Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > What am I missing??

mattsmadmini

118 Posts
Member #: 9965
Advanced Member

Sydney, Australia!

G'day,

Have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out where I am going wrong with this engine.
Current specs:
1152cc
Gt17
Megajolt
Hyundai excel coil pack
Standard turbo hif44+intake+plenum
EFI pump with T piece as the return (too strong?)
Standard FRP

I have spark
I have fuel (maybe too much? Still trying to nail that down)
I have air

I have rebuilt the carb a couple of times now, even going so far as to block off a couple of the unused vents with grub screws.

I try to start and I just get back fires or no go whatsoever.

I've tried leads in a few different combinations 1-1, 2-2 etc, going so far as to placing 1-1, 3-2, 4-4 and 2-3.

I have a rolling road set up in a couple of weeks and would love to have this starting at least a little bit better before hand.

Have had it running pretty poorly prior to carb rebuild, can upload vid if need be.

Just feeling pretty shitty and down in dumps about it all, kind of hard to stay motivated!

“A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Isn't the Megajolt designed to run specifically with Ford EDIS + Coilpacks? How have you wired the Megajolt to the Hyundai Coilpack?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

Turbo Phil

4620 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

As above. Iirc Unless you’ve installed coil drivers into your Megajolt you’ll need to use the Ford Edis unit.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

mattsmadmini

118 Posts
Advanced Member

Sydney, Australia!

On 5th Oct, 2022 Mike-998 said:
Isn't the Megajolt designed to run specifically with Ford EDIS + Coilpacks? How have you wired the Megajolt to the Hyundai Coilpack?

It's been designed to run any wasted spark coilpack, drivers aren't needed unless you're using big draw items like LS1 coils etc. The excel unit is smaller and identical wiring to the ford unit. I'm getting great spark from them.

I have another day off today and will be trying a few different things to get it going. Will let you all know how I go!

“A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson

mattsmadmini

118 Posts
Advanced Member

Sydney, Australia!

Fuel pressure waaaaaay too high, am trying to source a restrictor fitting to bring pressure down to a reasonable level.

I think somewhere along the way I managed to wire coils in backwards?

Coil side 1-4-3-2
Eng side 2-3-1-4

Engine now running on whatever I put down carby throat, and has done so for multiple starts which is reassuring.

Will assess fuelling dilemma and let you know how I go!

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Ah yes, I've wired the coil pack backwards before. Hope you've got to the bottom of it. Always check the basics for the signal too, trigger wheel position and gap for sensor.

neilj1678

192 Posts
Member #: 1297
Advanced Member

Sunny Stockport

On 6th Oct, 2022 mattsmadmini said:
Fuel pressure waaaaaay too high, am trying to source a restrictor fitting to bring pressure down to a reasonable level.

How have you got your fuel system plumbed? The standard FPR should be keeping pressure at 3-4 psi at the carb, excess fuel should be returned to the tank or back to suction side of pump (T piece). If your pressure is way too high and the FPR is ok then you're plumbing is wrong and a restrictor won't help.

mattsmadmini

118 Posts
Advanced Member

Sydney, Australia!

On 6th Oct, 2022 neilj1678 said:

On 6th Oct, 2022 mattsmadmini said:

How have you got your fuel system plumbed? The standard FPR should be keeping pressure at 3-4 psi at the carb, excess fuel should be returned to the tank or back to suction side of pump (T piece). If your pressure is way too high and the FPR is ok then you're plumbing is wrong and a restrictor won't help.

Tank -> filter -> T-> EFI pump -> fpr-> carb

It's not the original malpassi fpr but do have one kicking about. Do I swap back to it?

Fuel line is 3/8 EFI hose from tank to carby.

neilj1678

192 Posts
Advanced Member

Sunny Stockport

When you say your fuel pressure is way too high, what is it?
Also, what are you using for a FPR if it's not the original malpassi type, how many connections has it got?

burcy35

177 Posts
Member #: 10990
Advanced Member

Hornsea

What size is your fuel return pipe?

mattsmadmini

118 Posts
Advanced Member

Sydney, Australia!

On 6th Oct, 2022 neilj1678 said:
When you say your fuel pressure is way too high, what is it?
Also, what are you using for a FPR if it's not the original malpassi type, how many connections has it got?

A generic fpr. All AN fittings etc, has all the right fittings plus pressure gauge. Unwound it still hits 20psi. Return line is also 3/8.

Steve220

244 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

You have an EFI FPR by the sounds of it. Useless on a low pressure system unless you have the largest return pipe known to man.

minimole23

4301 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

I would be using the standard turbo pressure regulator, if I recall delivering 3.5psi. If In good order fuel pressure will rise with boost.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

neilj1678

192 Posts
Advanced Member

Sunny Stockport

On 7th Oct, 2022 mattsmadmini said:

A generic fpr. All AN fittings etc, has all the right fittings plus pressure gauge. Unwound it still hits 20psi. Return line is also 3/8.

That will be for fuel injection and designed to run at about 45 psi / 3 bar. You need the standard Metro Turbo type regulator for a carb installation, which will run at 3-4 psi.

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

completely wrong reg, total waste of time doing anything until you have sensible fuel pressure.

And hope you haven't absolutely drowned the engine in petrol. Sump is likely full of it by now !!

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

The metro turbo also had a resistor fitted to the fuel pump, if your running spi or mpi fuel lines it may help in lowing your fuel pressure.

Own the day

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

various options here depending on which direction you want the pipes pointing.

https://www.weberperformance.com.au/index.p...Path=59_276_277

I would not be putting resistors before the fuel pump.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

The resistor is fitted in the power +ve feed to the pump to slow it down clearly shown in the wiring diagram.

On 9th Oct, 2022 stevieturbo said:

Own the day

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 9th Oct, 2022 Mr Joshua said:

The resistor is fitted in the power +ve feed to the pump to slow it down clearly shown in the wiring diagram.

On 9th Oct, 2022 stevieturbo said:

It may be, but that is a poor way of reducing the output of a motor, and I would never be doing it.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

mattsmadmini

118 Posts
Advanced Member

Sydney, Australia!

New Aeroflow fuel reg. Best money I've spent yet. AN lines... Will eventually go down the AN all the things, but just need to get it good enough for dyno next weekend.

Need to put pics and vids up...

Turn key starts first time, very rich... Need to check connections on wideband keep getting and E2 error code.

Replacing clutch slave cylinder tomorrow, then should be able to go for his first drive under power in over 4yrs!

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

I did look at the Aeroflow ones as well, but didn't see any with a pressure reference on the top for boosty use.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

mattsmadmini

118 Posts
Advanced Member

Sydney, Australia!

On 12th Oct, 2022 stevieturbo said:
I did look at the Aeroflow ones as well, but didn't see any with a pressure reference on the top for boosty use.

AF66-2059BLK

2 supplied springs for 3-20 or 30-60psi, small, well made and has a great constant regulated flow. 1:1 boost reference. Good option for turbo carby cars

mattsmadmini

118 Posts
Advanced Member

Sydney, Australia!

Just went for first shake down run around the block. God I missed this car...

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Looks a nice piece, didn't see that one listed. But should be spot on.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

Glad it's running. Let us know how the dyno goes

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > What am I missing??
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: