Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Lithium Battery Sizing

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Its not far away from the first fire up of the 16v engine. The old battery is well and truly dead and also the starter motor has been replaced for a 1.2kw Powerlite one.

As the battery needs replacing, might as well go for an upgrade but want to make sure its sized properly. Not keen on being too marginal for starting but equally no point spending extra money on capacity that will not be required. The car will be cold started down to about freezing and have EFI so hopefully one hit of the key and it should fire up fairly swiftly.

With these lithuim jobbies what sort of CCA rating would be sufficient, also capacity.

THinking of taking a punt on something like this. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle...ent_prod/248664

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Even that might be a touch marginal.

This is listed as being for the bigger bikes. and even the k1200!

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle...ent_prod/248659

Earwax

109 Posts
Member #: 10368
Advanced Member

Australia

I run a N/A race mini ( hi CR and powerlite Starter) with a lithium battery rated at 420cca.
(ssb brand lithium battery now over 4 years old).
There are newer versions with cca in the 500cca range - just depends on size /placement needs

Easily survives oil pressure cranking first and then fire up. It has been used at track temps as low as minus 6 % C. Get the correct charger to keep it maintained.

I put it under the passenger seat, behind the cross member.

Apart from super light weight (1.2 kgs total mass VS approx 8kg ) an Odyssey would also perform flawlessly. For a road car i would go AGM or Odyssey to have a bit more amp hour protection.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Thats helpful. Seems a minimum of 400cca will cover all bases and the Aliant YLP18 seems to have decent capacity too.

After a day of wiring today I need to get one ordered this week.

Attachments:

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

Did you buy that aliant one? did it all work ok?

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

I went with the Powerlite PS20 in the end. MSA approved so no hassle when it comes to scrutineering.

Also has loads of capacity for cold/repeated starts. Works well, and not flattened it despite several attempts to start the car yesterday unsuccesfully (fouled plugs)

Attachments:

Edited by minimole23 on 20th Apr, 2021.

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

Ah poo, i didnt see you'd replied to this till after I bought the aliant one.

My only concern now with the aliant is it says the max charge current is 20a and the output of the altenator is 60a. Does anyone know if that is cause for concern?

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Most seem to have regulators to avoid overcharging.

Think i killed mine at the weekend dropping a spanner shorting it out briefly. Sensitive little buggers.

Home > Technical Chat > Lithium Battery Sizing
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: