Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > 998 Dished Pistons

1987_ParkLane

22 Posts
Member #: 5451

Melton Mowbray

Hi all,

I have done a search, and had a look around, but no luck so far, so loking for some light on this.

I am doing a supercharged 998 +40 thou, and the only problem so far is pistons.

After asking some questions, and finding out what was what, I found that really the best option for the piston choice was to get some of these pistons:

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=...998cc%20FLAT%20.

And the way to go was to get a 6cc dish machined into them. Anyway, I'm getting my engine work done at MED, and my good friend James is getting bits and pieces for me to them, for them moment, as I find it hard to get over there.

So he took the pistons over today, and MED said they were too thin to work with, and they can't get a dish put into them. So I have a few questions:

1. Is anyone using these pistons?

2. Any idea where the place to get them machined would be?

3. Or should I just try and send them back and try and get my money back (I hope it isn't this one :( ).

Cheers guys.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

It's been done before but I don't know if they have been used in anger:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=135934

I'd use a 12G295 head and leave the pistons as they are instead.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

1987_ParkLane

22 Posts

Melton Mowbray

On 15th Jun, 2009 Paul S said:
It's been done before but I don't know if they have been used in anger:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=135934

I'd use a 12G295 head and leave the pistons as they are instead.

Thanks for the reply Paul, I was going to use a 1275 head, chambers worked, etc. And it says in the description it can sit happly at 9.5 CR with a Cooper Head, so not sure. And I am only hoping to run the standard pully, etc, at about 8.5 CR (?).

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Flat topped pistons and the 12G295 give around 9:1.

The 12G295 will give plenty of power. You will only see an advantage from the 12G940 head if using very high revs.

The standard pulleys on an M45 will move far too much air for a 998.

I seem to be repeating myself as someone else said something similar this morning.

Why do people think that fitting an M45 to a 998 is a good idea??????

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Only reason I can think of is ease of installation, due to the kits from the likes of vmax and jonspeed. Also the fact that the M45 is readily available at a good price.

There will definately be better options out there. Just that people don't want to plow money into R&D etc.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Jun, 2009 minimadmotorman said:
Only reason I can think of is ease of installation, due to the kits from the likes of vmax and jonspeed. Also the fact that the M45 is readily available at a good price.

The problem for the 998 is that you need to slow it right down to get it operating in its comfort zone where it will produce power producing boost.

There are plenty of 1275s fitted with these kits that are running 15-20psi boost, but at high inlet temperatures that means that the air is not carrying the oxygen it needs to make power. Plus it induces detonation that will destroy pistons. The same kit on a 998 is a timebomb.

Unless you can get or make a crank pulley much smaller than standard, then it will end in tears.

1987_ParkLane

22 Posts

Melton Mowbray

Paul S - I know it isn't best suited for the 998, but its something different. I just want something different, and show it can be done.

Minimad - Yes it is due to easy, and I wish there were easier, cheaper methods out there, but there doesn't seem to be yet.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Jun, 2009 1987_ParkLane said:
Paul S - I know it isn't best suited for the 998, but its something different. I just want something different, and show it can be done.

I agree. One of my many enginbe projects is a supercharged 998, but using an Eaton M24 supercharger. I'm making a special pulley:

That should give around 10psi boost on the 998 with the M24.

Not much point in going much over 10psi boost on an Eaton as it starts to get inefficient IMHO.

Now to slow the M45 to give 10psi boost on a 998, the pulley needs to be around 65mm dia by my calcs. Possibly too small for the belt to get a grip of the pulley and very dificult to get the crank bolt in.

Minimad - Yes it is due to easy, and I wish there were easier, cheaper methods out there, but there doesn't seem to be yet.

It's easy to get it wrong, that's for sure.

Edited by Paul S on 15th Jun, 2009.

1987_ParkLane

22 Posts

Melton Mowbray

If I remember somewhere I read that the standard pully on the Eaton 45 gives around 10psi boost towards top end, I will try and find it. But I do agree, would be better with a smaller pully.

Now I have some numbers from James:

He said the piston crown was 6mm thick, and he measured the dish on a 1293 omega (6cc) and the dish was something like 5.2mm, but because the 998 pistons are a smaller diameter the dish would have to be deeper, therefore wouldn't be possible as the crown is too thin. ??

Doesn't look good :( .

1987_ParkLane

22 Posts

Melton Mowbray

Also forgot to mention, they offered me the only thing they had, 998 diched Omega's...at £450 *surprised*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

If I remember somewhere I read that the standard pully on the Eaton 45 gives around 10psi boost towards top end,

Right, I'm starting to feel like a miserable old git having a rant, but I am trying to guide you in the right direction.

Superchargers or turbochargers do not create boost. They create an air flow that causes boost pressure.

With a positive displacement supercharger, you can do some rough calcs to give an indication of likley boost.

An M45 pump 45 cubic inches of air per revolution. Thats about 740cc.

If you run the blower at engine speed it is pushing 1480cc into the engine. So if thats a 998, then it's taking in about 50% more air. To get the air into the engine it has to be 50% denser than normal. Thats 1.5 Bar absolute, 0.5 bar gauge or about 7.5 psig.

Once you take account of the heating of the air due to the compression, then in reality that would probably be about 10 psi boost.

If anyone quotes boost without reference to engine size or drive ratios, then it is of little credibilty.

1293 sprite

536 Posts
Member #: 5449
Post Whore

Melton Mowbray

Would it be possible / easier to make a larger charger pulley to give the same effect of a smaller crank pulley to slow the charger down?

On 25th Sep, 2009 mini13 said:
cool, i'll pop over with my tool and some lube, lol

1293 88.8hp 82.2ftlb

17.3 1/4 @ 78 mph

Naturally Aspirated (for now)

1987_ParkLane

22 Posts

Melton Mowbray

On 15th Jun, 2009 Paul S said:

Right, I'm starting to feel like a miserable old git having a rant, but I am trying to guide you in the right direction.

Superchargers or turbochargers do not create boost. They create an air flow that causes boost pressure.

With a positive displacement supercharger, you can do some rough calcs to give an indication of likley boost.

An M45 pump 45 cubic inches of air per revolution. Thats about 740cc.

If you run the blower at engine speed it is pushing 1480cc into the engine. So if thats a 998, then it's taking in about 50% more air. To get the air into the engine it has to be 50% denser than normal. Thats 1.5 Bar absolute, 0.5 bar gauge or about 7.5 psig.

Once you take account of the heating of the air due to the compression, then in reality that would probably be about 10 psi boost.

If anyone quotes boost without reference to engine size or drive ratios, then it is of little credibilty.

Erm....ok *oh well*

Also the alternative, so I have been told, would be a 120thou head gasket from:

http://www.performanceunlimited.co.uk/Come...istributor.html

Apparantly they can order one in from the US factory, but wouldn't that be like using a decomp plate, which I'm trying to avoid?

1987_ParkLane

22 Posts

Melton Mowbray

On 15th Jun, 2009 1293 sprite said:
Would it be possible / easier to make a larger charger pulley to give the same effect of a smaller crank pulley to slow the charger down?

Or get one off another car or something? I imagine making one would be expensive?

1293 sprite

536 Posts
Member #: 5449
Post Whore

Melton Mowbray

wouldn't have thought it to be that expensive. The smaller pulleys MED do to increase boost are around £70, so shouldn't be that expensive to do a larger one?

On 25th Sep, 2009 mini13 said:
cool, i'll pop over with my tool and some lube, lol

1293 88.8hp 82.2ftlb

17.3 1/4 @ 78 mph

Naturally Aspirated (for now)

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

dont 's have a 6cc dish as std?

and even forgetting that, the std 998 head is horrid by all accounts, stepping up to a 202/295 would both improve performance, and solve your cr issues

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

1987_ParkLane

22 Posts

Melton Mowbray

On 15th Jun, 2009 joeybaby83 said:
dont 's have a 6cc dish as std?

and even forgetting that, the std 998 head is horrid by all accounts, stepping up to a 202/295 would both improve performance, and solve your cr issues

I was going to get a worked head on it anyway to help lower the compression even more.

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

to what?

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

1987_ParkLane

22 Posts

Melton Mowbray

On 15th Jun, 2009 joeybaby83 said:
to what?

Are we on about the same thing lol?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Jun, 2009 1293 sprite said:

Yes, but I could not find anything ready made suitable.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Just to let you know, those pistons have been in since 2007 and survived more than most 998s see. So I can comfortably say there is enough meat for a 6cc dish.

Just to confirm, the dish is 2.8 mm deep and the crown thickness is now 3.3 mm. Not massive, but seems to holdup ok.

As for an M45 on a 998, I wouldn't put an M45 on anything!

Edited by wil_h on 15th Jun, 2009.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

1987_ParkLane

22 Posts

Melton Mowbray

Cheers for that wil, I will give MED a ring tomorrow about the idea you told me.

Cheers

Home > 998cc > 998 Dished Pistons
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: