Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Prawns 1380 trackday Toy: on the rollers at Slark today

Prawn

667 Posts
Member #: 5232
Post Whore

basingstoke

Hi guys, I've been meaning to start a projet thread for a little while, but not really having anything forced induction related to post, I've left it until now.

well, tomorow, I'm picking up a 1293cc MPI block, with 18cc accralites, from Eaton_mini on here, I've already got an M45 supercharger ready for the project, so it's about time i started a build thread!

I've been building the car, in various stages for about 6 years now, it's had a few smallish rebuilds, and many different engines.

Current engine is a 1380cc unit, with a fairly heavily worked S/midget bottom end (that'll be going into the MPI block), coupled with an MED 37x30 full race head with a matched 5'' inlet and 45DCOE, mspd ph3 cam, 1.5 roller tips, all sitting on top of a JKD straight cut box and drops, with a JKD X-pin diff.

I'll post more details later when I get home, and some pics of it's various incarnations over the years, but for now, here's a few pics a mate took recently whilst out for a drive

right, sorted some pics out now!

And an extra gay shot of me with my little motor:

Edited by Prawn on 13th Aug, 2010.

Mr. Prawn, the friendly Crustacean- slowly making steps towards forced induction.

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

edit: pics sorted now

Edited by Prawn on 16th Oct, 2009.

Mr. Prawn, the friendly Crustacean- slowly making steps towards forced induction.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

nice

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

EssexSteve

556 Posts
Member #: 7029
Post Whore

Wickford Essex

nice car

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Very Nice!

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

longy

1547 Posts
Member #: 2727
Post Whore

Bicester

Love the car really tidy

1972 998 TURBO SLEEPER

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

Cheers guys, the 1380 in it currently makes around 100bhp at the wheels (supposedly, although i doubt this to be honest). it used to seem pretty quick to me, but these days it just doesn't feel like anywhere near enough!

the plan is to build a blow through supercharger setup using an eaton m45, I know it's not the most efficient charger, but it was cheap and easy to get hold of, and it's been used with fairly good success in hundreds of suck through applications,
I plan to front mount the eaton, and having it blowing through an intercooler, into a turbo carb and fuelling setup, I'll be using an MPI engine as the base, including the MPI pulleys and tensioner, with an additional idler gear to ensure maximum belt wrap around the charger pulley.

I did think of turboing it, but decided I fancied the challenge of making something myself. I'm fully open to the idea of turboing it if the supercharger attempt fails!

Hoping for somewhere north of 140 nanas with somewhere over 110-120 curly wurlys

Ben.

628 Posts
Member #: 1064
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

Looks awesome mate!

Didnt realise your not to far from me.

Build Thread Click Here

pulse

112 Posts
Member #: 2011
Advanced Member

Ashington, West sussex

that is very nice! i wouldn't change a single thing!

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

love your tank set up, will be copying that!

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Cracking looking motor !

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

nice dash too, very tidy

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

nice car!

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

very nice!

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

Cheers guys,

Joey, the tank setup is done with a flat metal boot floor in place of the original, I figured whilst I was having the rear arches tubbed and turretted, I may as well get the floor sorted as well, so this seemed like the obvious way to lower the C of G.

the box is able to be so big because there's no rear subby:

I left the gap down the side to fit the pump and keep everything nice and low, and with the boot boards in, I've got a huge useable boot too!

minimole23

4299 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

I really like this, I've noticed it at a few events. I mabie even spoke to you but can't remember!

Where abouts do you live, I seem to remember seeing this in the gurston down car park at the end of september.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

I live in Basingstoke Mole:)

I was indeed at Gurston for the last round of the Gurston Championship at the end of september!

it's constantly evolving, but getting closer and closer to how i want it.

Jackman

695 Posts
Member #: 984
Post Whore

Westhoughton, Bolton

Thats nice!

How big is that tank?

Manchester Minis

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

love it, is the dash home made? its almost identical to my drawings and really does look good in the flesh

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

That is very much the sort of look that we will be aiming at for our ex-Miglia, once we get the drivetrain sorted.

Excellent work.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

rosco454

611 Posts
Member #: 5222
Post Whore

Northumberland

Great car,lots of nice little touches on it.

On 20th Jan, 2011 apbellamy said:

I have a bit of a fetish for tools

Prawn

667 Posts
Post Whore

basingstoke

thanks for all the nice comments chaps! makes the hard work and money seem a little more worth it!

Jackman: the tank is around 6.75 gallons I believe, I designed it to be 700x440x100, which comes in at 30.8 litres without the sump volume, so I've still got a fairly decent range at 180 miles. yet it sits entirely below the line of the boot lid, so I can use the boot fairly well if needs be.

Brett: I'm good friends with the guys who run Mintec Minispares, and they made the dash for me, so it's home made in the sense that it can't just be bought, we kind of tried a few different ideas, and ended up with this after a fair bit of work, it's got captive nuts welded under the dash rail all around to secure it.

Cosmeticly I'm fairly happy with it, although once I've finished the charged engine, i want to get a set of Carls 7x10 splits to fill the arches a tad better.

Oli

1733 Posts
Member #: 1910
Post Whore

Wilts

That looks bloody awesome!

Although i feel it needs a grille and some headlamps rings.

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
the pissed up clown stood back up, did a twirl and left bollock naked,

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

thats a cracking looking car; only thing that doesn't look quite right in my eyes are the wheels though - they don't offend but I just think the car maybe deserves something a bit more impressive given the rest of it

eaton_mini

238 Posts
Member #: 1649

West Sussex - dreaming of forced induction!

Wow, thats nice!!!

So when its done you gonna take me for a spin??? My lardy arse might upset your balance a bit though LMAO

Home > Show Us Yours! > Prawns 1380 trackday Toy: on the rollers at Slark today
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: