Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > turbo valves

bigbadslimjim

8 Posts
Member #: 12110

hi there just getting some parts together to start the engine build for the turbo project, ive ordered some metro turbo exhaust valves which i need before i get some valve seats done for the unleaded conversion but i cant find the larger valve caps anywhere. ive got a couple of options 1 is get some standard valve caps machined to for the larger diameter stem of the turbo valve stems or 2 ditch the turbo valves and go for some stainless valves instead, i also have to think about wether i can get valve seats done for the 29.5mm as there doesnt look like theres much space for the inserts or would i have to go for smaller diameter vales so i can get the seats done, any advice would be great as im scratching my head a bit at the moment

Steve220

244 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

Stainless will be better, and used in pretty much every turbo cylinder head these days.

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Go stainless, everyone does. The original turbo valves are poor performers and have the risk of failure that all friction welded valves do.

'Where does the engine go?'

bigbadslimjim

8 Posts
Member #: 12110

Sorted thanks. I’ve cancelled the turbo valves and ordered stainless ones now.

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Seeing as the subject has been raised. are siamese inserts an option?

Own the day

steve1275

849 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

On the subject of inserts, I have run the same head without inserts for 15 years, about 1000 miles a year but very hard miles, at high outputs, and not seen any sinkage. I prefer to leave as much meat as possible in the bridge area to avoid cracking.

Turbo Phil

4620 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Bear in mind if you’re using the stainless valves you need to use bronze guides.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 7th Feb, 2024 steve1275 said:
Go stainless, everyone does. The original turbo valves are poor performers and have the risk of failure that all friction welded valves do.

Have you ever actually had an OE turbo valve fail ?

I've never seen any. The sodium cooled is worth having, or Inconel in any turbo engine.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

steve1275

849 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

No Steve, but I ran a plant making valves and know the processes. Failure is unlikely, but less so on a one piece valve.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > turbo valves
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: