Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > gt17...

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 26th of Feb, 2007 at 08:08pm robert said:
3.4mm and 4.3 mm are the two different tip heights for the 55 trim 56mm wheel

4.1 and 3mm are the tip heights for the 55 trim 52mm gt17 wheel ,

i think it may be that these dimensions are going to affect the characteristics of the maps ,
i know that the wheel in mine is the 4.1mm but unless we know the tip hieght for the 56 mm wheel map can they really be compared like that axel , it may be the map your looking at is the 3.4mm ..what do you think ?
if you look back at the interpolation that fab did a few pages back , i think it ties in with your calcs though .
i think that range wise its going to be good whatever , its just above 20 psi where the question of whether its a high boost design comes into it , i found the fact that its used on the 18psi and up diesel vans as stock encouraging the idea that it may work well over 20 psi ,the proof will be in the trying !
regards robert.

I'm guessing but I doubt that the tip height will change significantly.

I used to work for a large pump manufacturer. If we wanted a bespoke pump for a specific job, say a large power station cooling water pump, we would take the nearest, best pump that we had previously made and scale it to meet the duty. We used the rules I used above.

I know that water and air are totally different, but the same rules apply. The only thing that may change is the air may compress through the impeller, but it should only compress as it slows down in the volute.

What I'm getting at is that Garrett would take the same approach. If they had a good 55 trim design at 56mm dia, they would not change it significantly for 52mm dia. I think that it is unliley that the tip height on the 56mm wheel will be smaller.

The only reason to reduce the tip height would be to reduce the flow, but they could do that more efficiently with a higher trim.

EDIT:
What I am trying to say is that if the 2056 56mm map was 3.5mm tips, then the 1752 at 4.1mm tip would flow considerably more than the 2056. However, that is unlikley as Saab used it on the LPT up to 185hp and used a Mitsui TD04 for the 235hp model.

Edited by Paul S on 26th Feb, 2007.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Found this showing the performance of the 2056 at higher speeds.

If my theory is correct, then we do have an efficient 30 psi turbo suitable for 1275s.

Edited by Paul S on 27th Feb, 2007.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

yes thats the map a few pages ago with the next one down overlapping it ,and then a guess overlaid , it does look good ,hence this thread ! incidentally that looks viable to 37 psi boost !!6:1 cr and no wastegate anyone ? theres another map that was encouraging ill see if i can find it ,its seems ages ago this was researched .
back in a mo .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

heres an intersting one that pete put up a few pages back , its a 55 trim 56 wheel ,maybe this is the smaller tip height ,this would be encouraging .

http://f10.putfile.com/main/7/20606315373.jpg

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th of Feb, 2007 at 11:09am robert said:

heres an intersting one that pete put up a few pages back , its a 55 trim 56 wheel ,maybe this is the smaller tip height ,this would be encouraging .

That's a generic map out of the old Garrett catalogue.

These later maps I've posted seem to be a bit more specific and detailed.

Anyhow, all credit to you robert for identifying the potential.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

That does look good,

I think i'll get my shagged saab gt17 rebuilt!!

Would a thread for sutiable turbo maps be a good idea?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 27th of Feb, 2007 at 11:21am Axel said:

On 27th of Feb, 2007 at 11:09am robert said:

That's a generic map out of the old Garrett catalogue.

These later maps I've posted seem to be a bit more specific and detailed.

Anyhow, all credit to you robert for identifying the potential.

thanks axel ,

yes its a garret catalog one ,but prob as accurate,if less detailed..
my point was that ,
if as we know there are two 55 trim 56mm wheels ,
and the only difference we know of is that the tip height is either 3.4 or 4.3 mm ,
then, now we have two different maps ,both calling themselves a 55 trim , then we could safely say (perhaps) ,one of the maps is a 4.3 ,and one of them is a 3.4 ,..
so then if we say hmmm the 4.3mm tip is the higher flowing map ,and we know the gt17 has the high flow wider blade tip .that will then support which map to compare the 17 to . which would be the map that flows most air out of the 2 gt2056 maps .

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

something i dont understand axel

,if the proportions of the 55 trim 52 mm wheel are the same in relation to each other ,by which i mean inducer diameter exducer diameter tip height and wheel design ,,and a/r is the same,, as the 56mm wheel
then why should the pressure ratio be lower with the 55 trim 52mm wheel compared with the 56 mm 55 trim ?
i d have expected the flow to be less and the map to be the same height ?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The pressure generated by the compressor is proportional to the tip velocity of the wheel. Hence for a smaller wheel, you get a lower pressure.

The wheel transfers kinetic energy to the air in the form of velocity. The volute casing then converts that kinetic energy to potential energy by gradually slowing it down.

So if you scale a wheel down, the pressure ratio goes down by the scale ratio.

The flow varies by the square of the scale ratio, because it is a function of the exducer area i.e. tip height times circumference.

This all assumes that the speeds stay constant. If you are looking at large scale ratios, then the speeds will change and additional rules will apply.

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

so if the speed scales UP then it could attain parity with the 56.?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 28th of Feb, 2007 at 05:51pm robert said:
so if the speed scales UP then it could attain parity with the 56.?

Yep, but I guess there are limits to the speed.

fab

1497 Posts
Member #: 100
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

though you would like to know that old catalog had some errors, showing some 52mm maps in place of 56 one ...
and doesn't your 52mm wheel have a 0.51a/r?
then regarding tip heigh, it's also in relation with hsg a/r so a 56 mm wheel with 55 trim and 0.53a/r cannot have an other tip heigh, then the same trim with another tip heigh can't have the same hsg a/r,
regarding wheel efficiency guess:
the method of comparing a slightly larger wheel or estimate from same diam wheel between lower and larger trim gives good approximation when comp hsg a/r is same.
last point : each time you need to increase wheel speed you need more exhaust to speed it , and this with less and less efficiency , instead it's better to go with a larger wheel or a wheel with a larger trim if it doesn't met surge line
fab

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

yes fab i spotted that as well , i particularly like the ones where the trim on the graph is 72 ,and on the spec sheet is 60 !! lol

my a/r is .53 ,id disagree on the a/r being tip height related we are talking about the tip height at the widest part of the wheel parallel to the shaft , i cant see a reason why a 3mm tip couldn't have the same a/r housing as a 4mm tip ?
something that comes into the efficiency question is , if and i dont say its true ,the efficiency of the turbine is at a point where it is getter less , if this coencides with a part of the compressor map where its going from say 70 %eff to 78% then the work the turbine needs to do gets effectively less so the the tip can be less per pound of boost so although the turbine may hane become less efficient the turbo as a whole may be more so ..!all depends really ! *smiley*
regards robert

fab

1497 Posts
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

yes and these are three or four like this , mainly 2056/2052 60 trim and 2259 ..
when you look at tip height, it's in relation with the hole diameter in the hsg, a wider hole meaning a larger a/r, need a larger talon to make the transition from wheel to hsg.
the larger tip give a wider map,
the smaller tip give an higher map
about efficiency, turbine doesn't see comp eff, it does see pressure and speed,then the compressor transform it in flow or heat

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 1st of Mar, 2007 at 04:07am fab said:

when you look at tip height, it's in relation with the hole diameter in the hsg, a wider hole meaning a larger a/r, need a larger talon to make the transition from wheel to hsg.

ok that seems fair , but then fab , if it were that the radius of the scroll was changed along with the hole size ,,,then the a/r could remain the same ,whatever the tip height ?

the larger tip give a wider map,
the smaller tip give an higher map

oh dear ,,, if that is definitely true ,then this 55 trim gt17 may not be the high pressure turbo we hope or at all similar to the 55 trim 56mm wheel we were comparing it to!

about efficiency, turbine doesn't see comp eff, it does see pressure and speed,then the compressor transform it in flow or
heat

yes again i would agree with you there my point was that the turbine needs a certain amount of torque place upon it by the incoming gases ,and this amount of torque needed to achieve a required boost ,is relative to the turbine eff ,and also the comp eff. par example ,if the comp was 100% eff(fantasy) then the turbine would have to do less work to achieve a set boost ,so although its eff may have dropped ,the total package may have gained . bit like a see saw .

great to theorize about this stuff fab , but as you know ,in the real world we just have to strap it on there and wind it up !!
*laughing**smiley*

fab

1497 Posts
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

robert , rereading I'm curious that your wheel is in a 0.53a/r, does it have straight blades or curved ones?
about theorize and real word I completely agree,
but when turbo is on , its difficult to backup it with another wheel etc need, that's a lot of time consuming,
then I guess all that theory have helped in picking the right turbo..
if you're interested in wheel design and signification,I found this on published maps and datas from mitsu td04 wheel g and T comp wheels, all I found was on the net
regards
fab

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

i think i put a picture down the inlet of the turbo a few pages back , they seem to be a fair bit more curved than the t series for sure
regards robert

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Pictures of the GT1752:

Compresor wheel

On the subject of turbo speeds, the Gt1752 will require twice as much power from the turbine to drive it at 190,000 than at 150,000. Hence it will need a decent turbine to do that.

The pictures below show that the Gt1752 turbine is hardly bigger than my T2. The turbine wheel is smaller at the inlet, larger at the outlet and has less blades. Also more of a Francis turbine design than a pelton wheel.

Gt1752 on left, T2 on right

Turbine Housing, Gt1752 on left, T2 on right

Interestingly, it is very likley that this will fit on the Mirage manifold and without bulkhead mods.

However, I'm not sure now that this is a 30 psi boost turbo for a 1275.

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

tested the engine at amd the other day ,running 1700lb on the inertia setting on the sun ram 12 rr( which does affect the power reading ,lower weight the higher the power ,it goes down to 550 pounds )
it recorded 144 bhp and 137 lb/ft , corrected to 142 bhp and 133 lb /ft ,this was with 13.5 :1 air fuel ratio.. so lean ,and no time to really optimise timing .pk power was at 6600 approx ,if anybody is interested i can stick up the graphs etc.
regards robert

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

oops forgot to say thats on 9.5 psi boost ,,it had 122 on 5.5 psi .

Nic

9313 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Good Work!!

What else had changed since your last bhp figure?

Time for a diet isnt it?

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

That's impressive on less than 10psi.

I'd love to see the graph.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 15th of Apr, 2007 at 03:05pm Nic said:
Good Work!!

What else had changed since your last bhp figure?

Time for a diet isnt it?

thanks nic , um no changes to the engine other than 4 psi more boost and the new clutch ,its just getting new adjustable on the caR BOTtOM ARMS ,TEiBARS ,AND THE VENTEd DISCS AND 4 POTS ,oops then itll be diet time,andyou know what that means ...getin carbony wiv it !!lol*happy*

Edited by robert on 15th Apr, 2007.

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 15th of Apr, 2007 at 07:14pm wil_h said:
That's impressive on less than 10psi.

I'd love to see the graph.

thanks will
here you go
i feel if i could have made it run at 12 to 1 afr ,and a bit more timing adjustment i could have hit 150 , also the v springs were starting to bounce at 6600 and it wasnt quite at peak power .

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
Nice wide spread of torque from low down too. 8)
Cheers,
Gavin :)

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

Home > Technical Chat > gt17...
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: