Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Advanced Driver training/testing.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Either IAM or ROSPA

Anyone had any experience with either of them ?

Good or bad ?

My experience with IAM - which started over a year ago and should have been closed two months later but they won't leave me alone - has been nothing but appalling.

It's just that I've seen a few experiences similar to mine on the internet recently so just wondering if anyone else on here thought that getting an advanced qualification would be a good idea.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

graemec

940 Posts
Member #: 1424
Post Whore

Carnforth, Lancs

I’ve been a IAM member for about 20 years. Can’t say it’s ever been a hassle - they take my money and send me a cheap membership card and some glossy magazines every year.

Do I get any benefit from it? Probably not other than knowing I’ve done it. The ‘discounts’ are worth diddly squat and although it goes on my insurance quotes every year I’ve never been asked for proof.

bpirie1000

32 Posts
Member #: 1793

Aberdeen,Scotland

I would have to say that i would defend the IAM....

People these days spend so much money on things such as cars and bikes but they never spend money on themselves.

Take motorcycles for instance. (I know not everyone will get this but for reference)

They have no issues with a spend of

6,000 average on a bike.
1200+ for their waterproofs and protective clothes.
300+ for a helmet.
150+ footwear/gloves.

But what do they actually spend on training themselves to be safe.
100 for a cbt.(one day- legally required.)
300+ for a direct access course to pass a legally required test..

Then they stop their training and learn on the job as such

Spend alittle time listening to the IAM and you will develop.
Annoys me that most people driving will look only as far as the bumper of the car ahead of them.
So much can be gained from looking far distance.... middle distance and then... near distance(the bumpser).

Got to give yourself a chance to see stuff before it is a problem and we all pay far to much for insurance as it is...

Put some money into yourself to become a better driver...

Just my thoughts..

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I agree IAM is probably just knowing that you have done it, but it does have value for most people beyond that. I know I am swifter and safer than I used to be.
My experience of the Observers (the trainers) who are all unpaid volunteers is that with very few exceptions they are good people and nice to know.
I went on to do enhanced advance and had a great social scene as well.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Fun fact: My grandma was the oldest ever IAM member to pass her test and got some special award and honour. She was very proud of that. It seemed like a lot of palaver to me at the time, but seeing the crazies on the roads these days, yeah - I get it now...

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Just to clarify...

On 16th Oct, 2020 tadge44 said:
My experience of the Observers (the trainers) who are all unpaid volunteers is that with very few exceptions they are good people and nice to know.

I agree entirely and the guy I was allocated was brilliant, unpaid as you say but just enjoyed doing it.

On 16th Oct, 2020 tadge44 said:
I know I am swifter and safer than I used to be.

Again, I agree entirely.

But the organisation in Suffolk/Norfolk just doesn't work.

After I had done four "training" drives my "observer" said I was easily level one and got me a mock test which I passed with fifteen ones and only one two.

But try to get a real test in Suffolk/Norfolk...

This was October last year so long before the CV-19 issues.

I was offered a single date in December which clashed with Anna's chemo session for that month.

When I asked for an alternative date I got a very rude reply say that if I can't make his chosen date in December I would have to wait until late February or early March the next year.....

So I lost interest, and told them so.

But would they leave me alone ???

No.

First they started sending me emails offering March dates, then when the CV-19 thing started, I started getting emails saying I would have to wait until summer.... Every time I replied I'm not interested, leave me alone, and then I got an email from the examiner direct offering me a date....

And when I replied "I don't know which bit of "I'm not interested anymore" "and "do you really think I would get in a car with a complete stranger when I'm self isolating because of Anna's cancer/chemo" I just got a tirade of abuse back.

So whilst the "observers" are unpaid and brilliant, this examiner just wanted his fee, and only on a date of his choosing, and got really pissed off when I told him where to go.

I had to get the area (Norfolk) organiser to intervene.

So they have had their £150 from me for nothing, apart from the four sessions out with my "observer" for which he gets nothing and he lost the opportunity to have another level one student on his record.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Lot

112 Posts
Member #: 7030
Advanced Member

Bucks

I did the IAM 20+ years ago -- a volunteer sat in my car as a passenger guiding me through what the examiner would expect (left-foot braking a definite no-no). In the end, had my exam in Berkshire with a police man and passed (in a straight-cut Mini ofc). Fun part was giving the driving commentary.

No bad recollections, went to a few IAM meetings and let membership lapse after a few years.

Home > General Chat > Advanced Driver training/testing.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: