Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > How To > Make a tool for efficiently removing the gearbox mainshaft bearings!

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Seen as all TD's pics have gone, I've had a go at interpreting his instructions.

Started with a Pinion nut (more threads to engage), a short length of CDS tubing and some round stock. Wobbled the start of the round stock down in the lathe and then drilled & tapped it for my slide hammer.

Then hot glued it together.

Was having trouble with the wire feed. So the welding is crap, but it should do the job.

Next on the list is the spacer for the 3rd motion shaft. I've got a nice piece of round ALU stock to wobble into shape. Vegard - how thick did you make yours?

Edited by apbellamy on 23rd Oct, 2010.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Finally got round to finishing the spacer of for the double roller.

Not the best machining, but function over form and all that...

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Asphalt

509 Posts
Member #: 1027
Post Whore

Germini, black forrest

On 1st Feb, 2011 apbellamy said:
Finally got round to finishing the spacer of for the double roller.

A wheel bearing's outer race makes a neat cheapo-tool for that job :) Fits & centers perfectely into the 1st gear... Your is a lot nicer, admittedly. 8-)

[X] nail here for new monitor

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

i didnt use anything, and dont remember having any trouble :S

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

apbellamy

16540 Posts

On 1st Feb, 2011 Brett said:

That would worry me *wink*

I think the point of this is to bring it out smoothly and squarely so you don't damage the bearing or casing.

*hehe!*

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

On 1st Feb, 2011 Brett said:

I was thinking the same thing!

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

i mean like special tools, hammer and a drift is all i used my slide hammer consisted of a 13lb hammer and some 300kg para cord, adapt and over come *wink*

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Half the fun is making the tools...

Edited by apbellamy on 3rd Feb, 2011.

*hehe!*

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

I always just used a hammer and chisel lol Or maybe a blunt screwdriver.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

apbellamy

16540 Posts

On 2nd Feb, 2011 stevieturbo said:

How many gearbox/gear set failures did you have? I'm sure you've mentioned several in the past...

*hehe!*

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 3rd Feb, 2011 apbellamy said:
On 2nd Feb, 2011 stevieturbo said:

How many gearbox/gear set failures did you have? I'm sure you've mentioned several in the past...

How does tapping a bearing in/out have any impact on torque stripping gears and breaking casings ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

apbellamy

16540 Posts

*wink*

*hehe!*

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

*wink*

Ah, no answer then.

Thought so.

maybe you're trying to imply that a gentle tap with a hammer twisted the gearbox casing so it could not longer withstand anything ?

But I'd like to hear an explanation of how the method used to install a bearing, causing no damage to bearing or housing can lead to stripping teeth of the input gear and lay gear
Stripping teeth of a straight cut 2nd gear and lay gear
And destroying a 4 pin diff due to too much torque.

Edited by stevieturbo on 3rd Feb, 2011.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

apbellamy

16540 Posts

I was referring more to you style of working, but only in jest. No need to have a cow. :-p

*hehe!*

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

I was referring more to you style of working, but only in jest. No need to have a cow. :-p

I dont use a chisel as much now.

I find a 1/4" drive extension better :)

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Nice edit there....

I'm firmly of the opinion that torque isn't the only thing that breaks gearboxes. Poor condition bearings and sloppy assembly are also a factor (IMO and not a digg at Stevie). So, if I can get the box apart and back together as gently as possible, then that's a positive for me.

*hehe!*

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 4th Feb, 2011 apbellamy said:
Nice edit there....

I'm firmly of the opinion that torque isn't the only thing that breaks gearboxes. Poor condition bearings and sloppy assembly are also a factor (IMO and not a digg at Stevie). So, if I can get the box apart and back together as gently as possible, then that's a positive for me.

Mini gearboxes are incredibly simple. It would be hard to go wrong.

I dont think it is physically possible to put it together such that any gears arent meshing properly ?

So unless one of the shafts breaks or needle rollers collapse. Torque is the biggest killer.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

nomininolife

7 Posts
Member #: 2851

Sheffield. U.K

Bringing up an old thread, but do you have the dimensions for the tool to dislodge the double roller bearing?

apbellamy

16540 Posts

The o.d. is slightly less than the double roller and the i.d. is 1"

*hehe!*

nomininolife

7 Posts

Sheffield. U.K

Brilliant thank you, do you know the thickness of the tool?

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Around 20mm. Measure the thickness of the bearing from the face to the metal ring, needs to be a little larger than that.

*hehe!*

nomininolife

7 Posts

Sheffield. U.K

Brilliant, thanks for the help

Home > How To > Make a tool for efficiently removing the gearbox mainshaft bearings!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: