Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > Turbo Power to Spare

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Member #: 11761
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

I was working in a large engine dyno cell today and had to share a pic of the engine output at idle. just chugging!!
Not sure what power this one makes at full load, but I think some of them are up near 6000 Hp at about 2500Rpm flat out.

Boost!!

Attachments:

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

272kw is 365hp

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

Yep, that's about right. Not a bad output for idling.. I think it was a 60 liter diesel generator engine. A small one!

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

If it's a generator set rated rpm is usually 1500 or 1800 rpm to give 50 or 60 cycle AC

'Where does the engine go?'

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

This was just an engine, i think they either get supplied as an engine for boats, pumps locos etc or built up into a Genset which then gets commissioned in its own right. On these tests they are partly to prove the engine works and partly to ensure or demonstrate that they make the specified power values. i have only ever seen them running through full RPM profiles, although i think they only go to 2000 or maybe 2500Rpm, but i don't know much about the test profiles.
They are mostly unspectacular as the soundproofing is pretty good, but when they cycle through a full load test you get a very good sense of the power coming through the floor and walls of the building. I recon it must be possible to measure Hp through ripples in your tea cup..

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

I agree! Before the days of H&S standing in the cell with a V12 making 1200 bhp next to you was mind blowing.

'Where does the engine go?'

Jd24-7

55 Posts
Advanced Member

Worcestershire

I think your spot on with health and safety. Sometimes it's good to feel a bit of danger!! The sobering thing on these lumps is watching the cranks and cams being fitted with a crane! Even the drive shaft to the dyno is 500kg. Its bad enough when something small pops put of a lathe chuck. Imagine one of these bouncing round the walls *smiley*

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > Turbo Power to Spare
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: