Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > Valve Seats and Valve Guides - Machining and Installation

JonnyAlpha

28 Posts
Member #: 12124

South West

Hi

Just joined this Forum looking for advice on, in the first instance, Cylinder Head work.
Coming clean though, I don't yet and am not not planning on a Turbo build - would love one, but can't afford a Turbo, would also love a Supercharger but same deal *smiley*

Anyway, I have been getting advice from a few known Mini Experts and practising on, what was sold as, a scrap cylinder head, however since cleaning it up, it seems to be free of the normal damaged that would declare a head scrap, e.g. cracks between the valve seats etc. It does have a couple cracks at the bases of the rocker stud holes though.

Anyway, I am doing this myself with minimal tools, I have just picked up a SH Neway Cutter Set, which came with a Neway 285 - 46 degree cutter and a 7mm adjustable guide, among some other bits.
I have access to a Warco Hobby Lathe and Pillar Drill.
I also have a DTI gauge and Magnetic Stand (Used for setting the engine timing)

I now need some advice in a couple of things:

Valve Seat cutting:

1. How do you ensure that the valve seats are at the same height?
2. Can you use a hand cutter in a battery powered drill (without a flexi drive)?
3. Can you use a hand cutter in a Pillar Drill?
4. If using a pillar drill, could I use a DTI gauge to get the seats at the correct heights
5. What tooling could I use to enlarge to ports to use 35.6mm inlets as opposed to 33.3mm valves?

What tooling could I use to cut a recess around the valve seat area to a specific height, this is to use as a guideline when raising the chamber roof? (similar to the recess that you see around the valve seat on a stock head.

Also:
6. If installing manganese bronze valve guides, where can I get the correct reamer to ensure the correct tolerance with the valve stems? Are these turned by hand or can I use the TailStock chuck on the lathe?
7. Without a hydraulic press, what is the best way of installing valve guides and getting the correct height?

Many thanks

My Mini Project: https://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index...howtopic=186159

My Mini Engine Project: https://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic...engine-project/

Speed is just a question of money, so, how fast do ya wanna go?

JonnyAlpha

28 Posts
Member #: 12124

South West

Can a Forum Moderator delete this post, it seems to be a duplicate of another in this section that I have now shortened and renamed.
Thanks

Speed is just a question of money, so, how fast do ya wanna go?

Home > Introduce Yourself > Valve Seats and Valve Guides - Machining and Installation
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: