Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > New member introduction - 12g295 head

Bridges

1 Posts
Member #: 12342

Hello all,

I thought I would join the forum in search of a bit of advice. I've got a 12G295 head that i purchased for a normal 998 build, its had a bit of work done and seems in decent condition. After getting it home and measuring it seems like its never been skimmed or only ever had a very light skim so its 69.7ish thick. Are these still in use for turbo 998s or shall I just get it skimmed and not worry about it?

Not sure how active this forum is but I look forward to any replies :)

Edited by Bridges on 8th Feb, 2024.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Hello and welcome.

It would depend on what "normal" N/A you are building? Something with some poke or something more sensible?
Years ago I ran a 998 with a 12g295, 266 cam and twin hs2's which made 65HP but required the head skimming substantially to achieve a 10.5:1 CR.
Personally, with how hard a good 12g295 is to find I would keep the material removed from the face to minimum.
I have read of decks being skimmed to bring the pistons up the bores and crowns machined to "replicate" the Cooper D top pistons protruding from the block to increase compression.
Your alternative is pocketing the block and fitting a 12G940 head which again I ran on a different engine with similar HP output.

The heads serve as a good base for 998 turbos in std form, I recall members achieving 90ish HP from a relatively stock engine.
It would certainly have a better resale value for someone either looking to buy a head for a 998 turbo or for someone building a period correct 998 Cooper or midget.

Shane

DILLIGAF

166 Posts
Member #: 9128
Advanced Member

Don't forget that if your engine is a A+ it'll have flat top pistons.
Unskimmed 295 and flat top pistons means you'll have about 9:1
As above I'd leave it if it doesn't need a skim.

Home > Introduce Yourself > New member introduction - 12g295 head
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: