Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Audi TT Intercooler results

MrTurbo

147 Posts
Member #: 814
Advanced Member

Utrecht, The Netherlands

I've installed two air temp sensors today to test the IC efficiency. One measures the air temp before the IC the other one the temp after the IC.

Results (ambient temp today was 20 degrees), running 15 psi of boost, 160 kmph (on a private road) for 5 minutes:

Temp before IC: 65-70 degrees, Temp after IC: 30-32 degrees. I guess the TT IC works great!

Picture of temp gauges (picture taken when engine was not running, hence the high temp reading):

stevieturbo

3575 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

How much boost ? I'm surprised how low the temps are before the IC

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

On 21st Jun, 2009 MrTurbo said:
running 15 psi of boost, 160 kmph (on a private road) for 5 minutes:

Stevie ^^^^ *wink*

Sounds like its working a treat!

Edited by matty on 21st Jun, 2009.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

MrTurbo

147 Posts
Advanced Member

Utrecht, The Netherlands

I have measured the temp at 15psi of boost. The airfilter is behind the grille as well, so the coldest air possible is sucked in. I guess that helps keeping the air temp before the IC a bit colder.

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

You should measure the temps in the turbo inlet the the turbo outlet. The move the sensors to the IC inlet then IC outlet. That way it will give you an idea how efficient the turbo is, and the IC efficiency.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

top stuff mr turbo have you any pics of the intercooler install ?

MrTurbo

147 Posts
Advanced Member

Utrecht, The Netherlands

Yep: here they are:

http://www.turbominis.com/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=294956

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

That 40 degree drop against a 50 degree difference means that it working at 80% efficiency.

Not bad considering that it is a relatively small intercooler sitting behind the grill and a spotlight.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

MrTurbo

147 Posts
Advanced Member

Utrecht, The Netherlands

hmm, funny, never thought of that spotlight being in the airstream of the IC.. I will remove it to see whether there is any difference..

sim_ou_nao

361 Posts
Member #: 114

Porto/Portugal

Hi,
what temp sensors are you using?

Pedro Silva

http://miniciados.blogspot.pt/

ian2000t

143 Posts
Member #: 2764
Advanced Member

Halesowen

Airflow at 100mph will be quite high - have you done any tests at lower speeds, like tight country lanes where you are only doing around 50-70mph but involve a lot of acceleration/braking?

1994 Mini Mayfair, 1330, Mspd Ph2 cam, Benross turbo head, 9:1, GT1752, TT Intercooler, MegaJolt, BMW M3 leather seats.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

This thread is 4 years old, so I dont rate your chances of a reply !

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

Sorry didn't realise due to sim_ou_nao's recent comment.

1994 Mini Mayfair, 1330, Mspd Ph2 cam, Benross turbo head, 9:1, GT1752, TT Intercooler, MegaJolt, BMW M3 leather seats.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Im impressed he managed to hold 15psi for 5 mins

Edited by Brett on 16th May, 2013.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

well said brett , 6 psi for 5 mins is wipers up the screen 6700 rpm in top madness on mine ,15 psi wold just be rev limiter for ages lol.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Doesn't say he held 15psi for 5 minites does it *wink*

Reads to me like he was cruising at 160km/h running max of 15psi

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

All i know i could accelerate 0-160kmh without water and still have iats lower than that and i doubt i would be on the gas much more than 15seconds
To partly answer ian2000t question i have done mahoosive data logs with much more accurate and faster sensors running 20psi minimum around my back lanes with and without water and with different mixes
My findings with a cossie cooler and it hung out the front of the bonnet and a rediculously efficient turbo, any speed below 50mph and the intercooler is not doing alot but gets warm, above 50mph my iats fall as fast as i can bump them up again
But this is my settup i found on the drag strip i cant keep iats in check without fans when stationary or water injection

Edited by Brett on 16th May, 2013.

Instagram @jdm_brett

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

Brett, that's interesting. So, for a daily driver that doesn't really see above 50 that often, is an intercooler still worthwhile?

What water injection do you use? A post-intercooler setup I assume? I have a Devils Own 3gph on my Volvo - no laughing please! *wink*

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

An intercooler is always worthwhile mate but if you not seeing above 50mph I doubt you will be boosting all over,
I was talking in terms of pure acceleration don't forget all the times your off the gas the intercooler will still be cooling down. Temps will rise when accelerating and drop when braking in my sett up its only above 50 when the intercooler can really get on top of the temp rise

Volvos are cool *wink* not long since got rid of mt T5, mine wi system is a devils own multipoint mappable system i bought the basic kit and the extras seperate but that's come off the mini now and found its way onto my daily drive ready for the big GT top mount *happy*

Edited by Brett on 17th May, 2013.

Instagram @jdm_brett

mini118118

87 Posts
Member #: 10069
Advanced Member

ooooooh i just bought a tt intercooler today, and noticed your post, do you have any pics of the install, i'm interested your pipe work, (on the car only*happy*)
cheers

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=294956

Home > Technical Chat > Audi TT Intercooler results
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: