Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > The 500 and 731/800 kent cams

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Have a look at the MD274.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=123522

Short intake, long exhaust duration, good lift and low overlap due to the 110 degree LSA.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

alpa

520 Posts
Member #: 2093
Post Whore

Grenoble, France

Bat:
In France it's 2.5% for late carb generation, HC is not regulated LOL. Staying under 2.5% is easy. Generally the nightmare starts at about 2mm+lash lift at TDC, which is the rally/race cam range.
I think idle is a good indicator. A good idle means not too much resident pressure at intake opening, which means freedom for boost level and cam duration. That's why I'm looking at the TDC lift.

Paul: your approximations (from the thread you pointed) look very different from the real profiles I measured.

The take-off area is usually very grinder dependent and very different from basic Sin/Cos shapes. Just by looking at this zone one can say if cams are well designed. Of course the rest is important as well, but radical asymmetric-ramp square-shaped cams are rare (Schrick does them for Porsche)

MD274 numbers
Sports Injection 1000-6000 I 7.23 E 7.13 I 8.95 E 8.71 I 284 Deg E 274 Deg 12/56 69/25 112 Deg 0.40 I 0.58mm CF1 / VS2

There is not enough overlap (it's still useful on turbo engines, I think the turbine acts like a vacuum pump), and most important the intake phase is too short. There are more lift, but it's not well tunned to rev above 6000RPM (short intake). On track this makes difference. For pure street car it's certainly not important.
9mm lift is like on SW5. Swiftune sell SW5 with a special set of springs, I have it on my 998, they are harder than std springs (I measured). I think 8mm lift is better because you can keep std springs so have less losses.
69/25 exhaust looks huge. "69" may be better to get a high efficiency street engine (even if I'm not convinced Miller cycle is worth of effort on so poorly designed heads), but in this case I don't see interested in having "25" closing retard, this is where resident gases may come back into the cylinder from exhaust.

MD266 has a good point: higher exhaust than intake lift. Unfortunately intake is not well located (I think) for a turbo application.
The best would be a mix of MD266 and 731.

Sorry for a long text.

Edited by alpa on 2nd Jan, 2009.

std 998 A+, g295, MD266, RHF4, 109hp @0.8bar/5400rpm

alpa

520 Posts
Post Whore

Grenoble, France

I'm attaching the profiles because my Internet provider is putting me out.

I bought a used 731, I'll measure profiles.

Attachments:

Edited by alpa on 5th Jan, 2009.

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

MD266 has a good point: higher exhaust than intake lift. Unfortunately intake is not well located (I think) for a turbo application.
The best would be a mix of MD266 and 731.
correct! the MG CAM is all the 731 should be

one quote:- of a well known A series tuner stated use a 731 cam and loose all the bottom end and gain very little in the middle and Gain almost nothing at the Top!

alpa

520 Posts
Post Whore

Grenoble, France

On 6th Jan, 2009 BENROSS said:

one quote:- of a well known A series tuner stated use a 731 cam and loose all the bottom end and gain very little in the middle and Gain almost nothing at the Top!

Was it on a turbo engine ?

On a N/A this would be understandable because IC is late but overlap is low, so you loose torque (IC) but don't fully take advantage of a tuned exhaust (overlap).
Now I realize that on a N/A this cam is a nonsense unless you want a green catalized engine with a kick at 4000 RPM (which is a nonsense on an old 2v). Even for turbo it may be a wrong choice if one wants a classic torque curve with a max at 3500. For fun I prefer high rev turbos like Maserati Ghibli 2L.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

a list of Kent can dealers can be found here http://www.kentcams.com/

Lots of the dealers listed will ship abroard.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I ran the Kent MD274 cam in the 1400 with 1.5:1 ratio rockers and it gave 100bhp at 6800rpm and 87lbft at, I cant for the life of me remember *oh well* That was on a standard production ECU which was a little conservative at best.

Results with the VEMS ECU gave 100lbft and 95bhp, but recon there was a little more tuning in that.

Jackman runs a Kent MD274SP in his 1293 SPi with a MG Metro type head the usual filter and exhaust mods and that gave 80bhp and 64lbft.

The MD274 cam is not something to dissmiss just on a graph!

Its all about experimentation, its all fine talking about it, but untill you try it, you will never really know. Make your choice, run it for a year then change it. if it doesnt give the reulsts then change it back. That is what engine development is all about. and it doesnt happen over night *wink*

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

DD_Racing

315 Posts
Member #: 3013

Epsom Surrey

i ran a old mg metro cam in mine at 1st running around 18 psi and it felt strong and revved round to 6500 easy n felt liek it was still pulling well

but i recently changed to a 266 and personally i thourght it lacked power!! it didnt feel as though it pulled as strong

ok its only a minimal feeling of difference but a difference none the less

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

On 6th Jan, 2009 DD_Racing said:
i ran a old mg metro cam in mine at 1st running around 18 psi and it felt strong and revved round to 6500 easy n felt liek it was still pulling well

but i recently changed to a 266 and personally i thourght it lacked power!! it didnt feel as though it pulled as strong

ok its only a minimal feeling of difference but a difference none the less

Did you have the car rolling roaded afterwards? At what did you time the cam to?

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

the 266 should be timed in at 107deg ATDC

akirch

337 Posts
Member #: 399

Austria

I thought the MD266 should be timed in at 106deg ATDC?

http://www.minifreunde.at

DD_Racing

315 Posts

Epsom Surrey

i timed my one in to kent cams spec which is 106 deg

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

On 7th Jan, 2009 DD_Racing said:
i timed my one in to kent cams spec which is 106 deg

What did the Rolling road after the camchange say?

Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

There is thought that if you time a cam into, say, 107 degrees, using a new chain, it will achieve 106 degrees when the chain has bedded in :)

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 7th Jan, 2009 Sprocket said:
There is thought that if you time a cam into, say, 107 degrees, using a new chain, it will achieve 106 degrees when the chain has bedded in :)

Other way around surely Sprocket, or am I having a bad night ???

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

dont they stretch out by about 3 degrees after a few miles? thats what has been recommended to me anyhow

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 7th Jan, 2009 Rod S said:
On 7th Jan, 2009 Sprocket said:

Other way around surely Sprocket, or am I having a bad night ???

Probibly, never actualy thought about it as I typed it *laughing*

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 7th Jan, 2009 joeybaby83 said:
dont they stretch out by about 3 degrees after a few miles? thats what has been recommended to me anyhow

Chains dont streach, they wear *tongue*

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I went for 1 degree (for potential new chain stretch) but my logic was the cam follows the crank so with the AFTER TDC cam reading for measuring the inlet valve lift, I set mine at 105 degrees assuming it will stretch to 106...

Maybe I am going mad.....

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

DD_Racing

315 Posts

Epsom Surrey

well with the 266 my car made 107hp on 6 psi on the rolling road with 1.5 roller rockers and 8.2.1 compression and my own ported head!!

i dont know what it made with the mg metro cam though as i never dynod it with that in.

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

On 7th Jan, 2009 DD_Racing said:
well with the 266 my car made 107hp on 6 psi on the rolling road with 1.5 roller rockers and 8.2.1 compression and my own ported head!!

i dont know what it made with the mg metro cam though as i never dynod it with that in.

There you go. That might be the reason for it feeling not as good. It wasn't setup *wink*

matnrach

152 Posts
Member #: 1074
Advanced Member

Northamptonshire

Does anybody know the spec of these cams?
http://www.minisport.com/acatalog/info_CAM260M.html

or

http://www.minisport.com/acatalog/info_CAM265M.html

DD_Racing

315 Posts

Epsom Surrey

well i didnt do any settin up on the dyno that was just quickly put it on and see how much power???

but driving around and everything the mg one felt alot better drivability wise

but obviously felt good under power aswell

i mean if you think about it it doesnt matter what cam makes the (most!) power what matters is how it drives on the road!! if it gives you fat midrange and up the top and drives nice im happy..lol

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

On 8th Jan, 2009 DD_Racing said:
im happy..lol

well, with no comparitive data, v certainly wont be!

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

DD_Racing

315 Posts

Epsom Surrey

well i personally prefer the mg metro cam but hey every one has there own opinions and views

Home > Technical Chat > The 500 and 731/800 kent cams
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: