Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > MED T3 turbo camshaft or Phase 2 Turbo cam

jamesRs250

61 Posts
Member #: 12240
Advanced Member

Kent

Hi I have been searching what cam to get for my turbo build and I have decided on the Phase 2 cam but I have now seen the MED T3 camshaft. Is the Phase 2 worth the extra money? or are the cams basically the same?

Thanks

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Depends on what your build is for from my last dip into this subject the profiles for turbo charged A series cam shafts were very very close. The Kent 266, MG Metro and Mini speed offerings were very close in their figures for opening over lap duration and lift. Never had the figures for the ones your looking at. Like I said all depends on what the build is for not really sure this was of help🤔

Own the day

jamesRs250

61 Posts
Advanced Member

Kent

Yeah I have read alot about camshafts also sw5 looks a good choice. But these two are turbo specific cams.

Steve220

244 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

On 24th Aug, 2022 jamesRs250 said:
Yeah I have read alot about camshafts also sw5 looks a good choice. But these two are turbo specific cams.

I has the SW5 in my turbo built. Too much overlap to make good power and tailed off rapidly after 5k rpm. Went for a Kent 266 and it changed the car completely. Earlier boost and more power up top.

jamesRs250

61 Posts
Advanced Member

Kent

Thanks. sw5 was my choice for my N/A engine.

On 25th Aug, 2022 Steve220 said:

I has the SW5 in my turbo built. Too much overlap to make good power and tailed off rapidly after 5k rpm. Went for a Kent 266 and it changed the car completely. Earlier boost and more power up top.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

That's interesting, I was considering the SW5 for a 998 build.

Shane

Steve220

244 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

I went with the SW5 because of a thread on here. I've been to the same mapper (Chris at EFI Parts) with each of the cams in and he commented at how better the turbo spool and torque was with the 266 in it.

On 25th Aug, 2022 shane said:

That's interesting, I was considering the SW5 for a 998 build.

Shane

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

When you look at the turbo specific cams the one thing you notice is the lift at overlap although there is some is in the region of negligible flow I guess to minimise the amount of charge being sucked out the exhaust.

If you go online there is a very handy cam calculator where you can type in the exact characteristics you want in your cam and it will then give you the cam lobe profiles.

When I did this the figures it gave me were for the profile of the MG Metro Kent 266 and the Mini Speed turbo cam shafts. There were no figures for the SW5 available at the time

Ye Mr AC Dodd has a thread that contains most if not all the relevant cam shafts and their profiles the 266 and MG items are on there.
http://miniclassic.yuku.com/forum/viewtopi...61#.UnfMqhZvd8Y

Edited by Mr Joshua on 27th Aug, 2022.

Own the day

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

I used the SW5 decades ago in mine. Easily pulled over 7k, good driveability. No issues at all.

If it's falling flat at 5k, there are problems elsewhere.

Unless MAP:EMAP is less than 1:1, little is going to be sucked out the exhaust due to higher exhaust manifold pressure. That's why most turbo cams will have very little, or no overlap at all.
Of course that is very turbine dependent.

One thing is for sure, with a turbo setup, it's hard to go wrong with mild cams with little or no overlap. But lots can go wrong with bigger cams.
The worst I ever used was a 286. Great n/a, absolutely rubbish everywhere with the turbo.. Like really beyond rubbish unless you wanted no power to 5000rpm, then decent power from 5-8500rpm lol
Just horrific.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

jamesRs250

61 Posts
Advanced Member

Kent

I think I'm going to go for the Phase 2 camshaft I can't find anything bad about it. The 266 seems a popular choice as well.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > MED T3 turbo camshaft or Phase 2 Turbo cam
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: