Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Inlet Manifold Design

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Right, I've got a problem with this design.

I've ended up with the exhaust manifold branches a bit higher than I would have liked. This means that I can't get two injector inline on the inlet tract. It's more like the mirage setup.

The best design that will fit under the bonnet is as the attached .pdf.

The only way I can fit two injectors in is with one injector as shown and the second in either position A or B.

Any preferences?

Attachments:

Edited by Paul S on 14th May, 2007.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

What about shortening tube length, and having the plenum sit further back...

That should free more space up top ?

And perhaps switching to the shorter "pico" style injectors ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

Can you not sit them next to each other in the same tract, just rotated round a bit if you get my drift?

So that you have 2 in the posistion you have marked in the drawing..

Forgive me if its a stupid idea, I know didly squat about injection

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 14th of May, 2007 at 06:13pm stevieturbo said:
What about shortening tube length, and having the plenum sit further back...

That should free more space up top ?

And perhaps switching to the shorter "pico" style injectors ?

The idea of the banana shaped inlet was to make the runners as long as possible, to prevent any interaction between the two ports.

Also if the plenum was much further back, the throttle body and IC pipes would collide with the brake servo.

I've already got the Rover 460cc injectors, so don't want to have to spend on the picos.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 14th of May, 2007 at 06:22pm t2clubby said:
Can you not sit them next to each other in the same tract, just rotated round a bit if you get my drift?

So that you have 2 in the posistion you have marked in the drawing..

Forgive me if its a stupid idea, I know didly squat about injection

I could, but the consensus of opinion is that it would be wise not to position an injector so that it favours a particular cylinder.

Remember that the plan is to stage the injectors, only bringing in the second at high load.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

id junk the a and b positions and stick them in the plenum facing the bellmouths axel !

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

oh but make sure those are the high rpm second stage .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

johnK

1425 Posts
Member #: 690
Post Whore

Norfolk

as t2 mentioned, can two not be fitted side by side parallel or angled to fire on the back of the opposite valve head - much better idea than Aor B - if you do the side by side type at least the distances from the valve to the injectore will be the same if that makes sense. You should be able to do an elongated section of manifold to site the two bosses into.

If Carling made Mini engines
it would probably be like this one!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 14th of May, 2007 at 06:57pm robert said:
id junk the a and b positions and stick them in the plenum facing the bellmouths axel !

I would be worried about timing issues doing it that way. We are trying to inject during a very small window of valve opening. Two slugs of fuel that far apart are not going to land at the valve at the same time.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

run the theoretical airspeed axel ,and see how fast its moving at the rpm's your talking about ..i think itll work , but if it didnt you could allways double bung the manifold for a testing option on both .?

RogerM

2514 Posts
Member #: 1217
I like nice quiet girly Minis

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

I'll have to think it over a bit more but to have a real shot (no pun intended) at firing into the open valve period would be to have the injector close to the valve ..... otherwise you'd have to fire early to counter the transit delays and thus would almost certainly be firing into a unstable / reversing airstream thus, to some degree, running into the charge robbing issue.

I might have that wrong, tird and hungry but hat is how it seems to me as I tyre this.

Every day is a school day ...........

How fast and how expensive ...... the same question...

On 27th of Sep, 2007 at 12:45pm Jimster said:

why do you you think I got a girlfriend with small hands?

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
I'd be intereseted to find out what the timing implications would be for second stage a fair way from the valve as that'll probably be how mine will be done....
Cheers,
Gavin :)

Edited by Bat on 14th May, 2007.

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

A friend here in Norway has allegedly got 250 hp from a 1293 turbomini using a normal autronic system. He has made his own inlet with two pipes going side by side before merging into one close to the inlet to the head. He has placed the injector that is feeding cyl1 in the runner opposite of cyl1, and the injector feeding cyl2 opposite (or further away from) cyl2 and so one. Seems to work for him...

Edited by miniminor63 on 14th May, 2007.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Is that Brede Alnes of TS Racing?

This is taken from the latest Minimag:

Edited by Paul S on 14th May, 2007.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

correct! if you could scan that article it would be nice. we cant get minimag over here!

Edited by miniminor63 on 14th May, 2007.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

If it were me I would use position B. This seems to be the best compromise for being close to the valve for good timing and having a straight shot at the valves for less wall wetting.

As for the setup above, I'd be curious to know how driveability is for the entire range and how fuel efficient it is. I think you can probably optimise a setup with a conventional ECU to generate a lot of bananas but I doubt you can do it well from low to high RPM/load.

I'd also be interested to see the actual angle of the injectors and how close they are to a plenum. It might actually be emulating a wet intake such as a TBI setup.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

One thing I should add is that with position B, you'd want to have a good heat shield to make sure the injectors don't get heated too much by the exhaust especially if they're the staged ones which will only be used part of the time

Jean

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I'm drunk and can't be assed to read all this, sorry folks!! bbut i would deffo go with position B unless you can fit 2 injectors side by side inthe primary position.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

yep id say bredes is wet part of the time ,then as velocity increases prob works fairly dry ..
id made an assumption axel , that was that the inj point of opening would be advancing like a spark timing map ,and that it would be separately adjustable on each injector .did i get this wrong ?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th of May, 2007 at 09:06am robert said:
yep id say bredes is wet part of the time ,then as velocity increases prob works fairly dry ..
id made an assumption axel , that was that the inj point of opening would be advancing like a spark timing map ,and that it would be separately adjustable on each injector .did i get this wrong ?

I believe that Jean has written an injection advance map into the siamesed port code - I might be wrong.

The latest I recall was that you could fix the start, mid point or end point of the injection window. I'm not sure if you can then run that through an advance map.

Hope Jean can clarify.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

By the way, the position B hits the bulkhead, so I'm looking at other options.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Yes the injection timing is set using a map similar to a spark timing map. And the timing can be set with respect to the start, middle, or end of the injection pulse.

What that means is this. For example, lets say the injection pulse for the rpm/load is 5ms and the timing from the table is 30 degrees ATDC. Then for end-of-pulse timing, the injection will start 5ms before the engine reaches 30 degrees and stop at 30 degrees. For start-of-pulse timing, the injection will start at 30 degrees and last 5ms. For mid-pulse timing, the injection will start 2.5ms before 30 degrees and last 5ms so will end 2.5ms after 30 degrees.

Of course that's just an example and you would not use the same timing value for all three possible injection timing references. They each have there advantages and have been put in the code to see which gives an easier tuning of the injection timing which may also depend on the setup (intake size/shape, injector position,...). By the way, it's also possible to set the timing to a single fixed value for the whole range.

Jean

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

so as airspeed increases ,the point of injection onset can be mapped ,

and then fine tuned with the end,mid and start designation ,

so axel could run his lower inj at start of pulse setting ,
and then the upper ones at end of pulse ..or mid pulse ,
to get it all there at the same time

without having to run 2 sets of timings on the map ..

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

It might work but the code at the moment only has one set of parameters for both set of injectors (primary and secondary): one timing map and one timing reference (start, mid, end of pulse).

Also, the way the injector staging is done, is that both sets of injectors are injecting when the staging threshold is reached. The pulse width is reduced on the primary and the secondary is brought in.

That's another reason to have both sets of injectors close to each other. That could be changed in later releases but I'm still not convinced timing and wall wetting would not be an issue with injectors higher up the intake.

Jean

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Yep - also the closer the injector is to the valve, the less change in injector advance needed wrt rpm as you're reducing / eliminating the time factor.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Inlet Manifold Design
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: