Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Calling all welding experts!

r1_manx

82 Posts
Member #: 2675
Advanced Member

Isle of Man

Hey guys,

Me and my mate are currently welding up the frame on my custom mini which is made from tubular steel. We are having problems getting the TIG welder to produce a good weld in places and I have asked my mate James to explain the issue below:

"Welding problem:

Setup as follows: Tig welding ~3-4mm mild steel @ max of 120A, HF start. Argon shield, 10 to 12 l/min IIRC (though not verified on a flowmeter), 2-3 sec of post-weld flow. Using pedal for up and down slope on current. 1.6mm copper coated, clean fresh filler rod.

*Two problems. The first is the galvanised pipe, after sanding it back to steel (as opposed to zinc) it is still contaminating the weld and there's a white smoke/powder forms around some sections of the weld. Weld tends to contain voids. I guess this is just tiny traces of the zinc left after sanding?

*Clean mild steel. Some welds are fine, exactly as expected, neat fishscales then others on the same material form numerous small voids that wont close up or if they do end up as hidden bubbles in the weld. As you ramp the current down the final bubble often grows as it cools into a sort of hollow boil on the surface of the weld (as opposed to the more normal shallow depression and small pimple).

I can't see any common difference in setup or materials between welds that work and those that are shit. Human error, bad technique (I'm self taught having read a couple of books so I readily accept this is most likely though I have little problem on aluminium)? Bad filler? Bad stock? Wrong flow?"

Sorry for the mahoosive post. We may try welding the frame using a MIG or gas welder, so if this is a better option, I would appreciate any advice at all from experienced welders on here.

Cheers

"If i'm not in action...i'm in traction"

Mr Joshua

2487 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

You may have too much gas flow there ny friend. Other than that your getting contamination from some where have you tried warming the metal first?

Own the day

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 31st Oct, 2008 r1_manx said:
The first is the galvanised pipe, after sanding it back to steel (as opposed to zinc) it is still contaminating the weld and there's a white smoke/powder forms around some sections of the weld. Weld tends to contain voids. I guess this is just tiny traces of the zinc left after sanding?

Zinc - white powder is the giveaway. You may have to be more aggresive than sanding ie, grinding, to remove it all.

On 31st Oct, 2008 r1_manx said:
*Clean mild steel. Some welds are fine, exactly as expected, neat fishscales then others on the same material form numerous small voids that wont close up or if they do end up as hidden bubbles in the weld. As you ramp the current down the final bubble often grows as it cools into a sort of hollow boil on the surface of the weld (as opposed to the more normal shallow depression and small pimple).

Oxidation of the molten weld metal. Usually from contamination (NOT from inadequate shield gas flow with these symptoms) and usually coming from the back of the weld, ie, the inside of the pipe is dirty or the gap at the back of the weld is too big.

Can be poor filler wire - is it proper TIG wire you're using ??? Gas filler wire is NO GOOD for TIG. It should have the BS/EN number and the grade on two small flats at the end of the wires if it's proper TIG wire. But more likely contamination or air from the back of the weld.

Are you, for example, welding up a closed tube ??? If so, the heat of welding expands the air in the tube and blows contamination (and air) through your molten metal. Each tube should ideally have a small hole drilled through its wall near where the welds will be. A high integrity weld would require a small flow of argon inside the tube as well as the argon from the torch to stop this.

There are many other possibilities, but those are the obvious ones.

Also I would be using at least a 2.4mm filler wire for that size material and that current. Having too small a wire for the size weld pool won't help, and the current sounds quite high for that size tube.

Final thought - correct tungsten (thoriated) and proper angle ground on the end - the zinc will kill the end of the tungsten in no time at all....

EDIT - just noticed, you don't say what size tungsten... I would be using a 2.4mm on that size pipe and that high a current.

Edited by Rod S on 31st Oct, 2008.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

5portsrock

122 Posts
Member #: 2023
Advanced Member

nr Portsmouth ,Hampshire

make sure to wear masks when welding galvinized tube as the fumes given off are not good for you

Ben.

628 Posts
Member #: 1064
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

On 31st Oct, 2008 5portsrock said:
make sure to wear masks when welding galvinized tube as the fumes given off are not good for you

Very true, my mum cooked at a bbq a while back, the prick who's bbq it was got the bbq grill gavanised and my mum ended up in hospital for 2 days from the fumes.

Build Thread Click Here

r1_manx

82 Posts
Member #: 2675
Advanced Member

Isle of Man

Thanks for all the advice so far guys very helpful. I have spoken to my mate James and he has this in reply:

"Oxidation from the rear is a very definite possibility and one I hadn't really considered. With the benefit of (iffy) hindsight it is more of a problem where the gap is 'big' or I'm doing pipes where the inside may not be fully clean. I'm not closing pipe/tube, I'm aware that the hot internal air is a problem when doing so.

Tungsten is correct type and 2.4mm, ground to a point (axial grind marks)

Too much gas is a possibility, it's something I need to look into to save money if nothing else but it's not blowing the bubbles in the puddle, they seem to form in the metal then surface."

"If i'm not in action...i'm in traction"

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

Bring the gas flow down to 8 l/min, should stop the holes forming and give a neater weld

Paul

I seriously doubt it!

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

are you sure its the right tungsten?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

CH007

54 Posts
Member #: 8863
Advanced Member

Wiltshire

Sorry to bring up old thread but may help others. The higher gas flow as a few others have said will cause big problems with weld quality. When you go too high turbulence occurs and you end up pulling air into what should be, inert atmosphere.

So drop down to 8l a min max I weld at 6lpm but everyone has slightly different methods and also depends on draughts etc. Most of my work is stainless so the 8 may be better

madcatminis

549 Posts
Member #: 5327
Post Whore

Dudley, West mids

Get yourself a small pieced of titaium. This will show up any problems with your gas and flow. I weld anything from titanium, nickel alloys, aluminium, stainless, colbalt, carbon steels and have my gas set to 14lpm. My equiptment is calibrated every 6 months and is aerospace verified.
I suspect that it's your cleaning of the material is the cause. The galvinised surface is finding it's way into the weld and disrupting the grain pattern of the base material.
I also think that the voids your getting is from the weld not being purged with argon from the back of the weld.

CH007

54 Posts
Member #: 8863
Advanced Member

Wiltshire

Madcat, I guess 14lpm could work fine but will depend on shroud size. if you have a nice big diameter shroud then no problem. if your using very small diameter shroud (most tig kits supplied with these) then 14 would be too high imo and cause probs.

However it sounds like you are a much more experienced welder than me so would love to hear your views on this :)

madcatminis

549 Posts
Member #: 5327
Post Whore

Dudley, West mids

Oh yes good point. I use a wide ceramic. A wide ceramic is best all round if gas usage is not a problem. Also tungsten projection (amount the tip of the tungsten stands proud of the ceramic) I'll take a photo of my torch while I'm at work tomorrow and post it on this thread.

Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Calling all welding experts!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: