Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Reading Turbine Maps

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

OK, we seem to have got compressor maps well and truly sorted.

But what about the turbine performance?

Garrett provide nice little graphs of flow against pressure ratio but do not explain how to use them.

For example a typical Turbine Map:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...27264turb_e.jpg

So my questions are:
1. Is the gas flow corrected to inlet conditions? or do you need to take account of combustion?

2. Is the pressure ratio across the turbine or the compressor.

3. How do you relate the curve to the turbine speed or the compressor power demand.

I feel that it is important to understand this because in order to get a high volumetic efficiency of the engine, you need turbine inlet pressures lower than the boost pressure. I'm sure that these "Turbine Maps" give the information we need but I'm not sure how to interpret them.

Edited by Paul S on 11th Oct, 2007.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

30 views and no replies!

I've found this:

It shows how you can relate turbine speed and mass flow to pressure ratio efficiency.

Obviously Garrett only publish half the information you need.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Turbo Shed

1303 Posts
Member #: 30
Post Whore

Epsom, Surrey

1 view was me, but i'm thick as shit and had no idea, so didnt post.

danboy

715 Posts
Member #: 1381
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Another view was me and I am still thinking about it.
Would it not be easier to make a best guess, see what the results are and then change in light of what you found?
It seems we are a bit in the dark regarding the 5 port A series and trial and error on top of an educated guess might be what is needed.
What do you think?
Regards
Dave

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Well, I went off to find a link i found, and still haven't found it. Grrrrrrrr.....

So, did you find this picture in a single place, or is there some background reading? I don't know that i've got enough input to make any real assumptions despite the picture.

All I've been doing is comparing how folks with the bigger turbos (the ones who get a choice of three turbines) do with their turbine choice as regards power and drivability for the CC of engine they used.
To be honest, it doesn't answer a whole lot, as folks use GT30's on vtecs and v8's... :(

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

tommyb

81 Posts
Member #: 934
Advanced Member

halifax, west yorks

according to this http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/turbos/garrett-turbos.asp

1. the gas flow is corrected to temperature and exhaust manifold pressure
2. the pressure ratio is across the turbine
3. not the foggyist!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks for your replies.

The picture came from here:
http://www.turbodriven.com/en/turbofacts/designTurbine.aspx

I've been thinking about this a bit this afternoon.

The power required to drive the compressor is a function of the mass flow, pressure differential and adiabatic efficiency.

This power has to be provided by the turbine with a mass flow, pressure differential and adiabatic efficiency.

Given that the efficiencies are similar, 70% ish, unless the mass flow changes through combustion, then the pressure ratio has to be higher - which is not good for high VE.

So I need to know about combustion! Good job that my youngest is doing A Level Chemistry. If I can get him off the playstation, I'll try to get him to explain.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well, he says that there is no mass change though combustion.

What I've missed above is temperature - of course :$

The turbine is driven by flow through a nozzle. This converts pressure and heat energy into kinetic energy that drives the turbine wheel.

The expansion through the nozzle, from high to low pressure follows the same laws as compression, but in reverse. So instead of a temperature rise you get a temperature drop.

If you start off with a high temperature, you get a higher temperature drop and this then contibutes to a higher energy conversion.

So it is highly likley that the pressure drop is less than boost unless the nozzle is too small.

How I can convert the above into anything useful is still puzzling me.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 11th of Oct, 2007 at 08:19pm Axel said:
How I can convert the above into anything useful is still puzzling me.

I hear That!!!!

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
I was going to say it's not rocket science, but having read this post it's not that far off *surprised*
Cheers,
Gavin :)

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

Just been looking in to this and found a good thread about the subject here:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/sho...ad.php?t=168543

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks.

That looks useful. I'll study it later.

Kean

2406 Posts
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/turbos/garrett-turbos.asp

This has some useful formulae for correcting turbine flow as well.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 24th Mar, 2009 t2clubby said:
http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/turbos/garrett-turbos.asp

This has some useful formulae for correcting turbine flow as well.

Bugger, I've just spent ages going through my old text books trying to find out how to correct the turbine flow.

You must be working through the same calcs as me.

Kean

2406 Posts
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

Yes probably, but yours will be correct lol

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Actually, I reckon that guy on the diesel truck forum has got it wrong.

That's why I was struggling because I could not get the same answers as him.

He's not using the Ideal Gas Law correctly - I think.

Kean

2406 Posts
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

I don't think he is allowing for pressure? he states

"let's say that there's no backpressure in the manifold or that it's negligible."

I think thats where the difference lies, although I could be talking crap because there are so many numbers and scribbles in front of me right now

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've come to the same conclusion.

His numbers are correct if you do not correct for the pressure ratio.

But he is dealing with very low boost pressures and presumably low back pressures.

If you start to increase the pressure ratio, to anything like we are running then it makes a significant difference in the corrected gas flow.

I still don't know what I'm going to do with this information, but I don't like unknowns.

1972-ANGUS

493 Posts
Member #: 3894

sallys gap. garden of Ireland

On 24th Mar, 2009 t2clubby said:
I don't think he is allowing for pressure? he states

"let's say that there's no backpressure in the manifold or that it's negligible."

was he not just simplifying things a bit, regarding the turbine, assuming the exaust at low rpm would have low pressure after the wheel to demonstrate the need for pressure drop?

im not good at this, but im new to it and trying to learn!
I was able to follow the general jist of it and found it very interesting as an overview.#
regards
colin

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 24th Mar, 2009 1972-ANGUS said:

was he not just simplifying things a bit, regarding the turbine, assuming the exaust at low rpm would have low pressure after the wheel to demonstrate the need for pressure drop?

I think you are right. However, he was still using quite a high temperature that would have given misleading results.

Anyway, I've just worked out that on my 1293 with the GT2056 it should be capable of developing around 15 psi boost by 4000 rpm.

That is based on a gas flow through a 1293 at 4000 rom at 15 psi is around 11 lb/min.

Correcting the 11 lb/min gives 10.1 lb/min.

At a flow of 10 lb/min and a PR of 2, the turbne curve is just flattening out and is therefore spooled up.

Would that be correct?

1972-ANGUS

493 Posts

Sooo, how wrong would i be to say that running too rich under boost, has the effect of not creating as much pressure at the turbine due to lower exaust temp, thus increasing lag to an extent??

and would that create a less steep curve on a diagram?
basic i know, sorry!
regards
colin

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 24th Mar, 2009 1972-ANGUS said:
Sooo, how wrong would i be to say that running too rich under boost, has the effect of not creating as much pressure at the turbine due to lower exaust temp, thus increasing lag to an extent??

and would that create a less steep curve on a diagram?

I would have thought that a lower exhaust temp due to running over rich would be detremental to the performance of the turbo.

The curve shown is a feature of the turbo so would be unaffected.

1972-ANGUS

493 Posts

yes indeed,
im very slow at typing and had further refined my last response, but not beforew you got back, as in my last two posts went together, and didnt get timt to respond to you.sorry
so to your previous post i would agree indeed, and my thoughts on the rich mix v temp was before your chart, which i would also agree with. to the theory anyway, the adjustment of the figures is what im trying to get around at the monent.
regards
coln

Kean

2406 Posts
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

But surely running rich would increase the initial flow figure due to the fuel content? Maybe enough to ofset the cooling effect?

A rich mix could increase that 10.1 by almost another 1lb/min surely...?

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

First let me say I know nothing about turbine maps. But if I look at the curve shown and using Paul's numbers, does that mean that the turbine becomes a significant restriction at 4000RPM and that either the wastegate has to start opening or the backpressure will increase?

Does it also mean that the wastegate should be opened above 4000RPM if backpressure increases regardless of the intake pressure because the turbine won't flow more anyways? If so, then would it make sense to control the wastegate from both the intake and exhaust pressure?

I'm sorry if I'm completely off track but I'm just trying to make sense of this.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Home > Technical Chat > Reading Turbine Maps
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: