Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Good Garages & Parts Suppliers > MRA-Minis

longy

1547 Posts
Member #: 2727
Post Whore

Bicester

Just recieved my order of adj tie bars (ones featured in last months mini world). quick delivery reasonable price. very happy.

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

n.g.l.

370 Posts
Member #: 181

Chard, Somerset

I've bought a few items from their Ebay store. Always had fast delivery at a good price.

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

They wont get my money regardless of how quick it turns up, not after martin at MRA decided to threaten someone from here with legal action, all because they were selling dizzy blanking plugs and breaking a copywrite that does not exist and even other companies have sold them for years.

BAC imo

Edited by wolfie on 29th May, 2009.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

longy

1547 Posts
Member #: 2727
Post Whore

Bicester

feck, that shines a totally different light on them.

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

fastcarl

6962 Posts
Member #: 507
Fastest A Series Mini in the World

leeds/wakefield.

On 29th May, 2009 longy said:
feck, that shines a totally different light on them.

yes it does dosn't it,

carl

WWW.FORCE-RACING.CO.UK PLEASE CLICK HERE

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

On 29th May, 2009 wolfie said:
They wont get my money regardless of how quick it turns up, not after martin at MRA decided to threaten someone from here with legal action, all because they were selling dizzy blanking plugs and breaking a copywrite that does not exist and even other companies have sold them for years.

BAC imo

They wouldn't happen to be the ones that are very similar if not near identical copies of the two I had custom made for me some 5 or 6 years ago by chance?

Edited by Rob H on 20th Jun, 2009.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

n.g.l.

370 Posts
Member #: 181

Chard, Somerset

That's a bit naughty.

mra-minis.co.uk

30 Posts
Member #: 798
I invented dizzy blanking plugs

Midlands

Hi,

Just to give my side of this discussion.....

Firstly I do own the "design right" I have constantly kept MY design right up to date, as a way of protecting my investment, time and tooling, I have been making these for possibly longer than some of you have even been driving, I did my (own) ecu controlled engine in 1996, however I also worked on a project that required an A series blanking plug in the mid 80's I designed it, I own the design. it's really that simple, I am not appologising just because a few people decide to copy my parts, "Rob H" seems to be a major culprit on this one, and doesn't like it when I successfully protect my income and that of my employee's....

Let me ask you what would you do if someone came in to your work place and then decided to remove some of your salary, would you simply let them ? or would you just sit there and say here you are take it ??

Regards Martin

Thanks
Kind Regards Martin

http://www.mra-minis.co.uk

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Ohhhh Foook...

I think I may have broken someone's "design right".....

I modified a distributor a couple of months ago to turn it into a phase sensor - and I was stupid enough to post a picture of what I had done on this forum.....

A phase sensor has got to be a lot more illegal then a blanking plug that I could have machined up in 3 minutes.....

I need a good lawyer here please, can anyone help...

A blanking plug !!!!!!!!!!! and someone owns the design right for a hole !!!!!!

How sad.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

What is design right?
Design right is automatic - ie you don't have to apply for registration. It protects the design of the shape and configuration of articles or parts of articles for a maximum of 15 years in the UK. There is also a European Union (EU)-wide unregistered design right, which protects the shape, configuration, pattern and ornamentation of an object for a maximum of three years.

If you've designed a new image for an object, it will be protected by design right.

Your design can only be protected by design right if the design is original and not commonplace.

above is qouoted from some wiki type site.

is there any thing original about a metal bung?

Edited by Joe C on 19th Jun, 2009.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

mra-minis.co.uk

30 Posts

Midlands

Ohhhh Foook...

I think I may have broken someone's "design right".....

I modified a distributor a couple of months ago to turn it into a phase sensor - and I was stupid enough to post a picture of what I had done on this forum.....

A phase sensor has got to be a lot more illegal then a blanking plug that I could have machined up in 3 minutes.....

I need a good lawyer here please, can anyone help...

A blanking plug !!!!!!!!!!! and someone owns the design right for a hole !!!!!!

How sad.
UNQUOTE,

Unfortunately, you seem to be missing the point, I wasn't getting all bent out of shape over one or two here and there, I was however about the Company in question manufacturing batches of blanking plug to our design.

As I said earlier how do protect your income / pension ? :)

Thanks
Kind Regards Martin

philc

1394 Posts
Member #: 1346
Post Whore

bromsgrove

i love reading these debates it does make me laugh and only TMF

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I bought a 'plug' from MRA. Wouldn't fit up my ass, but was a perfect fit for my redundandt dizzy hole *happy*

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 19th Jun, 2009 mra-minis.co.uk said:
Firstly I do own the "design right" I have constantly kept MY design right up to date, as a way of protecting my investment, time and tooling, I have been making these for possibly longer than some of you have even been driving

What a load of crap.

The bung I bought from MRA-Minis did not fit so I had to machine it to fit!

"Kept MY design up to date" Ha Ha, it's an effing bung.

"Invest in time and tooling" It took me a few minutes to make my copy of your design.

"longer than most of you have been driving" - doubt it sunshine.

Doubt you will get much business from TM members in the future.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

If anyone has on their Avetar (sp?) "I invented dizzy blanking plugs" then I stand by my original post.....

Do you reallyt think you "invented" a blanking plug ????

I think the concept is fairly basic - hole needs plug, machine plug to fit hole......

Oh, and then go get a lawyer to sue someone else with the same size hole.......

If I use the base of a dizzy just to blank the hole (rather than turning it into a phase sensor) do I still get sued ???

After all, it must fit into the hole the same way as your "protected" one does.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I don't think this holds true. Under intellectual property law, there is the Must Match and Must Fit terms.

In our case it is "Must Fit" so in other words any distributor blanking plug must be of correct outer diameter as it "Must Fit" in the hole in the block, as bored by BL/Rover/whoever in the factory when machined from a casting.

Aside from that, I believe that if any 3 discrete dimensions differ from another product, then that is enough to mark it as different and therefore copyright is not valid.

So in this case as far as I know, the diameter comes under "Must Fit" and the other dimensions can be whatever whoever makes the plug wants them to be, and as long as they are different then I don't think MRA have a case.

Personally had my own plug made by a good friend with his alloy and his machine, who knows if it is a "copy" of the "design", it didn't take much designing when I drew mine up I have to say.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

mra-minis.co.uk

30 Posts

Midlands

I can't actually change the text on my Avatar, obviously someones idea of a funny game ?? and Yes I can prove it !

It is really funny how many people suddenly come out of the wood work and jump on the band wagon, I have always stated that if someone is unhappy about our products then they only need to return them for a FULL refund, or replacement. There is a small minority on this forum that seem to want to tear people apart from making a living........ I guess some people are just too frustrated for their own good :)
Regards Martin
Tom as a "site Admin" let me know how I can change the ridiculous text under my Avatar please.

Thanks
Kind Regards Martin

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

I have a drawing in CAD of the plug in my engine. I'll post the drawing of it on here tomorrow for all to download in dxf and iges format. I've never seen an MRA-mini's plug so can't be a copy. You'll all be welcome to use the sheepspeed racing designed plug as used on my engine totally free. Your also welcome to make thousands of them sell them for whatever you like. If however you become a millionaire, I wouldn't mind a pint.

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

"Rob H" seems to be a major culprit on this one, and doesn't like it when I successfully protect my income and that of my employee's....

Let me ask you what would you do if someone came in to your work place and then decided to remove some of your salary, would you simply let them ? or would you just sit there and say here you are take it ??

Unfortunately, you seem to be missing the point, I wasn't getting all bent out of shape over one or two here and there, I was however about the Company in question manufacturing batches of blanking plug to our design.

As I said earlier how do protect your income / pension ? :)

I'm somewhat confused. Some 5 or 6 years ago I had a mate make me two blanking plugs, at the time I'd never seen another one nor had I heard of MRA Minis. Of the two plugs I had made one is on my car and I gave the other to RogerM. I have since seen many similar looking blanking plugs, not surprising as making a bung that looks like the bottom of a dizzy is the most logical way to blank the hole in my view. I'm really not sure how that makes me a major culprit.

EDIT: The more I read this the more confused I get. You claim that you're not "getting all bent out of shape over one or two here and there" but at the same time you're calling me a "major culprit" and implying that I am seriously harming your companies business. If that isn't getting bent out of shape I'd seriously hate to meet you on a bad day. I am really confused.

Edited by Rob H on 20th Jun, 2009.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

to be fair, they are brilliantly complex designs, which must have taken years to develop, and only the highliest skilled machinest would dare take on the challenge of fabricating

take a look at this beauty, its complexity is mind bottling

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

giallofly

I helped keep this site alive!

4436 Posts
Member #: 164
The Stig..

Newport Pagnell

I am sure MRA Minis are flat out with their workshop with over 30! machines and staff that have "undergone one type of Apprenticeship or another" are not worried about some nugget taking ten minutes to turn down a bung with an oil seal.

The beauty above must have spent some serious time in the MRA research and developement department, hopefully it was designed by one of the staff with "several years of Aerospace Manufacturing experience" and not someone who has "undergone one type of Apprenticeship or another"

Keep the faith MRA, the Mini scene needs you.

JF.

On 21st Jan, 2011 fastcarl said:

therefore acheiving two things , a sore knob and a beer bellyl

fab

1497 Posts
Member #: 100
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

Whatever all the properties of the designed blanking plug,
and sure that it does represent billions of sales and profits.
I hope for your employes that you have more under the foot to sale, if not they're in danger,
then your words and caracter defo commercialy deserve them, there is already 6500 mini customers on this board, and you already show them all this shit, that's some commercial suicide, this should be teach at commercial school and your exemple shown as the very bad exemple "not what to do!"

Hi,

Regards Martin

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I am totally impartial to this debate *happy*

But I have a genuine Rover Dizzy blanking plug that came from the 1996 Nurburgring 24hr racer that later became P245 WFH Group A rally car that went on to compete in the Montecarlo Rally.

This plug is clearly seen in a few pictures in the book 'The Last Works Minis'

I also own an 'MRA Minis' plug, which needed a hammer to fit as the O ring was FT!! and I modified it by drilling a hole in the center from the outside and threaded it so I could fit a slide hammer to pull the thing out!!

Other than that, both stopped a leak

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

mole hill --->> mountain...

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi
Mine didn't fit for the same reason as sprockets but as I was selling the engine that week I neither had the time or inclination to send it back under complaint.
Cheers
Gavin :)

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

Home > Good Garages & Parts Suppliers > MRA-Minis
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: