Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Coil on Plug options

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Now that we can have coil-on-plug using Jeans add-on board, i've been considering option for coil-on-plug on a 5 port.

The problem with most COP coils is that they are designed for a twin cam head and are very long. So long that they may even hit the bonnet. Also vibration may be a problem due to the unsupported length.

I've been looking at Coil-Near-Plug systems such as the LS2 coils:

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm#ls2

Anyone had any experience with this type of coil?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I have been reccomended these many times by folks stateside, to the point I bought a set of LSx units - but sold them when I needed some cash LOL! (but I did sell them for 3x more than I paid, and more than the 'going rate' so not too bad a deal!

I believe StevieTurbo has personal experience of them (he might have also been one of the folks who reccomended them to me?

Edited by TurboDave16V on 9th Mar, 2009.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've just found some new ones on Ebay US for $240 for eight.

Is that the right sort of price?

Tempted.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

It seems to be a mixed opinion on which is 'better' - as in LS1 or LS2 - but I can't help but feel if you buy a set, you've got four spare so it doesn't really matter. LS2+ stuff should be easier to source as the motors weren't quite as scarce. You need to price up the connectors as well though...

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On a 4 cylinder engine that won't be doing astronomical RPM, is there really much benefit over coilpack ?

The increased available dwell/spark time shouldn't actually be required, there are plenty of 4 cylinder turbos that happily run a single coil through a dizzy cap - obviously the LT side is electronic through the EMS but it's still a single coil and mechanical distribution - and can still generate enough spark voltage for high boost levels.

So I'm intrigued as to where you see the benefit.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Mar, 2009 Rod S said:

So I'm intrigued as to where you see the benefit.

Because I'm not happy with using secondhand EDIS coil packs.

Particularly as I've spent three weekends trying to tune the new code and it may have been time wasted.

Plus the WOW factor of course.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I know EVO was having problems ages ago with coil packs - maybe it was him who put me onto the LSx stuff...
Damn this getting older and memory poorer lark. :(

PaulH

1346 Posts
Member #: 2340
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

Blieve it or not Dave your Memory is still perfect is your recall system thats Fucked *tongue*

On 17th Feb, 2009 Rob H said:

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 9th Mar, 2009 Paul S said:

Plus the WOW factor of course.

Hmmmm....

Bling in the engine bay :)

You're still going to have to get used to setting the parameters for these though, and the effect of any changes to those parameters ???

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 9th Mar, 2009 Paul S said:

Because I'm not happy with using secondhand EDIS coil packs.

Just for info the coil packs are available new for not a lot of dosh- about £45 I believe. This is what I bought when we built the DON.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Mar, 2009 Tom Fenton said:

Just for info the coil packs are available new for not a lot of dosh- about £45 I believe. This is what I bought when we built the DON.

From a Ford dealer or a local factor?

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

That was from the factors, a Motorcraft part though.

Like fuel 😂😂

PaulH

1346 Posts
Member #: 2340
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

http://trigger-wheels.com/store/index1.html
Tom is spot on £45 *wink*

On 17th Feb, 2009 Rob H said:

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

Scruffy

1451 Posts
Member #: 328
Post Whore

Seaford Rise, South Australia

Also the coil on plugs not terribly reliable - just ask VAG who had cars off the road in bulk a few years back!

On 5th Sep, 2011 Vegard said:
I stand corrected. You should know *wink*

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

I have to say I've personally come across or heard of far more problems with standalone coils than I have with coilpacks. As Nick says VAG coils are prone to fail, as are Peugeot/Citroen/Renault ones. Henry Fords mob use a coilpack.

Like fuel 😂😂

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

On 9th Mar, 2009 TurboDave said:
I know EVO was having problems ages ago with coil packs - maybe it was him who put me onto the LSx stuff...
Damn this getting older and memory poorer lark. :(

i was having issues with the spark blowing out with an edis coilpack, switched over to VW COP units from the 1.8T20v engine and have never had a spark related missfire since, but i have went through 2 coils and now alsways carry a spare. there £25 from any VW dealer.

however, many people run the edis coils to much higher boost levels than i was running and have no issues so my experience (with hindsight) could have been tainted! .. still the spark off the VW coils is tremendous so not swapping back.

stumpy COP units were fitted to the nissan CA18DET, SR20DET and RB20det and all other twin cam varients, however , there expensive! also the late subaru units with the built in ignitors are fairly stumpy and not overly expensive.. lovely thread on them here

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1192028

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Kawasaki or Suzuki Denso coils.

I use the 129700-4150 coils with 1.5ms dwell and have run them with 1ms dwell up to 8k rpm without issue.

I initialy used a very short coil, but had problems with those blowing fuses with a dwell of 1ms. Thinking about it now I recon a dwell 0f 0.5ms would have probably been more apropriate for those, but I just wanted to get the engine running and set up without the fannying around. I am going to try them again.

I think the reliablity issue of them is subjective. You only really hear about the ones that fail, but never the ones that dont. Coil packs also fail. COP coils are prone to abuse on aftermarket ECU's and fail more rapidly if they are set up incorrectly, you cannot simply double up the coils on one ignition driver, as the Back EMF's do wierd things with them. Apparently, well that is what I have been told. One coil per driver *wink* One thing to consider with COP is that if one coil fails, you loose one cylinder, where as if one coil fails on a coil pack you loose two cylinders

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-GSX-R600-K2-I...%3A1|240%3A1318

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Those coils aren't exactly compact are they?

So what are you going to do Paul? A brand-new EDIS?

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

How compact do you want them to be Dave?

The coils pictured are about 15mm longer than the ones I was having problems with

Edited by Sprocket on 10th Mar, 2009.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

That's ok with a twin cam head but with a 5 port head they would be out there. And I don't know how you'd keep them secured.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks for the help guys.

I think that all the COP options will break plugs. The plugs are not designed to carry the weight of a coil unsupported.

My preferred option is the LS2 coils. Jean has informed me that they do not need the IGBT driver in the ECU as they work off the ECU logic circuit.

The LS2 coils work out at £30 each. Plus some connectors.

Cheaper would be the new EDIS coil pack, but that's a bit boring.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 10th Mar, 2009 jbelanger said:
That's ok with a twin cam head but with a 5 port head they would be out there. And I don't know how you'd keep them secured.

Jean

Exactly. We are talking about a 5-port here *wink*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well, I've bought some LS2 type coils.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=180334507680

See how they go.

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
You're right in that they do need some support.

Cheers,
Gavin :)

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

LS1/2 coils are very powerful, and have been proven in many V8 1000bhp+ builds, and smaller 4 cyl turbo, big boost, methanol etc...
Haltech even re-sell these as their own high power coils.

best to buy em as a complete take off with leads/wiring from a used car if possible. Saves any hassle sourcing parts.

I have some coil lead terminations if needed ( MSD sell them to sut 8.5mm leads )

Although I think Some Astra, Citroen and Pug leads use the same fitment as these coils.

Although any typical modern 4 tower coil would probably porovide enough spark, and be cheaper.

97/98 Subaru coilpacks are very good, although require an ignitor.
The LS coils have a built in ignitor.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Coil on Plug options
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: