Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > OT - renew drivers licence / towing in U.K. with a foreign licence?

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

My UK licence expired quite a few years ago (I obvs have my Jonny foreigner license); I’m just curious what that means in reality to renew it? Reason is I can see having to spend some time in the future helping my dad clear up stuff, and being able to legally drive (his pickup while towing different trailers) would be beneficial. I’m looking at a parallel path of seeing the insurance aspect of towing with a foreign licence, but not sure what the laws are on that?

Cheers,
TD

Edited by TurboDave16V on 7th Dec, 2023.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I don't know the answer Dave, however what might be useful info is that over the Covid period they rescinded the need to take and pass a separate trailer test, so as long as you have car entitlement, you also have trailer entitlement.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

S88 of the Road Traffic Act, 1988 provides that visitors and new residents who hold a valid driver’s licence from another jurisdiction may not use that licence, “beyond the expiration of the period of one year or such shorter period as may be prescribed…”

So you can drive "like for like" for a period no more than 12 months in any one visit. The gov website states like for like so if you can tow in the states you can tow here, if you have a hgv in the states you can drive a hgv here ect ect.

Edited by wolfie on 9th Dec, 2023.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Fantastic advice Wolfie! Cheers

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > OT - renew drivers licence / towing in U.K. with a foreign licence?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: