Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Threaded block plugs - what material to use?

Minimutly

17 Posts
Member #: 12076

I've tapped my 1275 block, all the waterway holes, with the goal of using the three front studs and dry decking the block.My question is - what material should I use for where the new threaded stud holes overlap original block and "filler" material? My feeling is brass might cut similarly to cast, enough not to affect the machining anyway?
Thanks,
Huw

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

From memory (and I would have to check the notes I made from when I did it) I used EN1A bright mild round bar and threaded it with a 3/8 unc split die to get a nice “fitted” thread in the stud holes.

Shane

Edited by shane on 5th Oct, 2020.

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

Use cast iron bar, why mix two different materials unnecessarily?

Minimutly

17 Posts
Member #: 12076

Hmmm, why - because threading and screwing cast iron bar in is new territory for me, but appreciate it would be preffered.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I wouldn’t be deterred by it, it’s free cutting and easy to work with.
Shane

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I used low grade steel bolts but use a 2-flute mill to ‘drill’ the hole and the same chucking to tap the hole.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Threaded block plugs - what material to use?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: