Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Boost

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

That's a new one for me, the Metro had a pipe to the breather system as standard from that union. Trace the wire and see where it goes?

Yoda74

114 Posts
Member #: 11728
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

The wire seems to go inside the car, but the entire loom is wrapped, so it’s hard to see where it is going.

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

Never seen any kind of sensor fitted there. As standard it just has a non return valve and a pipe to the engine breather system. Has it had an electronic boost gauge fitted in the past, and this was the sensor for the gauge?

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Not that I know off.
I mailed minispares and asked them if they recognized it.
They say it is an oil pressure switch GPS133. Witch should work at 4psi.
Aan odd place for an oil pressure switch since there is no oil there. So it must have had a different function but what?
Is 4psi an odd coincedence ?

Edited by Yoda74 on 15th Dec, 2020.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

If its an oil pressure switch it will go to ground when 4psi is reached of exceeded. I'd be curious to temporarily terminate the cable to it to ground and see if its been used as a signal to switch your (and I use the term loosely) boost control?

Shane

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

I already bought a new switch.
I want to mount it and see if that makes a difference whatsoever.
But I don’t want to drive the mini now because salt has been spread on the roads here... pain on the ass... mini’s don’t like salt...

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Got the old switch out and got the new one in.
Didn’t drive yet so I don’t know what it does.
What I do know is that the old one has not been working for a while....

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

As I didn’t know what to do on Christmas morning I thought, let’s pull out the ecu, open it and check it for visible faults.
All looks tidy to me, except the connector for the pressuretube. It’s a bit dirty and greasy.
I remember when I pulled off the tube earlier this year, there als was some fluid (petrolish) in the tube/connector.
Maybe not very strange since the tube comes from the plenum and the ecu is at the lowest point, so if there is some fluid in there it can go to this connector.
I think there is some kind of pressure sensor in the black plastic housing, I don’t think I can open it, is it probable that it’s sensitive for fluid/dirt/grease ?

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Quite basic....they've just fitted a complete GM style MAP sensor inside it.

All such sensors would not like fluids and they should always be mounted with the signal line pointing down, and ideally high, to prevent any fluids gathering in them

Any part numbers on the sensor itself ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Thanks for the info Stevie.
Since I cannot open the plastic housing, I don’t know what is underneath, and I don’t know if there is a part number on the sensor.
I think a well known classic mini workshop here in the Netherlands has ecus in stock, I will call him and ask if I can borrow one to try and if that works well buy it.
I will fit it differently, not at the lowest point or with a curved tube with a t-piece at lowest point and a piece of transparent tube down from there with a plug, to catch unwanted moist

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Last week I send the ecu to a well known Dutch Mini garage.
They tested it and came to the conclusion that everything seems to work fine, except the pressuresensor....
The pressuresensor is the heart of the ecu if you ask me. They figured out what type the sensor is, it is not a Lucas and it seems to be used in more cars and is still available. They ordered one and will solder it in when they receive it. Will take a few weeks but because I won’t drive it in winter that is not a problem.
I’m very curious and can’t wait until it is spring.
I think I have been driving with too little boost for 3 years, since I got the mini... *oh well*
I always smile when I drive it, but I hope my smile will get even bigger next spring.

Edited by Yoda74 on 17th Jan, 2021.

Steve220

242 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

Personally i'd have binned that ecu ages ago and fitted a modern EBC.

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Every person has his own preference *smiley*

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Any progress to report?

Shane

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

@ Shane: read 3 replies back *smiley*

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Apologise I completely missed that post.
The sensor looks like a Delphi MAP sensor less the terminal plug, the pins look to be in the same place.
https://www.emeraldm3d.com/delphi-map-sensor-300kpa.html

Shane

Yoda74

114 Posts
Advanced Member

Uden, Holland

Looks a lot like it, less the plug.
My Mini garage has orderered a new sensor and will solder it in. I hope the ecu works like it should afterwards.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Boost
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: