Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Setting the timing on a K1200rs conversion

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Is there anything like what you can do with megajolt where you unplug the EDIS and it'll just run at 10 degrees?

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

On 28th Dec, 2020 chris_rd92 said:
I did venture out today to set the engine to top dead center and to see where the position of the missing tooth on the trigger wheel is in relation to it. But that fell flat on it's face when I realised that I can't get a spanner on the crank pully bolt to turn the engine over without removing the entire cooling system... Didn't fancy doing that in 1 degree weather so I retreated back inside in a bit of a huff...

put it in gear and rock the car forward or back if you can't get to the crank pully bolt.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Although the force racing conversion kit I had to also make a TDC pointer. The following might be helpful as reference to check the trigger wheel is roughly where it should be.

IMG_1257 by , on Flickr

Attachments:

Edited by minimole23 on 28th Dec, 2020.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I totally agree with that last comment.
When I built BMW conversion SC said just connect two wires and it will start right up _ and it did !

chris_rd92

15 Posts
Member #: 12098

Update: I've just got off the phone with John at SC after discussing our options. We've decided the engine is going back to SC to be set up on an engine dyno and run in. Obviously I'm gutted that I have to remove it from the car again as it was such a faff to get in (the thought of removing the manifold makes me shudder), but I'm just glad things are progressing.

I'm hoping to have it out by this weekend and ready to collect first thing next week.

chris_rd92

15 Posts

On 28th Dec, 2020 Steve220 said:
Was it a crate engine? As in you just dropped it in, or did you build it from their parts? Trying to work out if there may have been a point where you may have got the timing out. Main things to check are the cam timing and ignition timing. If the cam timing is correct and the ignition timing is right on the gun, then it is down to the mapping. Problem with cold starting is there are SO many variables; crank fueling, coolant temperature multiplier, inlet air temp multiplier, base fueling etc. Although the fuelling on the base map should be enough to at least get it to run, even if poorly on some throttle.

Yeah it was a crate engine. They built the whole thing for me.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

On 5th Jan, 2021 chris_rd92 said:
Update: I've just got off the phone with John at SC after discussing our options. We've decided the engine is going back to SC to be set up on an engine dyno and run in. Obviously I'm gutted that I have to remove it from the car again as it was such a faff to get in (the thought of removing the manifold makes me shudder), but I'm just glad things are progressing.

I'm hoping to have it out by this weekend and ready to collect first thing next week.

Kick in the nuts, but fair play to SC for standing by the build and sorting it out. We're in lockdown, what else were you going to spend your time doing?!

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Could you not of connected your laptop to the ECU and shared the data with John by something like teams or remote access?
Emerald offer a similar service to sort issues like this with their customers?
Half hour with the laptop (even if you had to pay SC) is worth while over spending several hours pulling and refitting the engine for a possible potentially easy fix?

Shane

Edited by shane on 5th Jan, 2021.

chris_rd92

15 Posts

On 5th Jan, 2021 e5tus said:
Kick in the nuts, but fair play to SC for standing by the build and sorting it out. We're in lockdown, what else were you going to spend your time doing?!

I had mixed feelings at first, but the way I see it I was planning on putting the car on a rolling road anyway to get an idea of power, but this means I won't have to. Yeah very true! Sometimes I wonder if the mini is preventing me from descending into madness, or if it's pushing me closer to it!

chris_rd92

15 Posts

On 5th Jan, 2021 shane said:
Could you not of connected your laptop to the ECU and shared the data with John by something like teams or remote access?
Emerald offer a similar service to sort issues like this with their customers?
Half hour with the laptop (even if you had to pay SC) is worth while over spending several hours pulling and refitting the engine for a possible potentially easy fix?

Shane

We spent hours doing exactly that mate. Still completely baffled! What will really drive me insane is if they put it on the dyno and it starts first time!

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Be interesting to know what the issue is.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I’m certainly curious.
Shane

chris_rd92

15 Posts

Hi guys, just another little update.

I pulled the engine out over the weekend. Rang SC on Monday morning to let them know it was ready, and they had a courier at my house that very afternoon. It arrived safe and sound yesterday, and they've begun getting it ready to go on the dyno some time next week.

The engine came out easily enough, the only tricky bits were the Y piece on the manifold not budging for hours, and also as I pulled the engine on the crane over the slam panel, the crane dropped and took a large chunk of paint off the slam panel, so I'll have to respray that. Not the end of the world as is needed a tidy up in that area anyway, but just a bit of a pain.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on progress

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Fingers crossed it’s a simple fix.

Shane

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

On 13th Jan, 2021 chris_rd92 said:
also as I pulled the engine on the crane over the slam panel, the crane dropped and took a large chunk of paint off the slam panel, so I'll have to respray that. Not the end of the world as is needed a tidy up in that area anyway, but just a bit of a pain.

My crane used to always run out of lift at the exact point I needed 10mm more, beat that panel up so many times!

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Setting the timing on a K1200rs conversion
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: