Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > What’s needed to get your mini back on the road and why haven’t you done it?

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I’ll start

Believe it or not, my mini is fully functional, but I need to add some resistors to stop it randomly flicking thru the three map slots on startup (only using one slot) and I really should fit the electric water pump and tiny CWA controller (but I can delay that till winter)...

I really don’t know why I’ve not driven it so much though.
Last significant change I made was switching from the golf throttle body down to the smaller Fiesta one, but although that definitely helped, I simply need to put the (smaller) GT2056 back on, as it was simply more fun to drive. The 20 year old me would have loved this; the coffin dodger me doesn’t... *frown*

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

Got to hone the bores on the block for the new pistons then build the rest of the engine up. Just lacking motivation with the lack of events this year/opportunities to use it. Rebuilt the girlfriends early in the first lock down, door skins/floor/sills and full respray. Just seem to have lost all my mojo at the minute.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

For the first time in 4 years - Nothing. MOT passed in June. Just waiting for a rolling road set up in August.

Edited by minimole23 on 6th Jul, 2021.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

I’m in the middle of completely rewiring mine. Having just replaced the drivers floor pan.
Then it’s on to the 19 point SD roll cage and a load of other stuff.
I’ve written off this year. Roll on next year.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

I’m on the road.

Next time it comes off it’ll be for wiring and tidying up the bodywork.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Member #: 375
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Im undertaking a full rebuild. Currently on the bodywork, more new panels than originals now!

Most of the welding should be finished by the end of the month. Then I need to get a weld in cage if anybody has any recommendations for a company that can sort it out.

Ron

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Castle Coombe 2010 I grenaded the engine, 9 years of no interest followed by a 2 year flourish of enthusiasm got it on the road again all be it looking very disheveled from its former glory.
Ive now made it homeless whilst we carry out an extension meaning no more progress until the adulting is completed.

Shane

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

Ha ha, good topic title. A bit of a confessional maybe.!
Well mine is actually on the road, but desperately needs a good resto. I daren't take it apart as it would probably stay apart. It's been off road for 20 odd years and I shoved a temporary 998 in it last year to get it back on the tarmac with minimal cost and time. So really it needs the 1275 engine and gearbox rebuidling, a fair bit of bodywork fettling and respray. Doesn't sound much when you say it out load.. my excuse is 80%lazy 10% lack of money and 10%lack of time. Could do with retiring to free up a bit more time *smiley*
Glad I put the 998 in tho, it's been good fun with its tiny turbo, and hopefully will motivate me to put the 1275 back together. Maybe this winter.....
Jeff

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Mine will go after a check over, just it's 998 N/A at the minute. The turbo engine is in meccano form in the garage at present.

What is stopping me? motivation, money, kids, pending wife, beer.

Will I sort it? Maybe,

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm stuck at about 99%. Just need to fit a new wiper switch, door cards, refit the intercooler since I re-routed the turbo oil drain, sort a dodgy temp sensor reading and fit the bonnet.

Not a lot but have no motivation whatsoever 🙁

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Need to fill the radiator. Fit a battery, indicators don't work. I was hoping to book the rolling road this month, but we're in the middle of buying a house so lacking money!

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Mine was on the road, and racing after a three year hiatus, but currently not wanting to run. Just had a week of unemployment which I spent on a farm, nice to have some time out and clear my mind.

I've cancelled next weekends races to buy me some time to get it sorted as we've a wedding this weekend. Goodwood is 7th August so better get it sorted soon!

Steve220

240 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

Car is still on the road, although will be off over winter to install the haltech. Re-wiring the entire engine bay as the current loom is garbage. Hoping to take advantage of the knock control, IACV and an ecu that isn't shit.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

there is some mould on the steering wheel .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Eewwwww. Most valid excuse of all

On 9th Jul, 2021 robert said:
there is some mould on the steering wheel .
*Clapping*

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Lol robert! 🤣

Mine needs everything.... i WAS on a roll but due to a few purchases, getting rid of a rented garage space and garage extension at home it is buried! And i mean buried!

Once thats all done i reckon 6 months n it could be on road.. but i know ill get distracted!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

PMSL!! good topic title!!

gradually chipping away at mine, tying to make everying everything fit...

to do... ( well main things)
make intercooler piping fit, pull engine and machie for K conversion,
swap baulk rings,
fit engine,
refettle everthing cause it wont go back the same...
rewire entire car

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

I’m road legal for the first time in a few years, although using the car has not be frequent at all.

As it would have been Avon Park weekend and it is gloriously sunny I may go and get really sun burnt, take the mini for a drive and then get horrendously drunk.

Or alternatively, I may smother myself in sun cream, have a Horlicks, and go to bed at 20.45 now I am so middle aged…..

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

I just need to get the engine dyno'd, fit it to the car and finish swapping out the suspension.

I havent had time the last 3 years

I seriously doubt it!

colas

564 Posts
Member #: 102
Post Whore

Pennsylvania USA

Nothing, was out in it yesterday.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

I pulled the mini to bits to sort out the rusty shell, decided it needed a complete floor, complete left side, complete right side, complete rear end and doors thought fuck that, sold the engine and drive train then bought an R53 mini cooper s
rusty shell is sat on a spit on my patio for now, going back on some wheels some how so i can move it
R53 will be getting some engine work and be on the strip next year after lockdown 33.9 is over *happy*

i just need to stop building other peoples shit and get on with my own lol i have a forged vxr engine in my workshop, its easier to spend someone elses money on big builds *happy**happy*

Edited by Brett on 20th Jul, 2021.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

On 20th Jul, 2021 Brett said:
thought fuck that, sold the engine and drive train then bought an R53 mini cooper s
rusty shell is sat on a spit on my patio for now, going back on some wheels some how so i can move it
R53 will be getting some engine work and be on the strip next year after lockdown 33.9 is over *happy*

I have to say, the lads that are campaigning them in our series are producing decent times. Only need to upgrade tyres, change pulley and maybe bigger brakes and it's a competitive vehicle in that class.

Oli

1733 Posts
Member #: 1910
Post Whore

Wilts

Mines all road legal and good to go, just don't get chance to go out for 'a drive' !

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
the pissed up clown stood back up, did a twirl and left bollock naked,

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

How long is a bit of string 😂

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 20th Jul, 2021 e5tus said:
On 20th Jul, 2021 Brett said:
thought fuck that, sold the engine and drive train then bought an R53 mini cooper s

I have to say, the lads that are campaigning them in our series are producing decent times. Only need to upgrade tyres, change pulley and maybe bigger brakes and it's a competitive vehicle in that class.

I remember driving my dads around 8 years ago and being impressed with the car as a package, now mine has been thoroughly cornered its still impressing me, its been pushed into joint daily duties as my daily / camper / van is fkd *frown* and im loving it *happy*

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Home > General Chat > What’s needed to get your mini back on the road and why haven’t you done it?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: