Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Air flow and Pressure Ratio Calcs

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

*laughing*

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Ahhhhh that's better, got my fix.

n = Cp/Cv which is about 1.4 for air.

The temperature will rise through the compressor and then drop through the intercooler. If it doesn't then you have done something wrong.

Now where is that dark room for a lay down?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Paul,

Going back through your maths and my calculations it would appear that the compressor efficentcy has no effect on the power the engine make or the compressor output figures. This doesn't sound right to me.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well, it does in my calcs, but not by a lot if you have set a high intercooler efficiency.

With a high intercooler efficiency, the extra heat created by the compressor inefficiency is largely removed, so that the engine inlet temperature does not rise significantly and therby drop the power.

I think that if the intercooler has a lot more work to do, it will not be so efficient.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thinking about this a bit more.

The effect of a poor compressor efficiency, not only impacts on the intercooler efficiency, but also the engine volumetric efficiency.

If you think about it, the lower compressor efficiency that puts more heat into the air, also puts greater demands on the turbine. The wastegate has to close a bit to force more gas through the turbine to provide the exra power. This in turn increases the back pressure on the engine and reduces VE.

So you really need to adjust all the efficiencies if you want to identify the impact of a poor compressor selection.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 2nd Mar, 2010 Rob H said:

If assume Paul's torque curve remains flat beyond 5630 rpm (I can see no reason why it wouldn't) and extrapolate the power curve out to 6500 rpm you get 121 BHP at 6500 rpm, which is exactly the same as calculated above.

Well done, I'm seriously impressed.

As I've just pointed out in my rolling road thread, the only reason that the power drops off at 5700rpm is because the rev limiter soft cut comes in and retards the ignition before the fuel cut at 6000rpm. I didn't realise that was going on as it is ages since I input the rev limiter settings.

If the 105 lbft is carried through to 6000rpm, then we would have seen 120hp.

Rob H

4314 Posts

The West Country

Totally agree with you able compressor efficiently, just couldn't see were you used it in your calculations, however I was being blind, having re-read the attached for the hundredth time I spotted it.

Rob H

4314 Posts

The West Country

It people want to have a play I've converted the attached pdf into an excel spreadsheet.

Rob H

4314 Posts

The West Country

On 2nd Mar, 2010 Paul S said:
I just need to improve the head to make it flow a bit more, add a GT1752 and we could see around 130hp !

Just looked at your estimated GT1752 Map:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=140552

and from what I can tell on a small bore you'd be on the wrong side of the surge line the whole time, unless I've missed something again.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

You missed something again *happy*

Remember that the TT2 runs a GT1752.

Rob H

4314 Posts

The West Country

What have I missed this time?

I fully appreciate that the TT2 runs a GT17 but with a Compressor Pressure Ratio of 1.895 and a Compressor Air Flow of 10.9 I make you seriously left of the surge line.

I'm being not to like this maths business.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rob,

What are you calling the surge line?

10.9 and 1.895 sits between the surge line and the best efficiency line.

You have missed from the calcs that the air flow after intercooling is 12.6 lb/min.

I intend to increase the revs on my engine and get nearer to the high efficiency island.

Edited by Paul S on 4th Mar, 2010.

Rob H

4314 Posts

The West Country

I've been very stupid and got the surge line and the best efficiency line muddled up, I feel like a proper Muppet.

Out of interest what do you reckon the pressure drop is for each bend in the IC pipes? About the same as the pressure drop across the IC? or does the IC pressure drop take into account the loss due to the plumbing?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 8th Mar, 2010 Rob H said:
Out of interest what do you reckon the pressure drop is for each bend in the IC pipes? About the same as the pressure drop across the IC? or does the IC pressure drop take into account the loss due to the plumbing?

I've no idea really, I just use 50mBar loss to account for the IC and pipework.

Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Air flow and Pressure Ratio Calcs
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: