Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Clubby inner wing holes

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Theres 1 large hole on each side of clubby inner wings (not all i know) filled with grommets.. can anyone tell why they are there?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

graemec

940 Posts
Member #: 1424
Post Whore

Carnforth, Lancs

Copied from another forum:

"A little known fact!

Over the years I have heard all sorts of crap spoken why they were there, ie to line the bodies up etc etc.

My father worked as a development trimmer within the body and trim shop under the management of a chap called Gallimore within the experimental department at Longbridge. Dad also worked directly for Issy, who had an “advanced design cell” in the day.

As dad worked on the very first mini ( Austin Atlantic when he joined), the guys had more of a freedom to make suggestions, unlike today in CAD.

Dad was a keen motorcyclist, and we used to go watch racing especially Tony Rutter (RIP).

Dad watched bikes hit hard walls and guys got killed, until a bright spark realised to put crumple zones into the barriers. He saves many lives.

The mini. Dad and his college’s used to get many crashed cars back to see why the floors and roofs bent. Dad made a suggestion that the shell was actually too good! Yes too good.

He suggested cutting holes within the inner wings, to act in the same way as the bike crumple zones! The rest is history.

He was a clever chap, and a great bloke. Also many of his mates made designs that went into or changed production, just like the rally mechanics at Abingdon

It was a very different world then

Hope that helps

PAUL"

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Is that the clubby ones in specific or roundnose/minis in general?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

On 7th Jan, 2021 graemec said:
Copied from another forum:

"A little known fact!

Over the years I have heard all sorts of crap spoken why they were there, ie to line the bodies up etc etc.

My father worked as a development trimmer within the body and trim shop under the management of a chap called Gallimore within the experimental department at Longbridge. Dad also worked directly for Issy, who had an “advanced design cell” in the day.

As dad worked on the very first mini ( Austin Atlantic when he joined), the guys had more of a freedom to make suggestions, unlike today in CAD.

Dad was a keen motorcyclist, and we used to go watch racing especially Tony Rutter (RIP).

Dad watched bikes hit hard walls and guys got killed, until a bright spark realised to put crumple zones into the barriers. He saves many lives.

The mini. Dad and his college’s used to get many crashed cars back to see why the floors and roofs bent. Dad made a suggestion that the shell was actually too good! Yes too good.

He suggested cutting holes within the inner wings, to act in the same way as the bike crumple zones! The rest is history.

He was a clever chap, and a great bloke. Also many of his mates made designs that went into or changed production, just like the rally mechanics at Abingdon

It was a very different world then

Hope that helps

PAUL"

Was it his Dad he was chatting about??

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Clubby inner wing holes
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: