Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Nankang AR-1

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Out of curiosity has anyone used these?

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/...ack%20to%20shop.

Just looking for some feedback, and a comparison to the A032 would be ideal.
Seaching/googling the tyre a few places list it as a road legal track tyre, is this the case?
Anyone run them on a road car? If so how do they fare?

Thanks
Shane

Edited by shane on 30th Dec, 2020.

PEP

327 Posts
Member #: 1145

North Wales

I have been looking at these myself. Definitely a summer tyre. Would like a set of A048 yoko's but not E-marked. Take that as you will but if you end up smashing your car and they are a contributing factor YOUR FUCKED!
I know this from my own years of experience :(
Ill probably end up getting a set for summer then some A539's for winter. Just a thought :)

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Nankang/AR-1.htm

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

The A048's would have been my tyre of choice IF E marked. Being un enamoured with the A539 is what led to me originally going to 10's and the A032.
I'd originally dismissed the Nankangs as Id not realised they were road legal.

Shane

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Tyres do not need an E mark to be road legal. The rules are strange....the rules only state it is not legal in the UK to sell tyres for road use that do not have E marks ( and probably Europe too )

But you could easily buy a car in the US, with tyres that are not E marked ( or indeed tyres from the US that are not E marked ), it doesn't make them in any way illegal to use in the UK, nor dangerous.
I think some oddball Jap tyres may fall into that too when imports were bigger here. Lots of tyres even though very good, also only had low speed ratings because of the 112mph speed limiters on all cars. Not 100% sure if all those tyres back then had E marks either. But many tyre models were not available in the UK.

But Nankang although a joke tyre some years ago, have come a long way.

Edited by stevieturbo on 30th Dec, 2020.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Whats the deal with the " as they are intended to be used on pre 1990 cars only"
Shane

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

They are supposed to be a very very good tyre! Someone has used them in racing and found seconds a lap faster than mig slicks.

Pre 1990 cars do not need to have E marked tyres in the UK.

minimole23

4299 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

So a pre-1990 car could run the latest A048’s?

That will be a fun argument at the roadside with VOSA/traffic police.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I was having that very same thought.
Another question, am I right to think the A048's were road legal, if so what changed and when? With my car being off the road for so many years I'm off the pulse somewhat.

On 31st Dec, 2020 minimole23 said:
So a pre-1990 car could run the latest A048’s?

That will be a fun argument at the roadside with VOSA/traffic police.

Shane

Edited by shane on 31st Dec, 2020.

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Thats impressive!!
Car would mainly be road with occasional track use though.

On 31st Dec, 2020 jonny f said:
They are supposed to be a very very good tyre! Someone has used them in racing and found seconds a lap faster than mig slicks.

Pre 1990 cars do not need to have E marked tyres in the UK.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

That is cool BUT where does it say law wise bout this pre-1990 stuff?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

law wise, I've always used the MSA Blue book as a guide, Section L: Permitted Tyres

"...All tyres must carry an EEC 30 or EEC 108 ‘E’ mark. It is illegal to supply for public highway use new or part-worn tyres that are not ‘E’ or ‘e’ marked tyres (ie marked in accordance with requirements of EEC Regulation 30, 30.1, 30.2 or EC. Directive 92/23). This includes VR and ZR tyres (previously
exempt).
All new tyres sold from 01.11.2012 must be labelled in accordance with EU Reg 1222/2009
All new tyres produced after 01.11.2014 must be marked in accordance with UNECE Regulation 117
(ie carry S, W and R markings)..."

However: EU Regulation 1222/2009 for tyre labelling exempts tyres designed for use on cars first registered before the 1st October 1990

The tyres come with an exemption certificate too, I keep a copy in the car. This is for the Avon ACB10, I've not had a problem.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 31st Dec, 2020 D4VE said:
That is cool BUT where does it say law wise bout this pre-1990 stuff?

Maybe before 1990 there was no E marking or their sale rules were different. Certainly recent rules are very different.

hardly matters.

And we're not in the EU anymore lol.

Edited by stevieturbo on 2nd Jan, 2021.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

So if I'm reading that correctly (and excuse me if I haven't as I'm still on the backend of xmas/new year drunken haze) but you can fit NONE E marked tyres based on EU Regulation 1222/2009 to a pre '90 registered car?

If that's the case how does that argument sit with MOT/VOSA and the traffic plods falling foul of construction and use regulations? Is it a valid argument or merely a loop hole that wouldn't stand up in court if the poop hit the twirly thing?

TOYO have two tyres listed for cars pre 1990 ( https://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/toyo-310 ) and it does stipulate on their site that they are exempt from reg 1222/2009 as they are for pre '90 cars, however the Yoko in question states it as a competition tyre.
Shane

On 2nd Jan, 2021 e5tus said:
law wise, I've always used the MSA Blue book as a guide, Section L: Permitted Tyres

"...All tyres must carry an EEC 30 or EEC 108 ‘E’ mark. It is illegal to supply for public highway use new or part-worn tyres that are not ‘E’ or ‘e’ marked tyres (ie marked in accordance with requirements of EEC Regulation 30, 30.1, 30.2 or EC. Directive 92/23). This includes VR and ZR tyres (previously
exempt).
All new tyres sold from 01.11.2012 must be labelled in accordance with EU Reg 1222/2009
All new tyres produced after 01.11.2014 must be marked in accordance with UNECE Regulation 117
(ie carry S, W and R markings)..."

However: EU Regulation 1222/2009 for tyre labelling exempts tyres designed for use on cars first registered before the 1st October 1990

The tyres come with an exemption certificate too, I keep a copy in the car. This is for the Avon ACB10, I've not had a problem.

Edited by shane on 2nd Jan, 2021.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

If the MOT or roadside law man doesn’t know the rules then show them the rules!

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

On 2nd Jan, 2021 shane said:
So if I'm reading that correctly (and excuse me if I haven't as I'm still on the backend of xmas/new year drunken haze) but you can fit NONE E marked tyres based on EU Regulation 1222/2009 to a pre '90 registered car?

If that's the case how does that argument sit with MOT/VOSA and the traffic plods falling foul of construction and use regulations? Is it a valid argument or merely a loop hole that wouldn't stand up in court if the poop hit the twirly thing?

I have interpreted it that way, I have to have tyres from 1a or 1b for my class, and also need to be MOT'd and Taxed. Not been mentioned on MOT on either of our cars. The only mention of E marking in the MOT manual is regarding tyres marked "Not for road use"

"...You should only accept tyres with NHS, Not for Highway Use or similar markings if they have an ‘E’ marking and a number contained within a circle. Adjacent to this circle, the sidewall must also be marked with a six digit number, which may be preceded by 75R or similar marking.."

I'm sure it would have to be a very eagle eyed officer to notice, my car certainly has bigger more obvious targets for them to poke at first *hehe!*

Clear as mud right!?!

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Am I correct to believe the A048's have "competition use only" moulded into the side wall? If I'm correct then I'm surprised that it's never picked up by the tester?
One of my friends ran 13"s on his car and when questions he said he had no issue come MOT time?

When fudging around on the internet last night I found two suppliers that list the A048 as a road legal track tyre with no mention of pre 1990 usage.

Shane

Edited by shane on 3rd Jan, 2021.

e5tus

428 Posts

Dorset

Not sure about the Yokohama's, but interestingly (or maybe not) the Avon ACB-10 now has both "For racing purposes only, Not for highway use" and an E-Mark.

Listed as Road Legal and E marked on the Avon website. I'll continue to use, unless the darkside of 10's finally grabs me in the next iteration of the car.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

On 3rd Jan, 2021 shane said:
Am I correct to believe the A048's have "competition use only" moulded into the side wall? If I'm correct then I'm surprised that it's never picked up by the tester?
One of my friends ran 13"s on his car and when questions he said he had no issue come MOT time?

When fudging around on the internet last night I found two suppliers that list the A048 as a road legal track tyre with no mention of pre 1990 usage.

Shane

Did have 'competition use only'... DID have... is why it never got questioned mot time 🤣

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I found out the truth of that statement after posting the question here.

Shane

On 8th Jan, 2021 D4VE said:

On 3rd Jan, 2021 shane said:

Shane

Did have 'competition use only'... DID have... is why it never got questioned mot time 🤣
*Clapping**Clapping*

Home > General Chat > Nankang AR-1
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: