Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Beginners Tech > MG Metro heat exchanger hose connections

Streetscreamer

112 Posts
Member #: 10125
Advanced Member

Zoetermeer, The Netherlands

Hi there, as far as I know the MG Metro and Metro turbo had an oil/water heat exchanger that was mounted to the oil filter. I am planning to install such heat exchanger but I dont know the proper locations where to connect the water hoses to the engine system. Of course I want to retain proper function of the interior heater. So, anybody who knows the two points where these hoses are linked to the colling system of the engine?

Many thanks!

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

I thought that was an oil stat, that bypassed the oil cooler when oil temp was low.

Own the day

Streetscreamer

112 Posts
Advanced Member

Sorry Mr Joshua, its not an oil stat. It is the device like a small donut screwed in between the oil filter and oil filter holder. This also needs to be connected to the water cooling system. My question is where to connect these hose to the cooling system in order to make it work well and maintain the interior heating. I hoped somebody with a genuine MG Metro could tell me straight away ( fiy: I will use this heat exchanger only to be sure the oil warms up well, not to cool. Currently this is for an A series engine in an Austin A40 Farina. They hardly get the right temps even when racing the car. No gears in the oil to create friction, sump sticks down well in the wind.)

Thanks!

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Very interesting I've broken many mg engines and have not come across what you have I've only ever come across the Mocol unit. Any chance of a picture.

Own the day

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

All the MG defo had the oil to water cooler, or at least all the ones I've owned and broken have. It's not usually used in a Mini as it requires the front subframe cross member modifying. Plus it puts more heat into the minis already struggling cooling system.

Streetscreamer

112 Posts
Advanced Member

Type of heat exchanger is quite similar to Ford :
https://lodgeautocentreshop.co/wp-content/u...6/IMG_38311.jpg

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Im thinking it has to go in series into the same circuit as the inlet manifold.

I'm going for a rummage i've got one complete Mg unit and the components for several laying around.

Edited by Mr Joshua on 22nd Nov, 2023.

Own the day

Streetscreamer

112 Posts
Advanced Member

That makes sense Mr Joshua! Curious where the heating pipe of manifold will be connected to the rest of coolant circuit.. gracias!

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Mpi bottom hose and the sandwich plate. Or use the heater take off above no.4 without the sandwich plate. In both cases you will need to split the flow with each circuit returning into the two returns in the bottom hose. I adopted the heater take off method to help scavenge the hot water from around no.4

Own the day

Streetscreamer

112 Posts
Advanced Member

Thanks , I will study the routings for the solution with using the heater take off.

viz139

108 Posts
Member #: 9182
Advanced Member

That intercooler was fitted to the MG Metro but not the MG Metro Turbo. I'm a little confused by your post, are you trying to cool the oil or heat it up for racing?

Home > Beginners Tech > MG Metro heat exchanger hose connections
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: