Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Code Discussions > Why do we truly need to advance the injection ???

curta_crankn_daddy

20 Posts
Member #: 799

Canada, eh?

Now if I could figure out how to post pictures here, you'd see this:

What I said above is based on first hand experience, not just sitting on the couch with my mind wandering. Have a look at the figure: the "window opens" and "window closes" lines (plotted against the LH axis) are from the last set of experiments I did with the dyno donkey being fed by 500 cc injectors. These lines were established by, as I said, holding the engine at constant RPM and load (very light in this case) while advancing or retarding until the fuel pulse fell out of the window of opportunity. This plot, then, represents one line in the advance map.

The other lines, plotted against the RH axis, are the mechanics of what's going on: the actual valve open time and the time needed to get all the fuel in within 100 crank degrees.

What does this show? Even if the on-paper pulse initiation angle is D from above (30 ATDC - black line on my graph here), the engine can take that pulse up to 80 BTDC at idle (advanced, eh?) and in order to get the full shot of ~4 ms of fuel in, you have to excite the injectors 160 BTDC (an additional 80 advance, eh?)

This is no different from the mechanics of firing a spark plug: as engine speed increases, the spark has to be initiated earlier because burn rate is fixed. We have to excite the injectors earlier because travel time is (relatively) fixed. If burn rate, or travel time were infinite, we wouldn't need to advance timing at all. In an engine we want the peak cylinder pressure to be ~17 ATDC and yet we light the plugs anywhere from 10-50 BTDC.

Now, for the same reasons we don't have a retard curve in a distributor (don't even TRY to get me started on this subject!!) we won't need to have retard in the map table. Set the reference position for injection at TDC and advance from there.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 4th Jan, 2006.

www.starchak.ca and www.TDCperformance.ca

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 04/01/2006 19:37:56 mrbell said:

10.5 * (77hp * 0.45)/(2 * 440cc/min) = 0.41

We know from numerous RR printouts in the mags, and 'stories' from tuners, that 90hp seems to be the absolute, top-end, 100% max hp limit on the MPi's - no matter what is done to them with heads, cams, compression, whatever...

Plugging a 90hp value into the above, we're sat only at 0.47...

However - assume 90hp, and 0.5 BSFC and you're up at 0.54... That's close enough for me.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 4th Jan, 2006.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

curta_crankn_daddy

20 Posts

Canada, eh?

Now if I could figure out how to post pictures here, you'd see this:

http://www.telusplanet.net/~chichm/sales/window.jpg

What I said above is based on first hand experience, not just sitting on the couch with my mind wandering. Have a look at the figure: the "window opens" and "window closes" lines (plotted against the LH axis) are from the last set of experiments I did with the dyno donkey being fed by 500 cc injectors. These lines were established by, as I said, holding the engine at constant RPM and load (very light in this case) while advancing or retarding until the fuel pulse fell out of the window of opportunity. This plot, then, represents one line in the advance map.

The other lines, plotted against the RH axis, are the mechanics of what's going on: the actual valve open time and the time needed to get all the fuel in within 100 crank degrees.

What does this show? Even if the on-paper pulse initiation angle is D from above (30 ATDC - black line on my graph here), the engine can take that pulse up to 80 BTDC at idle (advanced, eh?) and in order to get the full shot of ~4 ms of fuel in, you have to excite the injectors 160 BTDC (an additional 80 advance, eh?)

This is no different from the mechanics of firing a spark plug: as engine speed increases, the spark has to be initiated earlier because burn rate is fixed. We have to excite the injectors earlier because travel time is (relatively) fixed. If burn rate, or travel time were infinite, we wouldn't need to advance timing at all. In an engine we want the peak cylinder pressure to be ~17 ATDC and yet we light the plugs anywhere from 10-50 BTDC.

Now, for the same reasons we don't have a retard curve in a distributor (don't even TRY to get me started on this subject!!) we won't need to have retard in the map table. Set the reference position for injection at TDC and advance from there.

mrbell

47 Posts
Member #: 830

SLC, UT

On 04/01/2006 20:14:47 TurboDave said:

On 04/01/2006 19:37:56 mrbell said:

10.5 * (77hp * 0.45)/(2 * 440cc/min) = 0.41

We know from numerous RR printouts in the mags, and 'stories' from tuners, that 90hp seems to be the absolute, top-end, 100% max hp limit on the MPi's - no matter what is done to them with heads, cams, compression, whatever...

Plugging a 90hp value into the above, we're sat only at 0.47...

However - assume 90hp, and 0.5 BSFC and you're up at 0.54... That's close enough for me.

Ah... alright...
I just want to make sure we've actually got as large of a window as we think we do. If it's smaller, that could be the problem we're seeing.

-Tyler
DO NOT TOUCH MY HORNS OF DOOM!

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Marcel,

Interesting graph! I remember seeing it before but I didn't remember the advance numbers being that big.

So from now on, I'll just say that we need to increase or decrease advance. I won't talk about retard anymore (unless I'm talking about myself :) )

Anyways, do you have any suggestion on how you could automatically detect that you ran out of injection window time instead of having a wrong advance?

http://www.jbperf.com/

curta_crankn_daddy

20 Posts

Canada, eh?

On 04/01/2006 20:34:17 jbelanger said:

Anyways, do you have any suggestion on how you could automatically detect that you ran out of injection window time instead of having a wrong advance?

Looks like you want to retrace all my research steps, eh? Well, here's a couple of things you can chew on (hoping my image posting actually works!, stole some html code...):

This shows that there's and upper ceiling to the fuel map. When you do the code there should be a warning set for when the pulse width is longer than the opportunity. BTW, the map line here is from Marc whazzizname in Netherlands who kept insisting that he had a DTA controlled EFI. This map showed that it couldn't possibly be running port injection and in fact it is a wet manifold system.

This is something I did to give the perspective of what's happening in the port. It's the sum total of valve lift. If you add the #1 exhaust valve you can see that the pressure pulses in the port are pretty weird, which is what gives the A and B series their unique exhaust note and makes Helmholtz tuning impossible.

Now Dave is going to have another sleepless night!

Edited by curta_crankn_daddy on 5th Jan, 2006.

Home > MS Code Discussions > Why do we truly need to advance the injection ???
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: