Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Beginners Tech > Low performance turbo engine max 125 hp

KristerO

3 Posts
Member #: 12186

The subject line says it all. Due to MOT rules i Sweden I would have to limit the power of my future Mini 1275 turbo engine to 125 hp. The design should be "tamper proof i.e. not easy to improve the power at the roadside. What is the best road to go? Smaller turbo than the popular 1752? No IC? low performance exhaust manifold? I am open for all suggestions.

Krister Olsson
Sweden

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Hi and welcome,

One of my first incarnations of turbo 1275 used a T2 from a Renault 5 turbo followed by a hybrid version of the same T2.
The stock T2 made the power you mention and made a very sprightly drivable car with modified head, cam and exhaust.
The T2 is old tech these days, Im not sure what the modern equivalent is.

Shane

Shane

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Hi Krister,

For that power, you may be overlooking the old T3, sure the lag is huge, but would do the job. Depends how you want the boost to be delivered. With regards to the anti-tamper, guess they don't like bleed valves or solenoids. Just a case of selecting an appropriate actuator for turbo I guess.

Wonder what there take is on programmable ignition?

KristerO

3 Posts

Trawling this forum I have found discussions about GT1548. Would that be a suitable turbo for my application?

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 29th Nov, 2021 KristerO said:
The subject line says it all. Due to MOT rules i Sweden I would have to limit the power of my future Mini 1275 turbo engine to 125 hp. The design should be "tamper proof i.e. not easy to improve the power at the roadside. What is the best road to go? Smaller turbo than the popular 1752? No IC? low performance exhaust manifold? I am open for all suggestions.

Krister Olsson
Sweden

I don't really see how any turbo setup could be tamper proof ? By nature they're easy to turn the boost up.

Although surely if it was all standard Metro turbo parts and setup ( ie 90hp or so ).....could they argue much about it ?

What in their eyes would make it tamper proof ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

KristerO

3 Posts

I have got one answer when checking swedish websites: dyno data, power AND boost pressure showing that the turbo works at its upper limit.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 3rd Dec, 2021 KristerO said:
I have got one answer when checking swedish websites: dyno data, power AND boost pressure showing that the turbo works at its upper limit.

But even OEM cars are not operating at their upper limit ? Almost all OE turbo cars can easily be modified to make a lot more power.

Although if you are looking for a low power setup, sizing a small turbo for very fast spool can make it feel more powerful everywhere anyway, so not always a bad thing. ( aside from torque which the gearbox may not be so happy about )

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

totally stock 998 , with low cr , and a small gt1544 turbo .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Home > Beginners Tech > Low performance turbo engine max 125 hp
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: