Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > New 998t Build

wilsonc001

45 Posts
Member #: 11333

Well, it's not that new, I've had the engine kicking around for years and have been talking about turboing it for just as long. But things finally kicked up a gear during lockdown. The engine was reassembled (having been stripped a few years ago) and we picked up the manifold and down-pipe from Fusion Fabs yesterday....

Attachments:

Pete B

80 Posts
Member #: 11548
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

Looking good what turbo are you using I have a T2 that needs a rebuild but thinking of using an ihi rhf3 fiat 500 abarth on my 1098 build.

wilsonc001

45 Posts

I have an RHF3 here if you're interested (just put it on eBay), I couldn't use it as Matt couldn't quite get it to fit in the standard location but if you're DIYing it's a great size.

The one in the picture is a GT1544. I'm still playing with the location of the compressor outlet (and so the actuator) but it fits well.

Pete B

80 Posts
Member #: 11548
Advanced Member

Calne Wiltshire

OK I'm going to get a price to rebuild the T2 before I decide which way to go.

wilsonc001

45 Posts

Engine is now in and running!

Thanks to all those that post megajolt maps on here, I've put a few together to come up with something that should hopefully be good enough.

Next stop - back on its wheels and the first road test. Could all still go wrong!

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Looks great, good luck.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Nicely done!!

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

Nice install, I've just fitted a kp35 on my 998 with first road test last weekend (between the rain...) very pleased with the performance and will be interested to read how you get on.

Jeff

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Very neat

Andy500

869 Posts
Member #: 2443
Post Whore

Cheshire

Looks super! Have you got a spec of your build?

wilsonc001

45 Posts

Thanks, all.

On 18th May, 2021 Andy500 said:
Looks super! Have you got a spec of your build?

Nothing special, bog standard A+ 998. When measured, bores and crank journals were all within spec so standard replacements were used (it was a known low mileage unit). A very light tidy up of the head, just cleaning some casting junk nothing that'll affect performance. Keith Calver cam followers as they were well priced and trusted (compared to those from other suppliers).

Gearbox is rebuilt, standard except for the X-pin diff. Clutch is a MED Verto ST1 package.

As above, the turbo is a GT1544. I milled a little off the compressor housing so it could be clocked to allow the outlet to point downwards (for neater pipe routing). Boost control is with a Turbosmart actuator as they seemed to be the only ones that did a 7psi spring (I want a very safe base pressure).

Fueling is with an SPi fuel tank and Metro pressure regulator with AN6 lines. Planning to change the pump if everything works out and I can increase the boost a bit.

Electrical - Megajolt and AEM Failsafe Wideband. A neat pairing as I'm using the thresholds on the AEM to trigger the 2nd map on the Megajolt (so I can set a get-you-home advance map and rev limiter) and the analogue output of AFR is connected to the MJ aux.input so I can datalog it against load.

I think that's all the interesting stuff. It's the first major build I've done so I'm not expecting smooth sailing (to the extent that I have another 998 lined up *hehe!* )

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

What’s the 1544 off?

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

wilsonc001

45 Posts

On 18th May, 2021 Turbo Phil said:
What’s the 1544 off?

Phil.

I think it's mostly used on Fiats, Brava/Bravo (weasel).

wilsonc001

45 Posts

First test run and it's making all the noises I wanted it to...

ChooChoo...pssst!

Edited by wilsonc001 on 22nd May, 2021.

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

On 22nd May, 2021 wilsonc001 said:
First test run and it's making all the noises I wanted it to...

ChooChoo...pssst!

I think the noises add at least 10BHP !!!
I wouldnt mind comparing data logs if you do any megajolt logging whilst driving? Mine is very much a budget build with a stock 998 and i think, a slightly smaller turbo from Ford/Renault/ Dacia 1500 diesels. I am currently driving and adding a bit of advance. Not really having any detonation/pinking issues which has supprised me hugely. my old 1275 in the 90's suffered badly.

jeff

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Looks and sounds great! Nice little setup, the MJ to AEM configuration sounds smart too. Nice bit of motivation to get mine finished!

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

wilsonc001

45 Posts

All buttoned up ready for the MOT on Thursday....apart from the horn which packed up.

Edited by wilsonc001 on 1st Jun, 2021.

Mini_matt_106

14 Posts
Member #: 11947

This is brilliant! lovely build and noise!

Mini_matt_106

14 Posts

love this! looks super clean too

wilsonc001

45 Posts

Quick update to this - it all went wrong.

I did about ~3hrs driving and then it developed massive oil consumption and smoking. Few tweaks and changes (changing breather locations, valve stem seals etc..) didn't solve it but while i had the head off I spotted that the bores were smooth - they'd lost their honing marks. Basically I'd killed it by a likely combination of not breaking it in properly and/or running it too rich.

So it got stripped again but this time it went to AC Dodd for a rebore to +0.020".

I also buggered up the gearbox rebuild (crunchy 2nd gear), so while it was apart I rebuilt that again as well.

Put back together again over winter and it's just finished its first 100 miles. Turbo is going back on this weekend...

One more improvement - the routing for the oil drain was a bit awkward so I made a small 'sump' so the only hose was a straight drop.

Edited by wilsonc001 on 2nd Jun, 2022.

Yo-Han

967 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

Tidy!

Dazed and Confused....

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Very nicely done

In the 13's at last!.. Just

wilsonc001

45 Posts

Bit of an update!

With the 100 miles covered, I strapped the turbo back on just in time to get it to the MOT station ready to take to Castle Combe.

MOT pass was no issue but while sat idling at the test station it started to smoke again when it was moved around - not happy.

Got home, checked the plugs and they were all clean and looking down the bores showed no issues in there. Took it to Combe and it was a smoke machine but again, plugs were clean. So diagnosis was that the turbo must have a problem. And sure enough...

...oil leaking out of the turbine housing. It looks like despite this being a 'rebuilt' core, it was rebuilt with crap components and oil was just pouring into the turbine.

But...I wasn't entirely sure it wasn't my fancy drain thing so while it was apart I re-drilled the internal channels as wide as I could.

New core ordered from Autodocs...

And bolted back together again - shot down the back of the engine to show the drain fitment...

And finally we had a smoke free car (mostly, still got a little oil making it's way through the breather system so will be rejigging that next).

Also bolted on a shiney new radiator as well, just because...

Mini_matt_106

14 Posts

Awesome car, was good to chat to you at combe. really interested to see any more pictures of the turbo to intercooler pipe routing, you said the outlet is clocked down, so you have a U shape pipe? I'm trying to work out what the differences are between your turbo and mine.
Love that oil drain, great little piece of machining.

wilsonc001

45 Posts

To answer that with an image, I found an old picture of it mounted outside the car...

Home > 998cc > New 998t Build
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: