Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > For those with milling machines - annular cutters.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

If you’ve not got a set of Annullar cutters, you need to get on eBay and buy a set.

These things punch through material in no time and make a hole that looks close to a bored finish.
I measured woth telescoping hole gauges, and the holes were all +/- .001” (0.025mm) - two perfect to size, one was .001” over and one .001 under.

It took under 30 sec to go thru this 1/2” alloy plate using the quill handle. It’s best to ‘peck drill” them to avoid the massive bunch of thin chips that’s created by the many cutting surfaces.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Any links to the ones you bought Dave? To help avoid shit quality ones.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

These look good 👌

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Three different brands here Phil - the 1-7/16 is Wansui Probor, the 1-1/4 and one 1-3/16 was Steel Dragon, and the last 1-3/16 was AC tool. All Chinese obviously, but I can’t tell them apart in quality.

I’m still in awe of how amazing these are....

FYI I’ll be using them to bore out the valve seat throat on RV8 heads; 1-3/16 and 1-7/16 are absolutely perfect sized for the typical oversize valves giving 88% on inlet and 85% on exhaust. I’ve got to take out so much material that this will be more effective than hand cutting. I’m going to make a mandrel to pilot them in the guide and mill them, but given how accurate they are made, and the number of cutting surfaces; I bet these could be adapted very easily to use with a mandrel piloting in the guide (or guide hole) to hog our a lot of material fast and easily using only a cordless hand drill...

Might be worth you experimenting with...

On 6th Apr, 2021 Turbo Phil said:
Any links to the ones you bought Dave? To help avoid shit quality ones.

Phil.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 7th Apr, 2021.

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

These are also called rotary broaches ?

I used one ( came with a kit ) to drill a hole in my sump years ago. Tiny pilot hole, and then as you say, cuts a super clean hole through the material.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I’ve never heard that term; the only other term I’ve heard then described as is a ‘slugger bit’.

Not sure if what you’re talking about looks more like this, I discovered these from the electricians at work Who use them for putting holes in panels. They make an absolutely perfect cut with no deburring - I certainly can’t say that about the old school hole-saw type.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 7th Apr, 2021.

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

I think broaching is a general term for a type of machine cutting, of which rotary broaching is one method that uses this type of tool. There is also linear broaching that is used for things such as cutting teeth on a gear, or a slot such as a keyway.

Edited by metroturbo on 8th Apr, 2021.

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I brought back a set of these when working out in South Korea a few years ago, I was amazed how well they cut a hole over your typical Starret hole saw, I've also used them in the lathe before for roughing/facing when I didn't have a flycutter to hand.

These annular cutters do appear to be similar/same as what you'd use in a Rotabroach/Magdrill, good results tho.

On 7th Apr, 2021 TurboDave16V said:
I’ve never heard that term; the only other term I’ve heard then described as is a ‘slugger bit’.

Not sure if what you’re talking about looks more like this, I discovered these from the electricians at work Who use them for putting holes in panels. They make an absolutely perfect cut with no deburring - I certainly can’t say that about the old school hole-saw type.

Shane

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

That's just a variation of a holesaw, albeit looks like it has carbide tips in it for hopefully a cleaner cut. As regular HSS holesaws are pretty terrible.
Haven't actually tried one of those yet.

First google of "rotary broach" brings up this, drills for mag drills. Or the term "rotabroach" is also common.
Seems there are lots of variations, or rotary broach can mean something different altogether.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/magnetic-drill-bits/5067430/

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Home > General Chat > For those with milling machines - annular cutters.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: