Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > SPI fuel pump for turbo

robsturbo

14 Posts
Member #: 12343

mid devon

Morning guys

Just a quick question, is a cooper spi fuel pump man enough for a mg metro turbo build ?

Its alreqdy installed in the tank so would be ideal if its man enough, im hoping for around 10 psi of boost

thanks guys *Clapping*

Turbo Phil

4620 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Iirc they only produce about 1bar of fuel pressure. So would be borderline at 10psi, & whether it can supply enough fuel to support the potential power you could make at 10psi is another question.
If it was me I’d get a proven in tank pump that way it’s one less thing to worry about or go wrong.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Phill is correct with the supply pressure.
I mistakingly ran an SPI one for a couple of years, it supported 150HP at 14 psi (which is more than folk law would have you believe). Asking anything more of it resulted in melted pistons which inevitably happened (more than once).
Don't cheap out on a fuel pump, its false economy.

Shane

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

If you can get it to fit the core fuel pump for a Nissan Micra is the same unit used in The twin turbo Subaru GTb spec cars and are £35 new.

Own the day

robsturbo

14 Posts
Member #: 12343

mid devon

Thanks guys, im off to the dyno on the 3rd of april so i dont want any issues there if i can help it..

Ive got a brand new carb fitted with green spring, the engine is a med race engine with forged pistons bored to a 1293cc center strap crank shaft, 266 cam shaft and adjustable boost from in car..
I was aiming for 10 psi being a sensible choice for power and still be reliable car to use...

What fuel pump shall i go for ? ive heard mpi fuel pumps fit with a little modding inside the tank...

Can i run a external fuel pump bolted to the boot floor ? would it need the old pump removed from the tank to suck the fuel up ?

Not sure whats the best way to go about it all really

thanks guys

Edited by robsturbo on 9th Mar, 2024.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

An MPI will be fine for what your running and give leeway for the inevitable want of more power down the line.
Fitting one isn't tricky.

Shane

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

the original pump can be found in most rover fuel injected cars two were fitted to the SD1. In the Metro they had there own cradle that was rubber mounted to the boot floor. I have used the pump from a ford XR3i and that worked fine. its flow that your after and the two mentioned above will give that in buckets. you could try the Pierburg as fitted to the Montego, that is good for 9psi of pressure.

Own the day

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > SPI fuel pump for turbo
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: