Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Question on starter motors & flywheel rings

Barrieri

307 Posts
Member #: 11231

Hello All,

I've recently bought a MED lightened, pre-verto flywheel with pre-engage ring gear. I am now in the process of assembly and noticed that the two pre-engage starters I have available have different pinion gears; one with 10 teeth and one with 9 teeth. I asked MED which kind of pinion is compatible with their pre-engage ring gears and to my amusement, they said 11 teeth. I think I've never seen 11 teeth on a standard mini pre-engage starter. Can I just buy an 11 tooth pinion gear and change it on my starter ? Would it damage the flywheel ring if I just use a 9/10 tooth starter ?

Cheers

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

How many teeth does the ring gear on the flywheel have? 129?

I was always under the impression that a 9 tooth starter was correct for a mini.
The 10 tooth is from a metro, it will appear to work but doesn’t turn things over at the correct speed and chews itself up over time.

I never understood why it isn’t suitable for use in a mini when everything else is the same, but I have been caught out.

Earwax

109 Posts
Member #: 10368
Advanced Member

Australia

Hi Barrieri, I have had similar conflicting/confusing advice ( to me anyway).., ,so i am no help with the number of teeth. I had a Med lightened ( pre-engaged type) flywheel and found I needed a 2mm spacer to back off the starter motor. it could have been my flywheel sitting down the crank taper or the flywheel or the starter,, so not knocking the product at all,,,, just pays to check the ' bendix throw

minimole23

4301 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a lightweight starter motor with the correct pinion. Pretty sure for the pre-engaged it’s 11. If your using one you have perhaps put the flywheel in a vice and see how happily they mesh. 10 teeth is probably more correct than 9.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the A series and A+ flywheel ring gears have different Tpi so will grind themselves to dust over time?

Own the day

Yo-Han

968 Posts
Member #: 3228
Post Whore

North of the Netherlands

You are right; A series and A+ series flywheels and starters should not be mixed.
I have seen people do this because, "hey it works" and it will.
However for longevity it is the wrong thing to do.

I had a quick look to confirm the A+ starter (the one with integrated solenoid) has 9 teeth.
I don't have an A series near unfortunately.

On 9th Oct, 2022 Mr Joshua said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the A series and A+ flywheel ring gears have different Tpi so will grind themselves to dust over time?

Dazed and Confused....

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Question on starter motors & flywheel rings
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: