Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > k1200rs conversion - Cam pulley alignment slightly off.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Working through the last few teething issues with the k-head before MOT/rolling road. The intake cam pulley tracks nice and straight, whereas the exhaust seems to be running slightly off. Not much, a couple couple of mm, almost like its slightly oval, but may be just not quite sat home properly on the cam.

Any suggestions on things to investigate. My thoughts are make sure the dowel is not bottoming out at the end of the cam, and that there is no burrs/damage to base of the pulley or cam.

Got good access at the moment due to needing to lift the cam cover and strip ancillaries due to a leak around the water pump so might as well whip the pulley off and have a look.

Thanks

Attachments:

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I had the same issue on the exhaust pulley, I stripped deburred and dressed as you suggest and that solved the issue for me.

Shane

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

That’s good, will pull it apart and have a good look. May drop belt tension too.

Not up for re-timing it again in a hurry!

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Re timming it again isn't an issue, with the engine @TDC and with the cams on overlap add a couple of thin pen/paint lines to align the cams on the verniers (I usually use masking tape to create a fine gap to apply paint over then peel off). As long as you don't loosen the socket caps on the verniers everything should go back as it was removed.
It also serves as a good reference point when it's being set up on the rolling road.

On 9th May, 2021 minimole23 said:
That’s good, will pull it apart and have a good look. May drop belt tension too.

Not up for re-timing it again in a hurry!

Shane

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Will certainly do that, I will strip the veneer on this occasion to make sure there’s nothing in there throwing things out.

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

It would be a good time to make up some timing reference marks.
I modified a cheap flywheel locking tool, I cut and re-welded it to engage on true TDC, I then marked to two ring gear teeth either side of the tool to assist with the vernier markings.

Also if your pulling the vernier, remove the retaining bolts and check the four tapped retaining threads for proud burrs, these can make the outer runs off to the inner.

Shane

Edited by shane on 12th May, 2021.

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

Doesn't Jimster make so sort of locking tool for the cams. I sure it was on his website not having any luck getting it to load now though.

Edited by DILLIGAF on 14th May, 2023.

bowen747

22 Posts
Member #: 9839

Llanelli ,Wales

On 14th May, 2023 DILLIGAF said:
Doesn't Jimster make so sort of locking tool for the cams. I sure it was on his website not having any luck getting it to load now though.

have a look at this video about half way through he shows it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q78JA0H-tC4

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

That's the one Bowen *Clapping*

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > k1200rs conversion - Cam pulley alignment slightly off.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: