Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > New to the site, wanting tips on buying my first mini!

bozzydorfer

3 Posts
Member #: 12094

Hey guys, my name is Kane and I'm a 22 year old from bedford. Currently dont own a mini but looking for some tips on what to look for and how much to save up etc. My dad has always been interested in mini's, he currently has a mini (Mark 3 i think?)
He loves to keep his retro but im looking to buy one and turn it into a 'retro meets modern' turbo beast. Any advice on how much i should save and what to look for when viewing the car?
Thanks guys :)

Attachments:

wilsonc001

45 Posts
Member #: 11333

How much do you want to spend and how much work do you want to do?

The less work, the more you'll need to spend. You can buy a Mini from £1k up to £15k+ depending on what you're looking for.

If you're planning on buying a project, the main thing is to be honest with yourself when answering three simple questions -

Do you have the money to spend on it?

Do you have the time to work on it?

Do you have the space to work on it?

There are countless unfinished projects out there because people thought they had enough of all three, only for life to change and to have none of any.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Don't forget the skill set to take on a project or the tenacity to learn new skills to complete it, this is also a killer for projects, people biting off more than they can chew and giving up.

On 14th Dec, 2020 wilsonc001 said:
How much do you want to spend and how much work do you want to do?

The less work, the more you'll need to spend. You can buy a Mini from £1k up to £15k+ depending on what you're looking for.

If you're planning on buying a project, the main thing is to be honest with yourself when answering three simple questions -

Do you have the money to spend on it?

Do you have the time to work on it?

Do you have the space to work on it?

There are countless unfinished projects out there because people thought they had enough of all three, only for life to change and to have none of any.

Shane

bozzydorfer

3 Posts

I am extremely willing to give as much time as possible for the project and willing to learn all it takes to complete it, I have my dad for the mechanical advice as he has restored his to near perfect condition, he also has all the tools and books etc to help me with it, mainly just looking to sort out any bodywork issues (rust etc) and the interior, then new breaks shocks and hopefully a supercharger

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Member #: 2576
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

I have really mixed feelings.

You will learn loads from a project mini.

Problem is, mini's aren't cheap anymore - you can't buy one for £150 and nip down the scrapyard and buy an MG Metro engine for £45.

I think at 23 there might be better ways to spend cash - i wish i had not pissed so much money on minis when i should have been focused on buying a house rather than wasting money on renting shit holes flats because they had a garage.

I would really think about saving up every penny you can and maybe buy a fixer up flat or house and make that your project- particularly if you are living at home.

My mates that did this now have either several properties or were able to use the up lift in property values to fund businesses and two trained as pilots.

Also i realise i spent far to much time in my twenties tatting with cars when i should have been out and about getting up to no good with the ladies and maybe even travelling and having a laugh with your mates.

HOSS

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

If you want to do a car project think about doing something you can flip and earn a few quid on,. If you are keen on a mini something done nicely that is with standardish running gear will be easy to cash in and insure.

Turbo minis are often worth more in parts that they are as complete cars

I would check out salvage rebuilds UK on YouTube, they do some interesting projects.

HOSS

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

I'll echo what elfturbo said. I spent a lot on minis when I was working away and earnt some good money. Now a days I have a set amount I'm allowed to spend on the mini each month, it makes for slow progress but means that money i would or could spend on the mini im saving.

I'm not saying dont do it, but just set yourself a budget and work to that and stick to it. Buy a cheap daily you can potter about in, that way you haven't got the panic of having to keep a mini going all year round.

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

My partner has no idea what I spend on the Elf.

I suspect a hookers and cocaine habit might be cheaper. She would probably be more understanding if I did.

Still I am not spending so much in the pub at the moment.

The project Binky boys did an interesting Citroen C1 race car project over the summer. I said to my partner we could do some of the suspension mods to her C1. I am surprised there is not more of a scene around the Aygo / C1 like there is for the Lupo.

Rob from Salvage rebuilds UK says again he is surprised more young hobbyists don't get into the Fiat 500. Can pick up a damaged repairable cheap enough, and the parts are really cheap - like £38 for a front bumper and £30 for a rear.

Can pick up the abarth wheels etc really cheap too, while staying within something a younger person can afford to insure.

Easy to sell on too, plus you won't have hours of welding to do.

HOSS

bozzydorfer

3 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys
Just letting you know I do actually already live out of my parents house and have a brand new suzuki swift sport which is my daily driver as of now, so its not like I couldn't afford it in the long run.

I think I would take your guys advice and wait a few years whilst saving to actually buy one then come back to the forums once I have actually acquired one *happy*

Kane

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

By all means please take on board the sound advise above, but from my own personal experience life is very short, should be enjoyed, and you should do the things you want to. The key is moderation!! You can can have a project and be a grown up.

Shane

Elfturbo

116 Posts
Advanced Member

South Staffordshire

The swift is a nice motor. I am not sure about the new model but the old engine was built by their motorbike engine plant and is very high revving.

I would keep your ear to the ground - you never know a nice mini owned by little old lady might pop up in the local paper or on a card in the post office window.

Also if you see any parts cheap,you can always sell them on.

I really would not fancy a mini as a daily driver anymore. Modern cars just work with the minimum of maintenance.

I used to use the Elf as a daily - it was great fun, but every week i would have to spend time greasing the suspension, adjusting the rear brakes etc, plus 3000 miles soon comes around for an oil change.

HOSS

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Like Shane said life is short. I just know the prices of minis have gone up and if I sold up now I doubt I'd be able to purchase one again let alone with the engine I currently have. At the moment I'm trying to save for a house, and it's all about balance. I certainly read all the forums I could before I bought a mini. It helps build up useful knowledge

Home > Introduce Yourself > New to the site, wanting tips on buying my first mini!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: