Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Track, Drag & Race > tadge44 still on track

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Long time since I posted anything on here but I am still alive to anyone who remembers the blue blobule, which now resides in Poole as I sold it 3 years ago.

I have been using MX5,s on trackdays up till lockdown and had a short spell in Norwich General after a spectacular car barrier interface at Snetterton but have now rather outgrown road cars on track.

Three of us have formed a syndicate we call TOBI (the old boys indulgence) and are using a heavily modified MX5 with a 2.3 Duratec (247hp) and a championship winning BMW 320 to share on a programme of trackdays starting at Mallory next Tuesday.

I shall be 77 shortly thereafter and our combined ages are over 210 years so that may give hope to some of you youngsters ??

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

excellent.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Good stuff. I was actually in contact with the guy that bought your A35 just a few weeks ago.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I did consider buying it back Phil, but the reasons for selling havn,t changed so I went for the TOBI instead.

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

TOBI sounds a great idea. 250hp in a MX5 will do nicely!

Sorry to hear about the "interference" with the barrier, the less glamorous and often untold side of throwing cars about.

I'll keep an eye out for the blobule as it's local. Thank you for the hope that I may continue attempting to complete seasons for many years to come!

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Brilliant stuff!! What a fantastic idea.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Good to hear from you.

Please keep us informed of the TOBI escapades, I would like to hear how you get on.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Dry sunny day at Mallory and a good day out, even if it was sessions only. BMW performed well with only 140 bhp but it is a very stable and forgiving car. Our star driver managed 100mph indicated in the BMW on the exit to Gerrards but I spun the MX5 trying emulate him, fortunately without hitting anything or anyone.
MX5 is mental. with a temporary diff at 3.7 instead of the usual 4.4 we used only second and third and third gear at 7800rpm at the end of each straight is about 115mph
Cadwell next on 19 May with the MX5 suitably geared, hopefully

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Nice to hear from you.
Keep us up to date on your antics.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I am so very pleased that some of you remember me.
I would never have got a reliable turbo A series without all the help that I got unstintingly from so many of you

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 16th Apr, 2021 tadge44 said:

I shall be 77 shortly thereafter .....

Good to see you are still enjoying life.

I'll be 64 next week so only 13 years behind you.....

My "daily" is now a Focus ST3 (MK3.5), again 250HP but what a piece of s**t

In a straight line in the dry it's OK but wet and around the slightest bend, just forget it...

But its crap handling has inspired me to resurrect both the Mini project and finish restoring my Cossie (Saph 4X4)

Stay safe.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

On 21st Apr, 2021 Rod S said:
But its crap handling has inspired me to resurrect both the Mini project and finish restoring my Cossie (Saph 4X4)

Oh Yes! Great news

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

On 22nd Apr, 2021 e5tus said:
On 21st Apr, 2021 Rod S said:

Oh Yes! Great news

Agreed!!!

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Great stuff! I like the TOBI concept *Clapping*

'Where does the engine go?'

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Long gap again between posts.
Cadwell was great with no incidents and I managed a session in the BMW with consistent improvements in lap times finishing up 8 seconds quicker
However Richard had an evening trackday with relatives and managed to blow up the 2.3 in the MX5
it was only yesterday that we got the engine out and stripped. There was no piston at all in No 4, just the conrod and gudgeon pin flailing around !!! Never seen the like .that engine is now scrap so looking at alternatives,possibly 2.5
This means that it will be only one car at Snetterton this Thursday.
Snetterton is the circuit where I crashed heavily about 18 months ago and have not driven in since.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Beat the jinx at Snetterton and had a good day in the dry with some satisfying laps in close company with a pair of MX5,s

"Our" MX5 is awaiting the fitting of RX8 rear uprights, RX8 diff at the right ratio and the six speed gearbox all in preparation for a replacement 2.5 litre engine presently being built in Texas with all the right goodies.
Expected hp around 275 with a better spread of torque
Next outing Cadwell again on 22nd.

My swansong will be on Dec 8th, driving the Silverstone GP circuit.

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Are these common/easy modifications for a track mx5, or do they require a lot of fabrication?

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Enjoying these updates. New engine in the mx5 should make it a rocket.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Nic, much RX8 stuff is pretty much a straight swap. Diff is not, but not too much to do.
Mazda Mk 3 of course not sure about the earlier ones.
2 litre engine in Mk 3 is pretty much just a 2 litre Duratec Ford so all Duratec variations and tuning will fit.
Big scene in the US with MX,5,s even with V8 installed and no external evidence

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Last post on here at least on this subject
I have done 11 trackdays this year in the BMW and didn,t spin once.
Swansong was last Monday on the Silverstone Grand Prix circuit in the wheel tracks of Lewis and Max
Dry clear day and that circuit is awesome
Because we share a car and there was only two instead of three drivers I and we knew it was my last event I got lots of seat time and had a great day to put in the memory banks.
Definitely hanging up my crash hat for good now, at 77

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Great swansong! Being only a year or two behind you, I always think this year could be the last.

'Where does the engine go?'

Home > Track, Drag & Race > tadge44 still on track
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: