Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Headgasket failure and deposits on valves and plugs

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Member #: 11786
Advanced Member

I keep you guys updated - but wont be able to get it oit soon - this is going to be my winter project *wink*

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Does the Wideband that you are using have a 0 to 5v output that you can connect to the SC engine management and use to adjust the fueling?
Shane

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

hey, yeah i am feeding the afr gauge in the ECU but didnt use the closed loop. i was plannimg to use the closed loop in the off boost areas below 4000rpm once i habe a good setup otherwise

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 8th Oct, 2020 Joe C said:
a few scratches...

id say the bores are toast, if those marks were from the last build then oils getting up past the rings, if they are fresh then, either the rings have not got enough end gap, or theybe been mega hot, or det has taken the ring lands out.

Agree with Joe, but I'll just add one to the list - insufficient piston to bore clearance.

What make of piston (cast or forged), what was the bore clearance set to, and what were the ring gaps ?

Also I'm not clear if it is already +60 or you are intending to go to +60 because I doubt you will get away with just a hone to remove those "scratches". Can't be certain until the pistons are out and you see the full length of the bore plus the camera has picked up some funny reflection of the top of the piston, but I doubt it.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Is the polarity and scaling correct and not inverted or something daft? Just thinking of possible causes for it running into Det'.

On 10th Oct, 2020 JackZwiebel said:
hey, yeah i am feeding the afr gauge in the ECU but didnt use the closed loop. i was plannimg to use the closed loop in the off boost areas below 4000rpm once i habe a good setup otherwise

Shane

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

since i didnt build the engine in the first plave i dont know what make the pistons are - but the are forged pistons. I dont know what the clearnce is but my engine builder told me he uses a bigger clearance on turboed engines.

From measuring the bores (71,5mm) i assume it is at +40 right now. So i would go to +60.
Is a offset bore necessary at +60?

I did check the signal in the ecu with the value on the display of the wideband and it fitted perfectly in all areas. it also fitted the values from the wideband lambda from the RR.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 12th Oct, 2020 JackZwiebel said:
....... but the are forged pistons. I dont know what the clearnce is but my engine builder told me he uses a bigger clearance on turboed engines.

The bigger for turbo is good but some builders would even add a little bit more for forged pistons. Personally I would so it will be interesting to see (when you get to it in winter) if they have had a clearance issue.

On 12th Oct, 2020 JackZwiebel said:
From measuring the bores (71,5mm) i assume it is at +40 right now. So i would go to +60.
Is a offset bore necessary at +60?.

Theoretically no as it's a quoted factory size. It's very necessary if you were using the non-standard very large oversizes, like 73mm pistons (which is +094) or larger still because the wall thickness between 2 and 3 would not hold a gasket (and would flex under cylinder pressures stopping the rings sealing properly). At +60 you have still reduced that wall thickness where the gasket sits by 60 thou (30 thou removed from either side).
Some people might say do it at +60 just to help the gasket, but you're too late anyway - well, too late to do it in any meaningful way. With a used bore, and particularly one with "scratches" in them, they would still have to take a certain amount out of that middle wall just make sure it cleaned up and the cutting tool left a circular bore. So the offset achievable starting with a damaged +40 would be negligible.
I had mine done on a +nothing, just slightly worn, block (I'm 73mm, ie 1360cc).

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

Thanks for all that info.

I am currenty calculating the costs if i go the n/a route - mostyl because there are more people around who have experience with n/a than with turbo minis. And since i always wanted a n/a 7 port engine this would be a good occasion to go that way *wink*

I am in contact with SC aleady about the stuff i need.

Would you guys use forged pistons in n/a applications as well? Aiming for a CR of 11.25:1.

Also i want to get rid of my straight cut setup since its simply too loud for longer trips. I am thinking of replacing just the drops, but i am not sure how much it gets the noise down? Are helical drops with SC gearbox bearable or should i go right to the helical evolution gearbox from minispares?

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

7 port set up should be suitably fun. Cast pistons should be more than adequate for that set up.

I’d keep the sc box but go to helical drops.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Steve220

242 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

On 13th Oct, 2020 JackZwiebel said:
Thanks for all that info.

I am currenty calculating the costs if i go the n/a route - mostyl because there are more people around who have experience with n/a than with turbo minis. And since i always wanted a n/a 7 port engine this would be a good occasion to go that way *wink*

I am in contact with SC aleady about the stuff i need.

Would you guys use forged pistons in n/a applications as well? Aiming for a CR of 11.25:1.

Also i want to get rid of my straight cut setup since its simply too loud for longer trips. I am thinking of replacing just the drops, but i am not sure how much it gets the noise down? Are helical drops with SC gearbox bearable or should i go right to the helical evolution gearbox from minispares?

Go MS Evo Helical. Loads of high powered engines beginning to use these now and showing good results.

JackZwiebel

113 Posts
Advanced Member

Really depends if they are still in the budget. Guess going for helical drops will cut a lot of noise already.

Right now i am looking for what parts i will need and i have a question about calculating the CR.

I know the 7port head has 21.5cc chambers.
The headgasket has 4.32cc (measured)

So for the pistons i have a eye on these:
https://www.med-engineering.co.uk/engine-as...ast-pistons-060

they have a 6.5cc dish - added to the head gasket and the chamber i get a CR of 11.28 - what would be perfect.

BUT what about the ring gap of the cylinder and what about the piston protusion?
Can i mesure the piston protusion on the old pistons? are they all the same hight? I mean that depends if the block has ever been grindet.

And the ring gap around the piston to the rings? Do i consider this too in the calculation?

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Headgasket failure and deposits on valves and plugs
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: