Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Coil-over shocks... Options?

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I'm contemplating going 'coil overs' and am a little bit 'out of it' having not had a mini magazine for 2 years or so...

What setup would you reccomend - or perhaps definately NOT reccomend? I recall the 'protech' alloy shocks were supposed to be good - but that was many years ago!

Looking for something with a good spring availability, and damping adjustment.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

iain
Site Admin

8506 Posts
Member #: 16
Sold the turbo and seeing what the C20XE can do!

Near Lincoln

Now then.

I've just bought a set of protech alloy rears. Got them from huddersfield but they came the next day.

look good, but i only got them the other day.

front is a z cars subby and it uses protechs as well.

Wolfie mentioned that he had some rebuilt by them while he waited and they were good so customer service has to count for something.

Cant see springs being an issue for coilovers though. The ones on the protechs are progressive, i think 90-140 but i cant remember, i will look when i see them next! (at my folks!)

Prawn

667 Posts
Member #: 5232
Post Whore

basingstoke

I've got set of Gaz lowered coilovers on mine, on a 570kg car using the standard springs that come with the huddersfield kit.

the handling is brilliant on them, it still feels like a mini, and has almost no body roll, but is absorbs bumps far better than my previous gaz shock/cone setup did.

the only thing they're not great with is pot holes, where it sounds like a brick has come through the floor!

Mr. Prawn, the friendly Crustacean- slowly making steps towards forced induction.

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

i like the protech stuff, its a small place fun by the original engineer that did all the leda stuff 13pt adjustable, there only 15 miles from me if you want anything Dave

i have contacted them about a group buy, will wait for response

http://www.protechshocks.co.uk/products.htm

Edited by wolfie on 24th Jul, 2009.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Good skills Wolfie. I'd be interested in a set of standard front and rear shocks if it happens *smiley*

On 24th Jul, 2009 wolfie said:
i like the protech stuff, its a small place fun by the original engineer that did all the leda stuff 13pt adjustable, there only 15 miles from me if you want anything Dave

i have contacted them about a group buy, will wait for response

http://www.protechshocks.co.uk/products.htm

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Ben.

628 Posts
Member #: 1064
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

I drove up there and bought mine direct. He's a real nice guy and we both had a laugh at the shit quality of my old Gaz coilovers!

I would recommend Pro Tech!

Build Thread Click Here

minivan

14 Posts
Member #: 6698

Rotherham

I had coilovers and beem axle on the back of my,n. Took them off last month because they bang when going over the smallest of pot holes. Also the ride hieght can,t be ajusted. I've tried gaz and spax. They are crap and maybe ok on track, wouldn,t use this setup on the road. Not value for money.

www.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Is that not suggesting that you have too firm a spring or too hard a damper?

The only other explanation is the plain harshness because you've moved away from a rubber-insulated suspension to something that has no give whatsoever...

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

On 24th Jul, 2009 minivan said:
I had coilovers and beem axle on the back of my,n. Took them off last month because they bang when going over the smallest of pot holes. Also the ride hieght can,t be ajusted. I've tried gaz and spax. They are crap and maybe ok on track, wouldn,t use this setup on the road. Not value for money.

A bit of food for though:

On 11th Jul, 2009 turbominivanman said:
Gents.

Have an update to fitting my GAZ rear coilovers from Friday;

On 10th Jul, 2009 turbominivanman said:
Just a thought but there are two lengths of coilovers to cater for standard ride height and lowered.

My previous Spax coilovers smacked the crap out of the back suspension and I think its because I bought standard ride height coilovers in error when I should have bought lowered ones. My car is on 10's and could be considered low so its probably with good reason why I suffered what sounded like the dampers bottoming out over large bumps.

I've just finished fitting the GAZ replacements to avoid the effect and the literature definitely says they're lowered jobs so when I take it back out on the raod I'm hoping to have cured the banging noise over large potholes.

Will report tomorrow, weather permitting.

Have now given the van a good workout with the new rear shocks.

The lowered rear GAZ coilovers have completely eliminated my rear suspension banging / bottoming suffered with the previous Spax units, believed to be standard ride height jobs purchased in error.

It's good news - and now a pleasure to drive.

Each GAZ unit has 43 click adjustments on the hydraulic damper - I've got mine on the 18th click and the car's transformed. This is with 1.9 in ID progressive rate 80/125 lb springs and the beam adjusted to 0.5 deg negative rear camber and 3.2 mm toe-in.

edit: 0.5 degrees negative camber, NOT positive.

Cheers.

Richard.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Carl

2924 Posts
Member #: 95
Post Whore

liverpool-on-sea

i were finking of going coil overs simply to fit a rear beam to save weight.

BUT
what are the other advantages or dissadvantages?

no longer a series, but still 1.3 turbo.

On 28th Nov, 2008 Sprocket said:
Oh now that is a long shaft you have Carl.

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

I think any spax, gaz, avo etc shocks are good, and yes dont forget to get lowerd ones as all theyl do is bottom out?

Ive got protec's on mine and i think the bonus is ther alloy bodied so are lighter than the others.

Rick

andywaller

646 Posts
Member #: 1826
Post Whore

Maldon Essex

I think I'm right in saying pro tech sell an "extra" lowered rear coilover set up too which maybe useful if running very low.

best_stig

453 Posts
Member #: 6449

Brisbane, Australia

What do people usually run for 13s? lowered or standard? Ive heard standard, but the only reason i can think of for that is the increased height of a 13 inch wheel? Anyone else have any thoughts?

In boost we trust

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

the actual "height" of a 13 works out to be not that differet to a 10.

depends on tyres obviously,

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

best_stig

453 Posts

Brisbane, Australia

Thats what i was thinking.

On 25th Jul, 2009 mini13 said:
the actual "height" of a 13 works out to be not that differet to a 10.

depends on tyres obviously,

Can they be changed from raised to lowered? Is it the length of the piston inside?

In boost we trust

turbominivanman

1105 Posts
Member #: 1504
Post Whore

Westbury, Wiltshire

Dave.

Following on from my post which Rob picked up on on 10/11 July .....

My lowered Gaz are still fine - only had a couple of knocks from the rear on some 4 inch potholes which were way deep.

Definitely the right choice to make a beam and stick coilovers on. It's so light, I can lift the back end up in the air plus camber and toe are a piece of cake to sort !

I'm happier with the Gaz than I was with the Spax but if I had another chance, I think I'd have gone for Protech as I've seen their kit and it's far superior than any of the other brands, plus they're only 4 miles from where I live !

Go on you know you wanna do it.

Richard.

Minivanless, but reluctantly happy living with the decision. There'll be another one day.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minimadmotorman#p/u

best_stig

453 Posts

Brisbane, Australia

If there is a group buy, id be interested. Not sure how postage would go to aus though lol. Probs more than the product like usual lol

In boost we trust

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

No prob's forwarding stuff on to you again.

On 26th Jul, 2009 best_stig said:
If there is a group buy, id be interested. Not sure how postage would go to aus though lol. Probs more than the product like usual lol

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

Just dont use the same ones as Barrichello.

I have Protech on mine and rate them, theyre rebuildable and the valve sizes can be changed also

Paul

I seriously doubt it!

supermotolee

614 Posts
Member #: 2153
Post Whore

kings langley

i'd be keen on a group buy too, had spax in the past but the bracketry was rubbishand didnt allow you to run the car low, have to cut chunks out for clearence

Speeding is like masturbating, everyone does it, but not all of us film it and put it on the internet

[quote=fab,8th Oct, 2010]fuck off

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

The protech stuff looks good in many ways. The rear mount offset unit looks very well engineered.

best_stig

453 Posts

Brisbane, Australia

So has anyone got an idea on approximate cost?

In boost we trust

iain
Site Admin

8506 Posts

Near Lincoln

Dave, i'll put some pics up of the rear offsets tomorrow sometime *smiley*

they look nicely done.

iain
Site Admin

8506 Posts

Near Lincoln

as if you all sorting a group buy though just after i bought mine!!! *happy*

my rears were £208 posted

minimole23

4301 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

I'd be interested in a group buy too.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Home > General Chat > Coil-over shocks... Options?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: