Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > Just starting my mini

bigbadslimjim

8 Posts
Member #: 12110

Starting the mini. Got the shell ready priming bits as I go so I can make sure it’s sealed and straight but this is my first venture. Had a few in the past but they were rust buckets and usually fell apart. Had a good look round the forum and already found some great info.

Edited by bigbadslimjim on 2nd Feb, 2021.

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Welcome. You'll find all the info you need here. I'd suggest a dry build before paint, nobody likes to have to make adjustments or modifications to a freshly painted shell!

bigbadslimjim

8 Posts

i'll probably have to do bits and bobs anyway once its all together, my dad was the one that was an expert in bodywork and mechanics but sadly he cant give me the advice anymore so i learn from my mistakes. like ive always said you never know till you try eh! and im learning a lot from my mistakes.

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Welcome.
Echo e5tus' recommendation re dry building a car first.
A man that makes no mistakes makes nothing!

Shane

bigbadslimjim

8 Posts

So you mean put it all together then take it all apart again?? My route was getting all the shell, doors, boot, windows, bonnet, lights and wiring looms fitted before I spray, obviously I’ll have to take a lot off again then get suspension and brakes sorted before I start on the engine and leave the interior till last. Is this what you mean?

Edited by bigbadslimjim on 2nd Feb, 2021.

bigbadslimjim

8 Posts

I’ve already done a load of welding on it and fitted 2 new rear quarters and rear valance. Done some bits on the on the hinge panels and made sure the doors fit properly and just brought all the new window and door seals so can make sure everything fits properly. Just didn’t know if I can fit the front and rear windows without knackering up the chrome insert if I took it out again but suppose I could leave that bit out until it’s painted.

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Build the car unpainted. Think about what you have and would change, make changes and improvements then when happy send for paint. There is nothing worse than drilling holes for brackets/cables/hoses in fresh paint.

Shane

On 2nd Feb, 2021 bigbadslimjim said:
So you mean put it all together then take it all apart again?? My route was getting all the shell, doors, boot, windows, bonnet, lights and wiring looms fitted before I spray, obviously I’ll have to take a lot off again then get suspension and brakes sorted before I start on the engine and leave the interior till last. Is this what you mean?

bigbadslimjim

8 Posts

Ah got you. I’ll be painting it myself tho. So see how that goes.

On 2nd Feb, 2021 shane said:

Build the car unpainted. Think about what you have and would change, make changes and improvements then when happy send for paint. There is nothing worse than drilling holes for brackets/cables/hoses in fresh paint.

Shane

On 2nd Feb, 2021 bigbadslimjim said:

bigbadslimjim

8 Posts

Well when I say just starting it I mean getting the paintwork done and getting windows, doors and lights fitted as think I’ve been on it for a few years now. Not an expert at anything really more a jack of all trades master of none!

Steve220

240 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

Take the advise above. I dry built my car almost completely before paint and it paid off as had to do some minor trimming and add brackets in for sensors etc. I also took the liberty of welding up holes that i wasn't going to use.

Home > Introduce Yourself > Just starting my mini
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: