Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > clutch thoughts

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 8th of Mar, 2007 at 09:10am robert said:
oi no congrats :?? *oh well* *wink*

Sorry, been working away.

CONGRATULATIONS.

Glad to hear that your vital organs are still in one piece and not pierced by shrapnel from an exploding clutch!

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

now working fine on 150 bhp . *happy*

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

glad to hear it, and hope you dont mind but heres my effort not attached the bit the friction surface rubs against yet as i need to get some good quality small high tensile bolts, but the springs and retaining ring are installed :)

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

not at all evo ,more power to your elbow !!,find somewhere to balance it too cos mine was well out !
good luck
regards robert

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

fab

1497 Posts
Member #: 100
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

On 21st of Jul, 2006 at 10:51am robert said:
if we use this formula from peters link .
(od+id)/4=average radius of the disc..
and torque capacity=no of friction surfaces*radius in feet*coeff of friction*pressure.
then imeasure my old turbo plate at 181mm od132.38 id...
so .257ft is our ''r''
so hypotheticaly just as a test

2*.257*.25*1000=128.5lb/ft

sooo if we increase pp to 1500 lbs

lets see if that gives us a 50 percent increase in line with the pp increase

2*.257*.25*1500=192.75lb/ft
hmm seems so lets try 2000

2*.257*.25*2000=257lb/ft

ok so thats clear ,
then lets try a 1500lb effect pp with the 190mm plate

assuming a width similar to the 180 plate gives 190+140
so .270 ft

so 2*.270*.25*1500= 202.5 lb/ft

hmmmmm how much torque is a 200 bhp min putting out ,any graphs anyone ?

if we replace the 0.25 organic plate with a 0.4 one in this formulae,
the 128.5 lb/ft become 200+??
late valeo friction plates ,G5 ones ( f491), are 0.4µ and availables for mini clutchs, what's your though?

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

sounds good fab ... how do you know the .4 spec ?

fab

1497 Posts
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

from valeo:

Valeo Transmissions
G5 Technology
Clutch Facings
(F410, F510, F810, F820 and F491
Materials)
Valeo’s dedication to constant innovation and continuous improvement enables it to
consolidate and enhance its leading position in the clutch facing market. Valeo has developed
a complete range of lead-free products for both cars and trucks.
The G5 range of clutch facings comply with the July 2003 European regulation regarding the elimination
of lead for better recycling at the end of product life.
These facings are manufactured with a water-based process which eliminates the need to use organic
solvents such as trichloroethylene and toluene.
These products and process improvements are concrete applications of Valeo’s environmental protection policy.
G5 technology is, indeed, not only environmentally friendly but also provides improved facing characteristics.
• Key Benefits
- Respect for the environment:
• Lead-free technology in line with July 2003 European regulation.
• Better recyclability.
• Reduction in pollutants: water-based product, no organic solvents.
- Performance:
• High friction levels (µ:0.40 to 0.45).
• Thermal stability (-40°C to 400°C).
• Durability: low wear.
• Low maintenance.
• Mechanical burst strength up to 13,000 rpm (diameter: 200 mm).
- Driver / passenger comfort:
• Shifting comfort.
• Smoothing of engine vibrations.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Well, that isn't a clutch I'd like to use...

I have never heard of anything over 0.28 personally - and that is a metallic multi-plate on a 'big rig'...

Of course - proof is in the pudding.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

fab

1497 Posts
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

Dave,
look at this:
http://www.mynesperformance.com/shop/carbonetic.htm
the section about valeo facing (copper carbon) the pic on the right clearly show f810?
can you know more about this?

RogerM

2514 Posts
Member #: 1217
I like nice quiet girly Minis

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Interesting ......

I understand where Dave is coming from with the high friction value .... might prove "interesting" to live with but then again for the levels of power we are talking about to require this sort of clutch then we need to consider what the car is likely to be used for.

I for one would not want to run a 200BHP+ Mini as a daily driver (straight cut gearbox would drive me insane before I made it to the motorway ... let alone the rest of the drive to work down it!!). Also a car like that is most likely to be a stripped out track car with crippling seating and no sound proofing at all. That, to my mind, becomes a trailer to the track, trailered home toy. Certainly how I will be using mine .... might not even bother making it road legal at all!!!

I could live with a silly clutch in a silly car!!!

At this time there is no clutch that allows the true potential of a turbo'd A series to be used and anything that takes us a step closer needs consideration

So how has a car capable of testing one of these and where do we get the clutch from????

Every day is a school day ...........

How fast and how expensive ...... the same question...

On 27th of Sep, 2007 at 12:45pm Jimster said:

why do you you think I got a girlfriend with small hands?

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 16th of Aug, 2007 at 09:51am RogerM said:

At this time there is no clutch that allows the true potential of a turbo'd A series to be used

I wouldn't go that far, a double grey and paddle most definately does the job, however the effect on the thrust washers is the problem.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

fastcarl

6962 Posts
Member #: 507
Fastest A Series Mini in the World

leeds/wakefield.

On 16th of Aug, 2007 at 04:23pm Tom Fenton said:

At this time there is no clutch that allows the true potential of a turbo'd A series to be used

I wouldn't go that far, a double grey and paddle most definately does the job, however the effect on the thrust washers is the problem.

who is using a double gray then Tom,

carl

WWW.FORCE-RACING.CO.UK PLEASE CLICK HERE

mikemph

450 Posts
Member #: 449

Oxford

I will be, with a 5 finger paddle clutch

fastcarl

6962 Posts
Member #: 507
Fastest A Series Mini in the World

leeds/wakefield.

On 16th of Aug, 2007 at 05:04pm mikemph said:
I will be, with a 5 finger paddle clutch

you dont meen one of those fooking monstrosities sold by all and sundrie that weigh a ton, [ not litterally] and are about 10mm thick, Alcon,

yuck and yuck again,
but an AP paddle you tight sod,lol..

carl

WWW.FORCE-RACING.CO.UK PLEASE CLICK HERE

mikemph

450 Posts
Member #: 449

Oxford

lol yeah thats the one. The pads are way to big. They over hang the clutch plate surfaces but I have turned these down in the lathe.

Morspeed strikes again lol, Simon sent it to me said they were better. I will give it a try and see.

I sure minispares rate them, but they would as they sell them!! lol

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

mine hasnt slipped yet rog ,time will tell if it can make the grade at higher boost.

RogerM

2514 Posts

Robert, still looking forward to having a close look over your car .... if I get 5 mins!!! Please don't take offense but I don't think your power level would be stressing a grey / organic comb at all. What we need is something that will hold the torque off a 250bhp motor with ease yet your gran could drive .... maybe a dream but hey ....

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

nope no offence taken ,
if you run my combo through the calcs it may be ok up to 210 lbs ft ,
and a twin spring using a couple of turbo springs good for the higher nos .

i estimate around 1800 to 2000 lbs with a turbo spring one .and 1600 with mine ,put this thriugh that formula .. 270 lb ft with a 190mm plate ,

but then again ,the double grey is i think 1250lbs ,according to the ap site , s0 mine with 1600 ish may be ok right up to and past matts level .
all i can say for sure is its ok at 150 bhp lbs ft ,and the tickover isnt affected by the clutch going iN.

RogerM

2514 Posts

Robert, as I've said before I'd really like to try your set up and I don't doubt your calcs for 1 minute but for me the proof is always in the pudding (mmmm . chocolate cake) so I'd like to see one bolted up to a monster motor.

The only other consideration is the mass of the unit.

Whilst your set-up might well hold and the majority of people aren't going to notice the mass on a road car they might on a track car.

As I say mate, not knocking you at all, just trying to play devils advocate and there is nothing wrong with inspiring health debate *wink*

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 17th of Aug, 2007 at 09:31am RogerM said:
Robert, as I've said before I'd really like to try your set up and I don't doubt your calcs for 1 minute but for me the proof is always in the pudding (mmmm . chocolate cake) so I'd like to see one bolted up to a monster motor.

The only other consideration is the mass of the unit.

Whilst your set-up might well hold and the majority of people aren't going to notice the mass on a road car they might on a track car.

As I say mate, not knocking you at all, just trying to play devils advocate and there is nothing wrong with inspiring health debate *wink*

damn right rog i quite agree,as you can read in this thread,im very much of the,, theory is all well and good but how well does it work in practise ,id have a higher power now but was trying to keep it on the rd box wize ...

with ref to the mass , i weighed a non verto ultra light ,and it totalled 16 lbs
mine is 21 lbs ,stock verto 29 ,stock non verto 32 i think .
there is now available a u light verto steel fly ,but i like the mass for heat soak and inertia ,up to a point...oh and mines cheaper !*smiley*

Hedgemonkey

591 Posts
Member #: 360
Stu from Corwall aka Mr Jazz Piano, Love_Machine, kneegrow

On 16th of Aug, 2007 at 04:23pm Tom Fenton said:

How's this for a solution? Make sure you have a suitable countersink at the pulley end of the crank. Rig up clutch cyl #2, rig a spike up and weld it to a small taper bearing, press clutch, equal pressure applied to each end of the crank= zero thrust wear. Am I good or what?

Bugger off, I'm getting there.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

You're good. Yes. I have to say - this is one option i hadn't thought of - and I bet no-one else did.

:)

So, what is on lately Stu? Is it supercharger stuff? I keep seeling mazda sc's on Ebay over here... *wink*

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Brocky

807 Posts
Member #: 224
Post Whore

Katy TEXAS

What Dave said, nice idea Stu, *smiley*

My only thought would be if the crank tcan take the compressive loadings ?

BTW - I took my buddy VTEC Pete out for a spin this weekend, and even though I am running her in, he gave it a name, the "Brocket"...cause I'm a brocket maaannn, nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah....

Build thread - http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=7483

Katy Mini Owners Club Thread - http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=505552

Let's make sure you embarrass at least one VTEC MINI today !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/17557298589...096464253807802

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

bump, cheers robert for the inspiration, drover my mini with the "RTS" fitted and its working as planned, i have no idea on max torque capacity as yet as my wideband shat itself and is reporting a heater open circuit failure :(

pedal in my setup is HEAVY but it was already heavy to begin with, not twice as heavy but notably heavier, however i didnt take much care over shimming the clutch cover off the flywheel, i jstu shimmed it by just less than the width of the extra spring! so im sure this could be optimised somewhat.

at any rate, it works.

thankyou :)

Edited by evolotion on 25th Sep, 2007.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

blimey !!! i hadnt seen this evo ,your welcome and well done really pleased it worked for you . *smiley*

Home > Technical Chat > clutch thoughts
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: