Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Four

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

It would help if I read the instructions first !

All working now.

I've got the MS running OK on the JimStim and it accepted a good 4 squirts per cycle .msq from before I changed over to the single pulse.

I've also fitted all four of the Rover Mpi injectors. That about 970cc/min per port.

I'll have some lunch and then try it on the car. Wish me luck.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

OK, good luck.

If you want to see your resultant pulses on the scope, email me your final msq....

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

Good luck, don't let Myles break it!

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

The initial pain of using TS is that the siamese code is an alpha version and not yet officially supported. So instead of just choosing the correct firmware version, you have to point it to the correct ini. And clicking on Other and the 3 dots is not that intuitive, at least to me.

However, once this is done, it should be better. It will also be easier once there is a stable version of the code fully supported in TS.

Good luck Paul. :)

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 25th Jun, 2009 sturgeo said:
Good luck, don't let Myles break it!

Too late *frown*

I can't get it to run very well.

I've switched it back to just 2 injectors to eliminate the possibility that it is due to too short pulse widths.

It will run, but pulse widths are jumping all over the shop. The TPS Accel and Decel lights are flashing in TS although I'm not touching the throttle.

On the Jimstim now and in the Accel Enrichment window I'm getting spikes in TPSdot. I've calibrated the TPS.

I've increased TPSdot and it seems to have settled down a bit. I'll give it another try.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Have you reset the VR pots between car and JimStim - I find this the most frustrating bit to get stable running and sych on either - I have it down to an exact 7 turns on one of the pots between the two....

Edited by Rod S on 25th Jun, 2009.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

This may be due to code corruption or incompatible msq files. You could start by reloading the previous code and your msq then exporting your VE and ignition tables. Then load the new code and import the tables and set the rest of the parameters by hand.

This way, you are sure there is no incompatibility and you're starting with the same tables. I'm not sure if there are compatibility issue because I'm not sure how TS (or MT) deals with the translation between different code versions. I just know that if there are some, the result may be inconsistent behaviour (and possible code corruption).

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rod, I've never had to adjust the pots between the car or the jimstim, both seem to work OK with the same settings.

Jean, I think that you are correct.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Interesting - I have always had to adjust the pots between Jimstim and engine, and Jean has confirmed this is quite usual in a previous thread.

I also loaded my last (best) msq straight onto the new code yesterday without issues (as per my posts last night) and then made several adjustmants without problem but, obviously my starting msq will have been very different to yours.

If you get really stuck, email me your last working msq and I'l load it on mine and see what happens (Jimstim only of course, no wheels on the car yet.....)

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rod, have you noticed that on the Jimstim you get TPS Accel without touching the pot?

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

There shouldn't be issues with loading an old msq onto the new code due to how the data is saved but that's only theory. I have seen issues before due to either the way the tuning software does things or other things happening. And when things start to go wrong, the only solution is to start with a fresh version of the firmware and re-enter most things manually. It may be that when burning as many bytes as a complete msq, there is more possibility of comm errors and if they happen at a wrong place things get screwed up.

So if weird unusual things start happening and nothing seems to fix it, it's always safe to reload the code and re-enter the data. The worse thing that can happen is that it doesn't do anything to fix the problem.

Jean

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 25th Jun, 2009 Paul S said:
Rod, have you noticed that on the Jimstim you get TPS Accel without touching the pot?

I have never seen that. This might be an indication of a bad solder somewhere. If it was happening in the car only I'd say it's noise from somewhere but on the JimStim, there aren't many noise sources. The only obvious one would be a bad power supply.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Actually, it would appear that the TPS gauge was jumping around with the MAP gauge and that was causing the TPS Accel to activate.

Definately a corrupt setup. Anyway, just re-loading the code.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

My understanding was that if the data structure changed, then a new .msq was needed.

As Jean has added the Hybrid settings and tables, then I would expect a new .msq, but it was worth trying the old one first.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

No, just tried it and I have to wind the pot up to get TPS accel and wind it down to get TPS decel.

Your's is obviously unstable for some reason - I'd try what Jean says first, there are obviously differences between our setups. Mine is totally stable on the Jimstim (once I reset the VR pot as I'm now used to doing....)

Have you lost your TPS calibration in the upgrade (although I doubt that should make any difference off the car).

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've reset the TPS calibration and the gauge reads stable when the engine is not running. Once it runs then the gauge jumps around, the pulse widths are all over the place and I cannot get a decent idle.

Live and learn.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Good point Rod. All the sensor calibrations are lost in an upgrade and even loading an msq won't restore them.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

My understanding was that if the data structure changed, then a new .msq was needed.

As Jean has added the Hybrid settings and tables, then I would expect a new .msq, but it was worth trying the old one first.

Well mine was fine on the old msq - all I noticed was that the new tables (ie timing 3) had the default values as my old msq didn't have any values to add...

BUT - I made lots of changes trying to get Megatune to work, before I knew we had to move to TunerStudio - so any embedded errors may have been eliminated in that change.......

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I've reset the TPS calibration and the gauge reads stable when the engine is not running. Once it runs then the gauge jumps around, the pulse widths are all over the place and I cannot get a decent idle.

Live and learn.

If the calibration is fine not running but goes all over the place once you start (assuming calibration was done on the stationary engine in the car) the first thing I would look at is a bad earth on the sensor wires (IAT and CTS as well as TPS)

Unless you get the same random behaviour on the JimStim in which case forget what I just said.......

EDIT - just to check, are you getting the synch light up as green all the time ("Ready" rather than "synch" in TS) or is flashing red with the other glitches ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Sorted.

It's running fine now. Just two injectors.

Time to bring in all four injectors and start a new thread.

EDIT: Now running four injectors.

I'm getting a reasonable idle with AFRs at 11-12:1, but with pulse widths around 1.3mSec. Any leaner, with lower pulse widths and its not a happy bunny.

Edited by Paul S on 25th Jun, 2009.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Good to hear that you've got it sorted.

With those short pulse widths, opening time precision becomes more important. You may need to start playing with it to get better results.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

First what was your initial problem ???

Second, I get pulse widths of about 1.6mS on the Jimstim at a simulated idle (ie, pulling vacuum on the MAP with a syringe) just now....

Pretty similar to an actual run here (part way down the page 2) at 14:1 (860cc injectors)

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...id=295719&fr=25

Idle was fine here.

I can't run the engine again at the moment despite all this development as I've taken the high pressure fuel system apart because of cutting/grinding/welding in the garage....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Firstly, I think that my problem may have been a corrupt setup due to re-using the old .msq.

However, in compiling the new .msq I noticed that all the default TPS rate values were ten times higher than the original .msq. TPSdot was 200 instead of 20 etc etc.

Now I'm guessing, but I think that maybe the resolution of the TPS rates has changed in the latest code version. The very small change in TPS values due to a very small voltage variation was bringing in Accel Enrichment.

My pulse widths are very low because I'm now using 970cc per port on a 1030cc engine. Plus it was pulling 43kPa MAP.

1.3mSec seems to be the limit for my engine and injectors.

Haven't you finished that welding yet?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

If there is a logical explanation, that's good, especially if it now works as you expect

Haven't you finished that welding yet?

No.... otherwise I would be catching you up fast...... *happy*

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

There has been a change in TPSdot but it wasn't in the latest update. Which version were you running?

Jean

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Four
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 2 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: