Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Gearbox

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

When i split my engine and box 10 odd years ago i checked the teeth on the gears sprayed it all up with oil, double wrapped it it rubble sacks and taped it up to stop the crud getting in. Prior to the issues with the engine i was not able to get it in reverse.

Box spec was MS straight cut clubman gears and tran x drop gears, gearbox had all the bearings done comp main shaft and did about 1600 miles roughly.

What should i be looking for parts wise in getting the box rebuilt outside of the standard stuff like gaskets? are things like the kad pinion support worth it? is there a better mainshaft now? i have an ATB to go in and obviously want to make it as reliable as possible.

Edited by wolfie on 23rd May, 2021.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

What power will you be running?

Not sure the quality of components has improved in the last 10 years, so as long as sorting reverse is a simple issue and it was all running well before, If there is no general wear and the baulk rings are all to tolerance I would probably leave them alone too.

Original Rover main and layshafts seem to be the way to go if you still have a few good ones left over.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Swiftune do a high quality main shaft.
I’ve had other aftermarket versions before and ended up putting a good used in instead, as they were poor quality.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Home > Technical Chat > Gearbox
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: