Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Suitable cylinder head for turbo

jamesRs250

61 Posts
Member #: 12240
Advanced Member

Kent

Hi I have a cylinder head what has had work done years ago by minisport what they class as stage 3
37mm inlets/29mm exhaust valves
Double valve springs
Steel guides
Unleaded seats

Would this cylinder head be OK for being modified for your turbo spec? or would it be better off start with a unmodified head?

Or my other option is to keep my cylinder head as it is and find another cylinder head to be modified for turbo spec.

Are all 1275 cylinder heads good enough to use or is there a certain one to look out for?

Would any one recommend some one around Kent to modify a cylinder head for turbo spec?

Thanks

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

And what does anyone perceive as a "turbo spec" ?

A head that flows well, is ahead that flows well.

Ultimately what valves/parts are fitted will depend on usage.
Is it a mild road build, or a seriously hard used endurance racer ? or an all out max power drag racer ? all could be quite different.

Even a bog standard head could happily run in a very mild turbo setup.
Although I would prefer to see sodium filled exhaust valves where they are available, or at a minimum inconel exhaust valves or an equivalent material.
No idea what's available these days thouugh

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

The MG Metro head is my go to as it comes with the larger vales as standard all you really need to do is fit new valve guides, swap the exhaust valves for SS race valves and your good to go.
Your head as it stands would be good to go I would say

Own the day

jamesRs250

61 Posts
Member #: 12240
Advanced Member

Kent

The main thing I have noticed with cylinder heads modified for turbo spec are the valves are smaller size. Guessing they would be stronger because of the heat.
I not too fussed if u use this head or buy another one.
If I bought another one would any 1275 cylinder head be fine? because it will be getting work done to it anyway

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

If your modifying it then any 1275 would do. The reason for the smaller valves is to offset the potential for the head to crack between the valve seats due to heat.

Own the day

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

If your modifying it then any 1275 would do. The reason for the smaller valves is to offset the potential for the head to crack between the valve seats due to heat.

Own the day

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Suitable cylinder head for turbo
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: