Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Door skin

Georgeb

61 Posts
Member #: 10810
Advanced Member

Kent,medway

Evening, Iv been offered a set of doors. Ones had the skin and bottom piece done the other is stripped and ready to have the bottom piece and skin done. Never done one before and a bit nervous but it’s a couple hundred quid cheaper than ones already done. Any advice or tips?
George

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The repair section depending on which version/make you use, is relativelty easy if you are OK with welding (and have a decent welder) but be carefull to make sure the final door frame height is correct before welding. Because most repair sections have the round ends and connect on the vertical part of the frame it's easy to mess up the overall height.

For the skin, I would only do it if you have (or can borrow) the correct skinning tool. It can be bodged with bits of wood, mole grips, g-clamps, hammers etc. but you will regret it and be using lots of filler afterwards.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

Take measurements top to bottom of the frame before cutting any metal away for reference of fitting the new section. After welding the new section in place test fit it in the car to be sure its ok.
It's not a bad idea to align the frame with the skin clamped to it on the car before knocking over the flanges to give more confidence in them being correct.
I use a steel block covered with a layer of masking tape and a decent planishing hammer to peen over the flanges, any hammer will do really, but a planishing hammer with a nice face will leave less marks in the metal.
Dont try to knock it right over in one go, do a little at a time and go all the way round the skin 2 or 3 times until it's completely wrapped round.
Hope that makes sense and helps

I seriously doubt it!

Georgeb

61 Posts
Member #: 10810
Advanced Member

Kent,medway

Thank you. Appreciate the advice

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Door skin
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: