Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > EFI Test Engine UPDATE 12/01/08

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

ive not looked very deeply into the whole 2 and 3 sharing the same port stuff ,other than the obvious robbing theories ,but i wondered if it may be usefull for you to know about the system where one puts a thermocouple ring under the spark plug of each cylinder ,and from the temp diff deduce cylinder conditions distribution etc ,with a shared port this seems the only way to do it cheaply ,and may give an insight into the reality of ,is the second firing cylinder being robbed of fuel and should the timing be diff etc .
just a thought , i dont know how much a iron head would affect the temp of the seat of the plug irrespective of cyl temp ,and so mask the data , i suppose one could move a single ring from plug to plug and see if there was a diff to save money on buying 4 .
regards robert.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

johnK

1425 Posts
Member #: 690
Post Whore

Norfolk

Run gas temp probes in the manifold branches as close to the head as possible. This proven method is widely used by oems when setting new engines up on dyno's. As mentioned earlier with the cam and carb combination I was running the gas temps out of 2+3 were a long way off what 1 + 4 were running, adding spark advance to 2+3 to warm them up did clean the emmisions up and increase torque. At the end of the day you will get fast resolution readings from the gas temps and be able to tune in the advance quickly, whereas spark plug seat temps will not be instant and would probably be affected by soak etc, not good for calibration of ign timing.

I have 3 probes on the shelf not doing anything if you want to "borrow" them?

John

If Carling made Mini engines
it would probably be like this one!

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

i think the point john was to try to get over the prob of a probe in the centre port reading 2 and 3 and not letting one know if those 2 cyl were different .. i agree on the heat soak prob , reading the turbine housing temp on a v8 i found a 3 to 4 sec delay in temp increase ,but on a steady state load on a good eddy current dyno that should be ok .i was more concerned with the whole head getting to a temp where the diff between 2 cyls would just not show much ,only thing to do is give it a try ,specially since peter has done his usual research memory machine brain wopr impression ( computer from war games) *smiley*

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

johnK

1425 Posts
Member #: 690
Post Whore

Norfolk

You have completely lost me on the last two posts, am I showing my age or lack of age?! - but you're more than welcome to use the temp probes I have if of use.

John

If Carling made Mini engines
it would probably be like this one!

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

what about bonking your sisters pet lobster ?

Neil8p

928 Posts
Member #: 65
Post Whore

South Yorkshire

I have a megasquirt kit for my 8 port, so for me this is a really interesting thread (apart from the bit about lobsters and incest :) )

I have so much to learn :cool:

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

after the lobster pete i really think you should draw the line at ally bananas , a nasty skin condition and itching can be the only out come ...

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 10/08/2006 13:36:05 mini1071s said:

Dave, where do you get your banannas?

Walmart? Along with all my Groceries *oh well*

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

oh - right!

I get them from breakers yards...

Edited by TurboDave16V on 10th Aug, 2006.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 10/08/2006 13:54:44 mini1071s said:

On 10/08/2006 13:52:13 robert said:

after the lobster pete i really think you should draw the line at ally bananas , a nasty skin condition and itching can be the only out come ...

Is that what you do in your leisure time?! Sound experienced!

Back on topic, have you tried the cyl temp thermocouples on other engines? Are ally heads any better for testing?

ah no not experienced ,just went into the local parts shop to buy autosl ,and they were sold out ,,turns out one of the side effects of ally banana abuse is an intense craving for autosol to relieve the itching ,suprised me too!
i havent tried putting my ring on a spark plug ,just used it on the housing ..*surprised*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Latest News,

Engine is in car and running.

Started straight away after getting some oil pressure.

Only problem is too much oil pressure. Was 90 psi at idle with a new spring! Put the old spring in and it only dropped to 80psi.

I wasn't worried about it but just as I put the car back in the barn, it developed a massive oil leak from the clutch case - shit.

I'm hoping its blowing along the primary gear and dropping the pressure more will stop it, otherwise it's a backbreaking job of changing the crank seal.

We put the Cooper inerior in this afternoon, looks great.

That's my chief mechanic, the real "Axel" at work.

It's took longer than expected because the car needed more welding than I thought. In the end it needed a new boot floor, rear valance, inner sills and door steps plus patches on the front inner wings. Solid as a rock now.

The other big problem is the electrics. Some of it works some of the time. No indicators, but the hazards work. No rear lights or brake lights but the reversing lights did work, now they dont! No dash lights but the gauges work. Tacho reads about double the actual revs.

It was standing for a year or so before I got it without the fuse box cover - so I'm starting with a new fuse box and see how we go from there.

Edited by Paul S on 28th Aug, 2006.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
You'll have a MPi rev counter in there then *wink*
Unless it's something to do with your other wonky wiring defects!
Cheers,
Gavin :)

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Bat,

Thanks for that clue to the rev-counter misbehaving.

On the 3 clock panel I got out of my lads 30, the rev-counter case was damaged so I bought another off ebay.

I'll rip the innards out of the old one.

Goodness knows whats going on with the electrics. I've just ordered a decent multimeter so I can attack it at the weekend.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
I think you maybe able connect the rev counter straight to one of the coil negatives on your coil pack *wink*
Cheers,
Gavin :)

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Too late, I've changed it already.

I'm not using the EDIS yet. At least I've got a solution if the tacho reads half the engine speed once the MS is fitted. LOL.

Spent last Saturday sorting the electrics. The new fuse box sorted most problems. There were also a few loose connections plus a rotten indicator base.

If it wasn't for the massive oil leak from the transfer case we would be going for an MOT tomorrow.

Edited by Paul S on 6th Sep, 2006.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Fitted the MSII this weekend.

Just using ignition with EDIS to start with. Bill Shurvington has built the MSII so that it can be quickly converted to MS2/extra/siamesed code/direct coil control later.

Made up a relay board with a fuse block. Main relay and fuel pump relay. Fuses for incoming, EDIS, MS, injectors and fuel pump. The EDIS unit is fitted underneath the realy board.

Got it running without a problem. Checked that the EDIS was firing on its own at 10 degrees. Then checked which coil was driving which cylinders by running the engine on the distributor. Checked that the laptop was talking to the MS. Then connected up the plug leads and it started straight away.

After all my double checking, I still needed to connect 1&4 plugs to the 2&3 coil. I think that the diagrams are incorrect, particularly the coild connections. I think the diagram is looking at the plug rather than the coil connection.

It ran better once I told it that it was not a V8 and upped the idle advance.

I haven't driven it yet because it's pissing down at the moment.

Next job is to wire in all the sensors for the EFI.

Edited by Paul S on 4th Mar, 2007.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

Nice! looks to run a bit lean doesn't it? AFR almost 17.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 4th of Mar, 2007 at 12:35pm miniminor63 said:
Nice! looks to run a bit lean doesn't it? AFR almost 17.

The wideband is not connected yet! Give us a chance!

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

he he okay:) was not trying to pick on you:)

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

well done axel (and the real axel) very exciting stuff bet you cant wait to get it timed up and stonking along .!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 4th of Mar, 2007 at 12:49pm robert said:
well done axel (and the real axel) very exciting stuff bet you cant wait to get it timed up and stonking along .!

The "real" Axel was still in bed, lazy little git. What is it with teenagers!

It's still bucketing down so not driven it yet. Don't fancy sorting teething problems at the side of the road in the rain.

RogerM

2514 Posts
Member #: 1217
I like nice quiet girly Minis

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Good work.

So what are the differneces between a normal MS2 config and the one Bill built for you then??

Think your right about the rain thing .... Mini's always wait till the worst possible time to die and laptop in the rain doesn't sound like fun..

Every day is a school day ...........

How fast and how expensive ...... the same question...

On 27th of Sep, 2007 at 12:45pm Jimster said:

why do you you think I got a girlfriend with small hands?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 4th of Mar, 2007 at 01:04pm RogerM said:
Good work.

So what are the differneces between a normal MS2 config and the one Bill built for you then??

The normal MS2 is wired to drive a single coil. It will give you mapped ignition, but you need a distributor.

Bill has modified it to work with the EDIS. The build instructions say install jumpers, but beware, they are not computer type jumpers, you actually have to go in with the soldering iron.

To run with the MS2/extra code it requires an additional ignition driver circuit to drive the Ford coil pack. The extra code needs the VR sensor and coil pack connected directly to the MS2 and you do away with the EDIS unit. Bill has done as much as he can, but I still need to do some mods when it comes to the changeover.

RogerM

2514 Posts
Member #: 1217
I like nice quiet girly Minis

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Ok, understand all that. I was wondering if Bill had come up with a universal do all modification .... seems he is mortal after all .... LOL

Every day is a school day ...........

How fast and how expensive ...... the same question...

On 27th of Sep, 2007 at 12:45pm Jimster said:

why do you you think I got a girlfriend with small hands?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 4th of Mar, 2007 at 01:35pm RogerM said:
Ok, understand all that. I was wondering if Bill had come up with a universal do all modification .... seems he is mortal after all .... LOL

He did offer to fit a header rail so that it would be a simple job to swap back and forwards, but I was getting impatient to get it fitted. Once I'm running the extra code, it will not be necessary to go back.

Home > Show Us Yours! > EFI Test Engine UPDATE 12/01/08
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: