Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > How To > hi-los with springs

american mini freak

44 Posts
Member #: 2243

Germany

I just fitted hi-los and comp springs on my mini, first i wasnt going to fit hi-los but when i put the springs on the original trumpets my mini looked like a monster truck....not good....so i put the hi-los on and was able to set balance once again in my minis stance, the problem im having is when i hit a nice sized pot hole the swing arm sags to low and seperates the hi-los from the springs. in the front i just fited oversized bump stops worked great but what can i do for the rear? and if someone has a solution can you post pics. thanks

minimole23

4301 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Hmm, I know that old springs can compress over time, but new ones being that out when new suprises me me a bit.

Edited by minimole23 on 14th Feb, 2008.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

american mini freak

44 Posts

Germany

They are not the rubber springs they are the matal ones green comp spec, but yea im not really shure what to do, maybe assemble custom bump stops or something..

James_H

3692 Posts
Member #: 1833
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

i've heard about this happening before. not to sure what the people dod im afraid (sorry) but i guess you could make up some sort of raiser block for the bump stop??

just out of curiosity how do you think these compare to the cones? how would you rate them??

american mini freak

44 Posts

Germany

On a scale 1-10 i give them a 15, first they do not have the bounce affect when hitting bumps i mean you feal the bumps but there isnot so much counter bounce, Ive also found that cornering and handling has sky rocketed, before i bought them i was sceptical, than i drove in my buddies mini and had to have them. Plus you dont ever need to change your cones again...you have springs.
cheers

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

drill a few holes in the hilo body and zip tie them to the spring?

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

What about a shorter shock? It's dangerous to have springs/hilos unseat on full droop. I think KC did a chart with the open and closed lengths of all the popular shocks for minis.

Plus I don't get how the springs were designed for a direct replacement for cones and obviously something isn't compatable. I know some spring kits for minis need special hilos to suit that can also be supplied with the springs. Have you cantacted the spring manufacturer?

Edited by Jay#2 on 15th Feb, 2008.

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

american mini freak

44 Posts

Germany

Yea the springs pass perfect with the old trumpets but with hi-los they have to much play if i raise the hi-los it works fine but it looks like shit....monster truck, shorter shocks would work but i would only need them in the rear,i think i will go with shorter shock, its a safer solution and there isnt any experimenting involved while its not an issue i want to play around with. thanks for everyones input if anyone else has something they have done to solve this other than shorter shocks i would love to hear it..thanks

James_H

3692 Posts
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

i have some gmax (i think?) lowered shocks that you can have pretty cheap if you wish. will have to go out to the car and have a look at them to see the condition of them and then tell you a price. let me know if your interested?

i take it your based in america? put you locatio up in your info bit.

american mini freak

44 Posts

Germany

Yea im out of florida but live in germany ive got a pair of red konis i just need to adjust them so they are all they way stiff and i will se how that goes. but thanks anyway

James_H

3692 Posts
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

ok offers there if you need it mate.

mowog

72 Posts
Member #: 6792
Advanced Member

I looked at replacing the rubber donuts with springs some 25 years ago. There were no 'off the shelf' springs avaiable back then, so I engauged a spring engineer (sprong!!) to do all the calcs. I gave him the weights, rates and travel.

He came back as said that it cannot be done with springs, try rubber. Hmmmm, funny about that!*surprised**surprised**surprised*

I have seen these springs and did look on with interest as I had hoped that spring technology had come along in the past 25 years, so I again sent it all off to the same guy and he had the same reply.

IMO for street use, at this point in time for a mini, Sorry but it just cannot be done.

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

On 5th Dec, 2009 mowog said:
I looked at replacing the rubber donuts with springs some 25 years ago. There were no 'off the shelf' springs avaiable back then, so I engauged a spring engineer (sprong!!) to do all the calcs. I gave him the weights, rates and travel.

He came back as said that it cannot be done with springs, try rubber. Hmmmm, funny about that!*surprised**surprised**surprised*

I have seen these springs and did look on with interest as I had hoped that spring technology had come along in the past 25 years, so I again sent it all off to the same guy and he had the same reply.

IMO for street use, at this point in time for a mini, Sorry but it just cannot be done.

Totally don't agree, i have been in a mini with springs and hilo's and the ride and handling were excellent infact best ive been in for 13" wheels, just because ONE exspurt says it cant be done does not mean its not right for the individual setup

Edited by wolfie on 5th Dec, 2009.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

mowog

72 Posts
Member #: 6792
Advanced Member

On 5th Dec, 2009 wolfie said:

Totally don't agree, i have been in a mini with springs and hilo's and the ride and handling were excellent infact best ive been in for 13" wheels, just because ONE exspurt says it cant be done does not mean its not right for the individual setup

Sorry mate, that's not what I was driving at. Your post is the very reason that I looked in to it oh and to get away from the sagging we get over time. No, what I was on about was we can not get the required rate and travel out of a spring. The springs that are available comprimise by having a short travel.

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Springs are shit period! Got a set on mine biggest waste of money you could every fork out. Huddersfield would not take them back so they are still on the car I have to avoid even dips in the road for fear of the wheels hitting the arch.

Your friend is correct it cant be done although people have produced them they are worthless upgrades as they do not work period *angry*

I have the red ones fitted, the, "ride over the curbs like an F1 driver" ones, and they are softer than standard mini cones.

With standard cones fitted to my car, if I park with a rear wheel on the curb the adjacent front and rear wheels will be in the air! With the springs the wheel on the curb and opposite front dissapear up into the arches and all 4 wheels are on the ground.:(

Huddersfield Minispares will never see another penny from my wallet *angry* these springs are not fit for purpose and do not produce the performance as advertised. *angry*

Own the day

NZMED1293

45 Posts
Member #: 8924

New Zealand

competition rubber cones all the way...although there are alot of inferior springs and hi-los being produced nowadays so maybe alot of people have cheap versions..

NEW ZEALAND MIGLIA SPEC ROAD LEGAL TURBO MINI BUILD THREAD >>>

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=363477

Home > How To > hi-los with springs
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: