Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Beginners Tech > Turbo to induction filter hose

Sheepteeth

4 Posts
Member #: 12259

Longtime lurker, first time poster. So be nice.

I’m struggling for space between the bulkhead, radiator hose, timing cover and everything else to fit a tidy induction pipe. I’ve got a 90deg silicone hose or a normal metro turbo style bendy pipe but I’m not convinced either will last. As it’s still tight and I’ve canted the engine over as far as I can.

I suppose the question is, if I drop from a 60mm to say a 50mm hose from the turbo inlet, will it affect the performance too much seeing as it’s an HIF44 carb?

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

You should have clearance, but then again where are you trying to duct to. My hose has an armored cuff so it's fairly larger od than the compressor inlet, but my air filter is under the inner wing so routing is easier than anywhere else in the engine bay

Own the day

Steve220

244 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

Probably over thinking it. I'm running a 52mm tube from the turbo to a filter at the front and made 180bhp at 18psi.

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

There’s enough room if you make it. I have a 70mm hose on mine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MEW5519BHR6qXBZ27

In the 13's at last!.. Just

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Better image
https://photos.app.goo.gl/x3vPv99xzLxw1Fg87

In the 13's at last!.. Just

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Do not til the engine forward.

Post a picture of either what you're trying to do, or trying to achieve with placement.

And pipe size in the atmos side, and boosted side do not correlate. Keep it simple and keep the hose the same size as on the turbo inlet itself.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

I've done the same, 90 degree silicone then a 45 degree joiner to the air filter. I never got on with the convoluted pipe stuff, always ended up with holes and tears.

This probably shows it better..

Sheepteeth

4 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve got the original T3 set up along with a silicone 90 that I’m trying just to get passed between the bulkhead and it’s tight between there and the radiator lower hose and the actuator. I haven’t got as far as routing yet which I’m open to over the top of the thermostat housing or through the wing or just by the wiper motor.

I think I probably am overthinking it a bit but in the past I’ve had the convoluted tube wear and hole as it’s so tight.

I’m wondering if the bulkhead box isn’t over far enough. Will post a pic when I can.

Sheepteeth

4 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve got the original T3 set up along with a silicone 90 that I’m trying just to get passed between the bulkhead and it’s tight between there and the radiator lower hose and the actuator. I haven’t got as far as routing yet which I’m open to over the top of the thermostat housing or through the wing or just by the wiper motor.

I think I probably am overthinking it a bit but in the past I’ve had the convoluted tube wear and hole as it’s so tight.

I’m wondering if the bulkhead box isn’t over far enough. Will post a pic when I can.

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

I guess nobody makes the ERA mini turbo air filter enclosure anymore to fit the filter in the passenger wing area ?

It was a neat option

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

On 30th Jun, 2023 Sheepteeth said:
The avonbar box came with a small bent square to "chamfer" the square corner of the crossmember, if that kinda thing hasn't been done, maybe why you can't find enough room. I leave the silicone attached to turbo before fitment, next to impossible to fit in situ.

You can just make out the diagonal cut to the crossmember here..

Sheepteeth

4 Posts

Yep mines practically a 90, very little chamfer. I’ve gone for a 60-52 90 deg silicone hose and it seems to fit nicely with an aluminium joiner. But, I wish I had that chamfer like you with that much room. Thanks for posting the pics all, been a big help.

neilj1678

192 Posts
Member #: 1297
Advanced Member

Sunny Stockport

On 30th Jun, 2023 stevieturbo said:
I guess nobody makes the ERA mini turbo air filter enclosure anymore to fit the filter in the passenger wing area ?

It was a neat option

Somebody told me years ago that the ERA housing was in fact from Ford; XR3i if I remember correctly. How true that is I don't know

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

If you want a filter for under the inner wing, just go visit your local scrapyard and find something suitable.

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 12th Jul, 2023 neilj1678 said:

On 30th Jun, 2023 stevieturbo said:

It was a neat option

Somebody told me years ago that the ERA housing was in fact from Ford; XR3i if I remember correctly. How true that is I don't know

The housing is custom for the Mini, but the filter itself is an XR3i fitment. I bought the airbox for mine years ago when I had it, as the ERA parts were available through the Rover dealers at the time.
I still have the car, it's totally rotten now.....just left it to rot :( I'd moved onto other projects.
Would like to rebuild some day, but I just know I wouldn't drive it.

Pipe routes to the inner wing past the wiper motor, and then at the front pre-filter I routed it down to where the air intake would normally be for the left side air vent for the cabin.
I guess I could have routed the filter inlet into the cabin for more noises LOL

But for all those using silicone, the flexible neoprene wire wound type hose is often easier and better to route different ways

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Home > Beginners Tech > Turbo to induction filter hose
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: