Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Beginners Tech > Subframe bolts

Shepster80

11 Posts
Member #: 12100

Hi

I am a newbie to this group so forgive me if a silly question, if silly. But is there suppose to be bolts on the subframe towers?? Both sides do not have any under the covers??

I am inspecting the car for engine mounts for movement issues as when I release the throttle there seems to be considerable movement from the front end of car.

Please advise.

Attachments:

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

That's a twin bolt subframe rather then the later single bolt one

Shepster80

11 Posts
Member #: 12100

So I assume there is no need for bolts then, as it’s bolted either side?

Steve220

242 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

On 11th Jan, 2021 Shepster80 said:
So I assume there is no need for bolts then, as it’s bolted either side?

Correct

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Yes, nice early twin bolt subframe, not like the later sloppy rubber mounted ones.

The big holes are from the original design to allow access for the cone spring compressor. They just used those holes later on for the single bolt design.

If you want to be 100% certain, lift the carpet in the footwell and look for the back end of the subframe mounting bolts through the floor. If they are on the fold between the sloping heel plate and the horizontal floor plate it's a solid mounted frame. If they are part way up the sloping heel plate (and most likely the plate is cracked...) then it's a sloppy rubber mounted frame.
Likewise, at the front corners of the subframe there should be a single bolt either side through the front lower panel, no rubber "teardrop" mountings, just bolts.

The early solid mounted frames are way better (IMO) so any movement is likely to be engine mounts or some suspension component.

There is one, but very rare, failure point on the subframe itself which seems to affect the solid mounted ones more than the rubber mounted ones, which is at the front corners. The plate that holds the front lower suspension tie bars can sometimes break its welds and just be left hanging by the corner mounting bolt.
It is rare but it's why a lot of us add a gusset plate in the corner to strengthen that area.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Home > Beginners Tech > Subframe bolts
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: