Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > What compression ratio for 200+bhp

racer_pete

100 Posts
Member #: 4826
Advanced Member

Isleworth

Hi guys, I'm currently collecting parts for my Morris Ital van that I'm boosting. I will be using a good old T3 turbo.

10 years ago I did the same on my mini, using a genuine 1275 metro turbo block and pistons. I was running 14psi of boost and was a good laugh, it had a modified head, cam, brand new T3. I never had it on the rolling road but from others running a similar spec I guessed it was around the 140bhp mark. Didn't know what the compression ratio was on it.. a bit silly I know.

My question is what compression ratio should I am for, I know that a too low compression ratio will cause it to a bit of a dog off boost, but I don't really mind that, (to a certain extent) I was thinking around 8.1:1 C/R and running around 18/20psi. I have seen others running even lower and obviously gaining more power.

Also what spec cylinder head would you go for regarding what size valves.

So the spec I am going for with this build is -

A plus in-line engine
1293cc
Reconditioned T3 turbo
(Cylinder head undecided on spec)
Plus 20 Forged omega 18cc Pistons
Ph2 turbo cam
Aldon turbo dizzy
big front mount intercooler
Swiftune alloy/alloy duplex
2" maniflow exhaust system
ARP con rod bolts
ARP 11 head stud kit

Final drive 3.6:1/13" wheels

Thanks.

Steve220

246 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

What rods?

8.1 will be fine, but to be honest, the way you fuel and control ignition is far more important. I run 8.6 and make around 180bhp on a gt1752

racer_pete

100 Posts
Advanced Member

Isleworth

Standard a+ rods.

I know a lot of people use megajolt or similar now for ignition but to begin I'd rather use a dizzy.

Cheers.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Using a more modern turbo and Megajolt will make a more drivable (and enjoyable) car.

Shane

stevieturbo

3575 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 18th Feb, 2023 racer_pete said:
Hi guys, I'm currently collecting parts for my Morris Ital van that I'm boosting. I will be using a good old T3 turbo.

10 years ago I did the same on my mini, using a genuine 1275 metro turbo block and pistons. I was running 14psi of boost and was a good laugh, it had a modified head, cam, brand new T3. I never had it on the rolling road but from others running a similar spec I guessed it was around the 140bhp mark. Didn't know what the compression ratio was on it.. a bit silly I know.

My question is what compression ratio should I am for, I know that a too low compression ratio will cause it to a bit of a dog off boost, but I don't really mind that, (to a certain extent) I was thinking around 8.1:1 C/R and running around 18/20psi. I have seen others running even lower and obviously gaining more power.

Also what spec cylinder head would you go for regarding what size valves.

So the spec I am going for with this build is -

A plus in-line engine
1293cc
Reconditioned T3 turbo
(Cylinder head undecided on spec)
Plus 20 Forged omega 18cc Pistons
Ph2 turbo cam
Aldon turbo dizzy
big front mount intercooler
Swiftune alloy/alloy duplex
2" maniflow exhaust system
ARP con rod bolts
ARP 11 head stud kit

Final drive 3.6:1/13" wheels

Thanks.

Most important aspect, what fuel ?

And if you do not have good mappable ignition at a minimum...you'll need to be more cautious

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Steve220

246 Posts

Shropshire

On 18th Feb, 2023 racer_pete said:
Standard a+ rods.

I know a lot of people use megajolt or similar now for ignition but to begin I'd rather use a dizzy.

Cheers.

Doubt you'll make 200bhp easily on a dizzy set up. You really need to be precise with the igntion at high boost otherwise you'll have a gearbox full of pistons. Anything above 150bhp (imo) you really need to invest in proper ignition.

Also a 3.6:1 FD is WAY to short. You need to be looknig 3.1/3.2.

Edited by Steve220 on 19th Feb, 2023.

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

I stuck to a dizzy for ages, belligerently, before going MJ and never looking back.

I agree with the comments above on the FD too. When I had the Metro Turbo 3.2:1 it was far nicer on the road than the 3.75:1 I used with the SC box for competition. Now going to 3.1:1 in the turbo.

Be interesting to see what you get out of that spec, I was at the dyno against a very similar spec in April 2021 (125.8hp @ 5385 & 135lbs/ft @ 4174)

Either way, good luck and let us know how you get on.

racer_pete

100 Posts
Advanced Member

Isleworth

3.6:1 is the highest I can go unfortunately, that's the car ratio, the commercial ratio is even worse.

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Why is 3.6:1 the highest you can go out of interest?
Is it due to the vehicle being RWD and that's the only diff ratios available?

If that's not the case, comparison below of FD's

A 175/50/13 tyre with a 3.4 diff is 16.43 MPH per 1000 RPM.
With a 3.2 diff gives 18.49 MPH per 1000 RPM.
The 3.4 gives 70MPH at around 4300 rpm vs 3800 of the 3.2.

Shane

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

What driveline are you using? If standard then it will be very marginal with 200bhp. For comparison I have 8.2 CR, megajolt,GT1752, c230bhp from 23 psi boost with cerometallic paddle clutch, type 9 sccr box and English/Atlas hybrid axle 4.2 ratio. Everything less broke. *happy*

'Where does the engine go?'

jason050377

29 Posts
Member #: 12072

I know this is off topic but since we are talking about final drive ratios. What final drive do you guys think is best for quarter mile sprints ?

Steve220

246 Posts

Shropshire

On 24th Feb, 2023 jason050377 said:
I know this is off topic but since we are talking about final drive ratios. What final drive do you guys think is best for quarter mile sprints ?

Simon (turbo mk1) on here used to quarter his mini, maybe worth a message to him. Its a fine balance between acceleration and top end, as you don't want to be bouncing of the limiter in 4th before you cross the line!

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Turbo choice I think can make a huge difference, one of the earlier incarnations of my car I ran a hybrid T2 with a 3:1 FD (.958 drops) and that worked well at 150HP. It used to spool from low revs and launch brilliantly but would run out of puff by the end of the 1/4 but still would run mid to low 14's, I did manage to get in to the 13's eventually with a little more fettling.

I think I prefer that engine to my blown twin cam.

Shane

On 25th Feb, 2023 Steve220 said:

Simon (turbo mk1) on here used to quarter his mini, maybe worth a message to him. Its a fine balance between acceleration and top end, as you don't want to be bouncing of the limiter in 4th before you cross the line!

Mr Joshua

2487 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

When you talk about ignition control are you only concerned with improved advance, or are you also saying multiple sparks per combustion cycle to help produce a better burn and gain better emissions?

Own the day

stevieturbo

3575 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Depends how much traction, depends on how much power, depends what sort of gear/rpm/mph you aim or expect to be at the line.

Lots of variables. No one size fits all.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

stevieturbo

3575 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 25th Feb, 2023 Steve220 said:

Back in 1994 I was crossing the line still in 3rd, albeit at only 101mph just starting to grip late on

3.1 and 13" tyres made for relatively tall gearing for a Mini, but made it more bearable to drive daily and allowed it a modicum of decent top end. But 1st gear with the SC gears was quite tall overall, which was a downside when driving off.

But not ideal for 1/4 really.

Edited by stevieturbo on 26th Feb, 2023.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > What compression ratio for 200+bhp
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: